1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ikaruga

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Sinzer, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Received this on Saturday from DVDBoxoffice, managed to get in a few hours on the weekend.

This game really is the dog nanglies of shoot em ups. The design is awesome, this game really relies on a lot of skill and a little bit of luck. The simplicity of the game is also astounding, no huge weapons, just one ability that has to be used very effectively. To me this game seems more of a puzzler than a shoot em up, you really have to think about what is coming next.

The learning curve is kind of steep, but there is always hope, especially with lots of practice options. The first time I played on easy I couldn't complete the first level without using a credit, now I can complete the first two without even touching a credit and sometimes without losing a life. (I can even rack up a few nice chains now :p)

If anyone is hankering for some old skool difficulty coupled with modern graphics, you have to buy this game. I believe though if you are only a soft core gamer then this game may have some appeal, but you will likely get frustrated with the difficulty.

I can't wait for Treasures next release!

2. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sinzer,

How does it compare to the dreamcast version (if you have seen it of course!)????

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I have never played the DC version. By all accounts though it is supposed to be the same.

4. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great game... also got mine on Saturday from DVDBO.

Is it me, though, or is this game bloody hard? :eek:

5. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got the JAP GC version last January. It's a brilliant game IMO and one that really stands out from the rest of my games.

Yes, it's incredibly hard but the sense of achievement after getting a new high-score or finishing the game is a rare one indeed :)

After 7 hours you unlock a Free Play mode (infinite continues)...I couldn't imagine completing the game without it tbh. The last 2 levels are ridiculously hard, yet I've seen videos of people finishing them without losing a single life...

6. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110

I'll answer that.

It the same.