1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 & 451 - advice needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by unreality, Jan 5, 2005.

1. unreality

unreality
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an iiyama Vision Master Pro 451 monitor from Scan on the 18th of May 2001.

Problems soon developed with the monitor, which included purple discolouration in the corners of the monitor, as well as a blurry image on portions of the screen.

I decided to take the matter up with iiyama directly rather than seek a refund as they swap the monitors out for another if a problem occurs.

After three swap outs, each 451 developed the same fault after a few months. I spoke to iiyama on the telephone and managed to get a Vision Master pro 454 sent out instead. This pleased me as I figured the 451 was prone to these problems, and a Google search agreed.

Back in May 2004 I realised the same was happening to my 454, and instead of contacting them for yet ANOTHER swap out (which would involve me and my ageing father having to lug a huge monitor up an awkward set of winding stairs), I lowered the resolution and this seemed to rectify the problem a bit, if not fully.

I realise this was silly as I would've been better off contacting iiyama for another swap out or Scan for a refund, but I was really fed up of having to wait in for another monitor to be brought, bring it up the stairs etc and have the problem occur again in a few months time.

Now recently my 454 (which is the fourth swap out in total) has developed the blurring problem again. I have decided to contact the retailer I bought it from (Scan) because I feel I am getting nowhere with iiyama.

A quick Google search reveals I am not the only one experiencing these problems with this monitor, although not much information is availible so I decided to post here to see if anyone has had the problems and what was done about it.

I have had a look at my invoice and it seems my warranty has ended in May 2004. Do I have any further rights considering the number of problems I have had and swap outs? Indeed would the guarentee be reset when I received a new swap out? I believe I got the 454 in May 2002 but it could have been later.

I was hoping that someone in here may have the same monitor in order to see if theirs went the same way and what they did about it. Its a shame really, except for the blurring problems it has been a cracking monitor and I will be sad to replace it with another model, but I doubt I would buy another iiyama monitor after this experience.

2. Yandros

Yandros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hmm, interesting...very interesting.

As it happens, my desk at work is currently home to two Iiyama 450s and a 451. I'm busy setting up a new PC for myself and trying to work out which one I prefer. I've had a LOT of experience with Iiyamas. We started with with original 17" VM Pro (lots of 'em), I use a couple of 17" 410s at home, and we've got the 450, 451 and the 21 inch one (5xx of some sort). I LOVE the 17" Pro series. They go on forever and have perfect focus to the bitter end (ok so a couple have dodgy convergence after 9 years, but I'll let that pass). The 450 was also very good, although I've now got three aged models around the office with various focus issues. The worst is dreadful in the bottom half, with other 2 have just drifted enough all over to be annoying. However, they're all pretty old, so I'm not going to complain - we got our moneys worth. The two 451s have been nothing but trouble since day 1. The focus is poor on the 451 I'm testing, and the brightness on both pulses occasionally. There are other bizzare quirks too. The 5xx series monitor is ok, but the clarity is poor compared to a 17" tube, or even the best of our Iiyama 19" sets. Up until recently, I would've had no hesitation in recommending Iiyama, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the 451 was a lemon, and the quality has slipped on all models significantly since the early days. Like you, I doubt if I'll trust their current line up again.

As for what we've done about them - I've only ever swapped out three. One blew up on day one, and two arrived damaged. All handled with zero fuss by Iiyama.

You might want to write a letter to Iiyama giving chapter and verse on your problems. You *might* get some joy out of them, and for the price of a stamp it's worth a shot.

If you love the Iiyama picture, but don't trust them anymore, you could always try an NEC Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB. I've no personal experience of them, but I gather they're the same Diamondtron tube technology, and of the same picture quality as the Iiyama version.

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have a word with a friendly solicitor to establish your rights under the law before making an approach. It strikes me as a legal rather than technical issue. I used to know about these things years ago, when the Sale of Goods Act and ROMALPA (EC legislation via case law) first conflicted, but that was many years ago. I'm sure, however, you will find a legal remedy, at least to stand, if not act upon.

You might care to contact them and copy the letter you send to the likes of PC Pro magazine, which carries a consumer watchdog section. They've had a lot of success on behalf of readers with such problems as yours.

Good Luck!

PS I am no monitor expert, but the NEC Mits looks a better spec than the the Iiyama.

4. unreality

unreality
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice mephistopheles. I have found a URL to help strenghen my case (users complaining) at http://www.itreviews.co.uk/forum/4018 who all have very similar problems as mine. I'm going to post to a legal newsgroup shortly to ask for advice. I think my one mistake has been letting the initial warranty peiod expire, although I haven't had this swap out monitor for 3 years yet so I suppose it will come down to iiyama's policy or the law. I will update this thread when I get a response from iiyama.

5. unreality

unreality
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone from the forum has emailed me about my experience with the 454 and getting a refund, which reminded me of posting this.

I just noticed I promised to update the thread. So here it is, a little late, but still!

Here are excerpts from my email response to the person who enquired, to update this thread.

I'm particularly interested to hear of anyone else who has been in a similar situation (especially with iiyama) and if they managed to get their money back.

As I was fed up of receiving new swap outs from iiyama I decided to contact the place I bought the monitor from for a refund, but they didn't want to know about it since it was bought more than a year ago. So I decided to just call iiyama and ask for a swap and described the problem, as I have before.

I didn't mention that my actual warranty had expired (assuming it starts on purchase date, and lasts for 3 years and is unaffected by swap outs). Happily the customer service girl didn't ask when I bought it and they duly brought another 454 and took the old one away.

The swap out monitor worked OK, but by this point I'd had enough of iiyama's monitors, so I did my research on modern monitors which were decent & value for money, and bought a 19" 'Digimate' TFT monitor from www.aria.co.uk to replace it, at a decent price (£200 a few months ago). The swap out iiyama 454 is sitting in my room now unplugged on the floor, I do plan to try to sell it sometime on eBay or privately or whatever. But I'd feel bad even doing this since the chances are it will develop the fault again, but maybe I can just sell it for say £100 and be done with it.

The 454 became so blurry that it actually made me feel phsically sick to use it. I am convinced that the entire 451 series had an inherant fault, and the 454 was brought out to try to quietly rectify the problems, but still had many problems of its own.

Ideally, I'd like still like a refund myself, but as I said I'd be happy at this point to unload the 454 for £100 or so and just get on with things. And I think the fact that I bought the first one in 2001 would be a stumbling block.

6. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just buy a Samsung TFT, it'll R0X0R.

7. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: