1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iiyama C480T

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ramtec, Jan 12, 2004.

1. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a panny AE300 and want to re-arrange my study to turn it into a kind of home cinema room/computer room. I currently have two 21" CRT's and would need to go LCD panel (wall mount) in order for the projector screen to be able to come down in front of it. The two CRT's would go and a sofa would be installed one end.

I've been looking at getting the Iiyama C480T as my main computer display plus a spot of TV.

I will have two pc's connected via switch box (the sofa end) and a desk the other with RF mouse and keyboard on it (10'4" from one end to the other), with an LCD on the wall, I have an ATI 'all in wonder' 7500 and RF remote so I could go down the LCD monitor route, but would need to make sure the pc was booted in order to watch TV, a slight pain. But I kind of like the idea of integrated TV and I originally thought about the LG RZ17LZ10 which I could get for £500.00, a 17" LCD monitor on it's own was going to cost me say £300-400 so I thought it would be nice to get it all integrated. I am now put off by the lack of DVI input on the LG. I'm going to have to run a monitor cable over 10 feet and think this will end up making the display too poor?

I then saw a few reviews on the C480T both good. I can get this for around £865 delivered it has DVI input, 19" screen and side speakers looks nice etc and 3year onsite cover. It is not widescreen only 4:3, but thought this'll be good for using it with the PC, prob 90% use.

I've now seen a poor review from PC Pro (who I rate) so I am wavering slightly.

What are your thoughts?

1 LCD TV or just LCD monitor

2 DVI or will Dsub be ok?

3 Running a cable (DVI or Dsub) 10 feet?

4 C480T - if you've got it how do you rate it for computer use?

5 should I be holding out for widescreen not 4:3?

6 Is there another panel out there that I haven't considered (£900 is really my limit)

Thanks in advance for your help

2. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump

3. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    come on guys anyone?

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I have this monitor, I bought it to replace my old NEC 15" and my 28" philips TV in my bed room, at which it has done a sterling job, especially Playing BF1942 while watching Pulp Fiction in PIP* Last Night:smashin:

As a reference I also Have an iiyama CRT 451 Pro 19" monitor in my second system, this uses the famous diamond Tron screen which was one of the best in its time.

wouldnt give it a second look now compared to my c480T, its fact the image isnt anywhere near as sharp, it lacks TV features, and I dont see any in game blurring.

One thing u will notice about this panel if u buy one is how bright it is, infact its so bright for my eyes I use it in ECO mode 2 (40% less)

does the c480T has any drawbacks?

of course its PIP is only available in PC mode like many TFT's.
    It has a stylish glass screen so dont shine any desk lights directly at the screen (Y u would want to I dont know)
    its scart is SVideo enabled not RGB.
    oh yeah it has a fan to add to the list of components i have that make noise.

You have to decide what u want, I decided I would use the screen for 75 percent PC based stuff and 25 percent else so the 480t was perfect as the 4-3 screen would be PC standard, also I now have my C480T on a desk arm, and my bed is 4ft away so widescreen movies look great (via component its stunning) and not too small.

It also makes a great xbox screen too.

now u ask me do I like this monitor it has one dead pixel when I got it and one dead sub pixel and im still a very happy bunny:D

5. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ironduke, I think you've almost convinced me although is there anything out there better at the moment with say £900 to splash? The lack of RGB and fan have put me off a little.

Ironduke have you read the PC Pro review they slate the PC monitor performance?

6. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    if thats the review where the guy has nothing good to say about the TFT then yes(has to be I have only read one bad review of the 480 and 4 good ones including this sites very own mr Archer who calls it the best Debut in LCD TV history.

The guy talks about blurring or ghosting if I had that I would find someway to send a 930 quid monitor back for a refund, especially as the TFT I had before was the NEC1550vm 15" which when it came out was rated very high by many. The 480T blows that away.

all I know is its the best piece of kit I have bought for my PC.