1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iiyama LCDs for TV and HTPC

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by eddie_talbot, Sep 28, 2004.

1. eddie_talbot

eddie_talbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading with interest some of the talk around here in regard to the limitations of LCD TVs when they are fed a PC signal.

My own intention is to buy an LCD screen to be used as a standalone TV to start with, and then graduate to using it simply as a display to pump PC output to.

It appears that the other threads are not too complimentary of the 1366x768 screens such as the Philips 9986 in the latter regards, so I went hunting around to find alternatives.

An interesting one I've seen is on the Iiyama site (http://www.iiyama.co.uk) there is the ProLite C300WT - a 30" LCD with built-in TV tuner. The resolution is 1280x768 which is not the highest resolution out there and it doesn't have DVI or in-built Freeview, BUT :-

* 16msec response time
    * SCART, Video, S-Video, Component Video, VGA inputs

See full spec at : - http://www.new-monitors.co.uk/fulldetail.asp?ID=98

It even comes with a driver presumably to help configure your PC to the monitor. Best of all though is price - the above lists it at less than a grand which for a 30" screen I think is very good (not sure about VAT whether it's included or not).

The Iiyama blurb says "It provides the utmost viewing comfort for both 16:9 and 4:3 formats. No matter if it is TV, video or DVD – the 30" screen will present it perfectly!" Reading between the lines, that says to me "yeah we know that there are problems with bigger resolutions when trying to drive them with PCs so here's our monitor which is slightly less resolution but at least it'll work properly without having to muck about with PowerStrip if you're going down the HTPC route"

If you want a bigger screen and DVI then you need to pay twice as much for one of these :- http://www.new-monitors.co.uk/fulldetail.asp?ID=100

Am I missing anything here ? People are going for the big brands like Panasonic, Sony and Philips, but let me tell you I've owned an Iiyama CRT monitor before and I thought it was quality kit.

2. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi eddie,
    I'm almost in the same situation as you; I want a monitor with TV capabilities rather than a TV with PC in that cannot cope properly with my requirements.

In this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82 you can see which is going to be my choice. It's a 30" Philips, model 300WN5QS and its specs are almost the same as the Iiyama (well the Philips has both VGA and DVI and some other features). An the price is 1999€ (aprox. £1352).

After reading the Terms & Conditions of the link you provide, it seems the VAT isn't included on the price, but even for £1154 looks tempting for a 30" Iiyama monitor.

Cheers.

3. eddie_talbot

eddie_talbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The average online price for the Philips you specify is about £2000 so if you're getting it for £1352 that's amazing... can you tell us where from ?

Are you sure that what you're getting is not some sort of 2nd rate grey import or something ?

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    The original Iiyama 32 that came out got ripped to pieces as they used a 30ms panel
    if this new one is like my IIyama 19" C480T in TV capabilities then is simply lustful, and my C480T uses a 25 ms panel with a turbo to 12 on fast action scenes.

However new C480T's are believed to be using a new 16ms Fujistu panel

if Iiyama have learned their lesson, and followed the C480T's footsteps the new 30 may just be the best bang for your buck, just read Home Cinema's reviews

it has one downer, only 1 scart and no DVI

my c480T has DVI

5. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's a spanish newspaper (El Mundo) promotion; if you want to take a look, here is the Babelfish translation.

DVB-T has been recently introduced in Spain and I guess this has something to do with that fact; like a Philips - El Mundo agreement to introduce it to the masses. In fact, there are 3 Philips products promoted and you can't get the DVB-T receiver if you haven't ordered any of the two LCD screens.

Well, anyway, it's very welcomed.

Regards.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    that iiyama looks nice. Bit big for regular PC use though?

There is a philips 30pf9946 at £1299 on RGBdirect. Has all the connectivity you talk about (DVI etc), 16ms panel, and supports full res 1280x768 @ 60Hz and 75Hz. Ideal for HCPC work.