IHS: “UHD could be another 3D”

Discussion in 'Film & TV On Demand Streaming Services' started by JabbaNut, Dec 22, 2016.

1. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Well only just read this and have heard and known of rumbles before over UHD and HDR . This article is about UHD though. source IHS: “UHD could be another 3D” |

Who knows the out come?

I think 1080HD with HDR ( HDR has flaws too ) could have a market. Worth noting a lot of post production is still done in 2K for 4K.

2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    The biggest issue or obstacle IMHO, depending on your viewpoint, is the relatively poor job that 4K panels do in upscaling SD and, to a lesser extent, HD material. It's the major reason that I've put off buying a 4K TV. In my experience, upscaled SD (Freeview) generally looks appalling, whilst HD, although better, still looks worse that native HD on a suitable panel. Until there's a real move to UHD content everywhere, which seems unlikely, I think that UHD will struggle. That manufacturers are effectively forcing 4K TVs on us doesn't help, but I expect to be holding off buying a 4K set for as long as I possibly can.

Clem

3. vader100

vader100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    What panels have you seen? My Panny dx902 upscales HD TV broadcastS superbly. Planet Earth was sumptuous, as is most sport. Yes SD is poor but that is to be expected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I can't recall the exact model numbers, but I've checked-out TVs from Sony, Panasonic, LG and Samsung - all of the major players - and they all looked rubbish to me. Some of it could well have been down to picture processing settings, but SD upscaled on 55-inch panels was dire, and SWMBO agreed. As I said, HD was better, but again, obviously upscaled to me, with loss of fine detail and solarisation effects on flesh, for example. I guess that the more expensive the TV, the better the scaling, but the larger screen sizes just emphasise the mess.

Clem

5. nickymarshall

nickymarshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Sky HD looks fantastic on my Sammy KS9000

6. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,336
    I think the problem you have is you are still watching SD. I barely do. I watch HD channels, have blu-rays and UHDs and I watch HD or UHD from Amazon Prime.

What SD are you watching?

7. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    How can my continuing to watch SD content a problem? If something that I want to see is only available in SD are you suggesting that I should not watch it because it will look rubbish when upscaled on a 4K TV? What utter twaddle!

IMHO the push by manufacturers to get us all to buy 4K TVs is like a solution waiting for a problem to arise. 4K material does look very good. I accept that. However, to my eyes, and those of my wife, who has better eyesight than I, upscaled HD, but in particular SD, generally looks appalling. When you consider that in the UK the largest delivery of TV is via Freeview, with its poor data rates for SD transmissions (and to a lesser extent HD) any 4K TV that's purchased as a replacement for an older set and delivers Freeview is by definition going to deliver poor picture quality unless fed by a 4K source. Freesat fairs a bit better in my experience when upscaled, but it's still not stellar.

When you consider that the whole 4K platform specs. are in a continual state of flux -- does your TV support HLG, for example, that BBC is investigating and will be mandated in the Freeview Play 2017 specs., it just seems to me that Joe Punter is being used as a continual cash cow. There's very little 4K content available at present, which compounds the issue.

I accept that the quality of the scaling engine will govern how well any SD/HD content is scaled, but in order to get the best you have to lay out a serious chunk of change. More reasonably priced 4K panels don't do such a good job, but for most people those TVs are the level at which most consumers will buy.

I'm happy that you're enjoying 4K. I hope to one day too, but not until standards settle and 4K content is more the norm, rather than the exception.

Clem