1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iiyama C480T LCD TV weird High pitch noise?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bob Todd, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I recently bought this super monitor from Dabs 2 weeks ago, The picture, the multimedia the looks are brilliant but I have noticed something in PC mode that is starting to annoy me.

The internals(its not the speakers) let out a high pitched noise which increases and decreases depending what is on the screen.

it usually kicks in when there is lots of text on a white back ground, and changing windows and scrolling effects it.

Is this normal or does it sound like a fault?

apart from that I love LCD as a monitor and a TV, and have already spoken to iiyama via email who said the only noise should be coming from the internal fan.

2. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I have two Sharp LCD TVs and they both have a very quiet high pitched whine coming from them. Strangely, the whine increases as the overall picture content gets darker. On my Panny Plasma the screen noise increases as the overall picture gets lighter.

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    this aint quiet, you can hear it about 10 feet away

4. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are you sure it is not the power supply?
    I say this because I had a very loud high piched noise from my
    CTX Flat Panel which turned out to be the PSU.
    Azzo.

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    nope the power supply hums like most do but thats out of the way on the floor.

update I swapped it on tuesday and immediately run the Nokia test, on the Text test the screen whistled like a kettle(eek)

funny thing is this replacement doesnt (sofar) do it in all the other apps the prior one use to, so so far im a happy bunny.

I just hope its not one of those noises that eventually kicks in, because it is a super monitor and an excellent TV

6. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Best of luck with it.
    Most Flat panels carry a decent warranty these days, as I guess manufacturers don't expect them to go wrong.
    Azzo.

7. Londonner

Londonner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just received this monitor and I know exactly what you are referring to:

There is a very high pitched noise (not the fan, nor the power supply) which varies in loudness depending on the app that's being used. It is at it's most annoying when lots of text is on the screen e.g. Notepad document. And not so bad when some apps are minimised or not open.

I can hardly believe how loud it is. It's like having another PC in the room; and it can be heard from the other side (about 10-15 feet away).

Has anyone experienced this: is it a 'hidden' feature? or do we have faulty units?

The fact that your second swapped unit emitted an even louder noise makes me hesitant in changing this (even though I do have one dead pixel).

Thanks

8. Londonner

Londonner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update:

I called Iiyama and described the problem. An engineer called me back an hour later and advised that they'll need to replace the unit with a new one.

I asked if this was a known issue and she said yes. They're dropping off the new replacement on Tuesday and taking the old one back at the same time.

So far, very impressed by Iiyama!

Will post back to let you know whether the replacement works.

Cheers

9. Londonner

Londonner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The following is for people who search on this topic in the future:

The new monitor arrived and there is NO HIGH PITCH NOISE! If you experience this noise when you buy your monitor (and probably why you're reading these posts), contact Iiyama immediatley and ask for a replacement; in my case, by just describing the problem they suggested a replacement themselves so it appears that it is a known issue.

The new monitor still makes a definite change in tone when say a text based document is opened, but this is no way as bad as it was in the original model I received. I guess with all that's packed into this monitor for this price (component progressive scan!) then it can't all be perfect. Maybe Iiyama will sort it out in the next revision of this range.

Anyway, even though they screwed up the replacement by sending me a corporate version (without stand or handle) a day late on Wednesday, I got on the phone and expressed displeasure and they finally came good today by sending one direct from factory using priority courier!

(On a side note: luckily, whilst the first had a couple, this one has NO dead pixels!)

:thumbsup:

10. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think the high picthed noise is caused by a power supply stepping up the voltage to drive the back lights. Anyone who has a Pronto knows this noise!

Iiyama have always had a good reputation for high quality screens. A friend had one of the 21" monitor that when switched made a "Bong" sound which could wake the dead! But the picture quality more than made up for it.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

11. knowitall005

knowitall005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's making the noise cause your refresh rate is set too high. Lower it a bit and it should go away.

KIA