Igboran lurker asks- DMR-EX75EB-S or 77?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by earwax, May 5, 2007.

1. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I do not contribute often. I am a lurker. I intend to get Sky, and if I need to record a program, while I watch another program I shall be content either to watch digital and record analogue or record analogue and record digital.I do not want to pay SKy for Sky+. From what I have read on the Forum I am attracted to the Panasonic DMR-EX75EB-S, as a replacement for my aging VCR. Do you think it will do a good job for me? However I see that there is also a new model DMR-EX77EB-S. Would that be suitable for me? As well as recording programs to the hard disk, I want to be able to play back pre- recorded CDs and DVDs and slide shows I may make.

The new model seems to have less features than the old, and, being new to all this, I am confused. I have made an attachment of the comparison from Panasonic’s site and hope you kindly will point out the pluses and minuses that apply particularly to my wants. My questions are probaly stupid, so please be kind:)

Attached Files:

2. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have realised that I messed up the attachment:blush:, so have done another. Please accept my apologies. I hope you will still help :)

Attached Files:

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    One critical issue may decide the issue for you immediately, is whether you can receive Freeview yet.

If you cannot ... then do not even consider the EX77, as it ONLY has a digital tuner which will not be able to bridge you until a time when you can receive Freeview.

The EX75 has an analogue and digital tuner which would allow you to bridge over such a period of transition.

One startling thing which emerges from the comparison you have prepared, is that it appears that the EX77 does NOT have an AV4 input... which I had just assumed it would, in line with the machine it replaces.

However ... the detailed specification of the EX77 has still not been released yet ... so I will reserve judgement on that point until it can be confirmed.

I would not be expecting any great differences between the machines other than the ones mentioned, but it is impossible to be certain about the pros and cons of each machine until that detailed information is released.

4. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for reply. Unfortunately not in FV area so that's why Sky ( or Freesat), I do hope that the 75 is not being phased out, but will need to put skates on JIC.

It'll do the other things I want??

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    In that case do not delay too long... I would expect it to start to disappear as stocks deplete.

In regard to what it will permit you to do...

You can watch one existing recording while making another.

You can do chase live tv recordings.

You can watch a disk whilst recording another programme, [ provided the disk is the same Mode standard as the recording being made. ie PAL ]

You can watch sky whilst recording from the EX75's internal tuner.

Note that you cannot do the opposite ... that is record sky and watch something from the internal tuner of the EX75 ... but as you do not have Freeview yet there is no real need for that... Most users only wish to do that when their DVDR is their sole digital tuner. You will be able to use your TV tuner for normal watching under those circumstances.

6. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have done the deed and bought a 75 this afternoon. As I said in the OP, I have not yet obtained Sky or FreesatfromSky and therefore have been trying to set the apparatus up to work with TV to receive and record the analogue channels. I think I have done it correctly as per book.
    1. Aerial down-lead to RF in on DVDR
    2. RF out on DVDR to TV
    3. SCART from AV1 on DVDR to AV1 on TV, (I have AV1 and 2 available.)
    4. Connected power lead.

From then on I am having trouble. According to the set up set up guide and manual, when the unit is switched on it should search first for digital channels and then the analogues, but I could see mo signs of activity either on the machine or the TV screen and BTW TV does have Q Link. I then tried just in case it had all happened to use the Video+ on the remote. The screen changed from the channel I was viewing to black with EC1 in top corner and sound went off.

I am thinking I must be stupid, as the handbook is proper muddling me, but I never had problems with setting up my VCR.
    What the dickens am I doing wrong, or messing apart from a few marbles? Help please!

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Hi - I don't have long .. I have to go out soon but I will be back late tonight to help out if you are still stuck.

But at first glance I would say that maybe this unit has been plugged in before and is therefore not going through the set up routine.

So - Firstly ensure that there is not a silly one going on here and that the scart is fully home at both ends.

Next - it will make it easier if you can constantly see the output to monitor what is going on ... So Goto :

Functions / To others / setup / Connections ... and change the AV1 output setting from RGB 2 to RGB 1.

Next ... go into the menus to do a shipping condition reset ... That will also be in setup [ see page 53 of the manual.

Thereafter you can start again.

Good luck - Ill check back late tonight if you still require help.

8. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks.

I spotted that under the front flap are up down buttons. Using these it seems there are 4 analogue channels listed (and oddly one digital???). So perhaps the tuning has taken pace after all. If it has, there is still the problem with the use of Video+ and also using the “Functions / To others / set-up / Connections” process. I press functions and the screen goes blank with EC1 in corner, and using the up down arrows on remote does nothing. I must be getting it all wrong,

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Sorry - Back later than anticipated.

Your connections as described all seem correct... but it would appear that you are not seeing the output of the unit. [ You should at least be able to see menus when you press 'Functions' ]
    I am also assuming that when you say that 4 analogue channels are listed - that you mean that you are using the unit display to monitor them [ 901, 902 etc.... but are not seeing their output onscreen[??]

I'm guessing that the EC1 that you see is actually the TV responding and throwing up the message that it has switched to the 'EuroConnector' No 1 ... i.e. Scart no 1 ... as it should ... but you are not seeing anything because either the EX75 is outputting in a form that the TV is not expecting.

Obviously you cannot check or change any settings until you can at least see some menus.

It may be that you are not using a fully wired scart... so remedy that if need be.

But for the moment I suggest trying the scart into the other [ AV2 ] scart socket of the TV and see if you get any results... Can you at least see menus when you press functions? ... and do you get an EC2 message in the corner ... which would confirm at least that this is a TV generated indicator.

Another option - Does your TV have a yellow video phono input... because you could at least try using the supplied triple phono video lead to get to the point where menus can be seen. [ Plugged into the video out above AV4 in on the back panel of the EX75 ]

Once you can at least see menus, then settings can be checked and the output made easier to monitor.

Lastly , for the moment, do you have any DVD's? ... you could try playing one to see if you get an output that way - Insert DVD... wait to allow it to initialise... select the DVD drive if necessary... Then push the Direct Navigator button on the remote [to the left of wheel ] to see the contents of the disc.

10. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :blush: :suicide: I am totally covered in 'you know what' I read your post last evening, but convinced myself that the SCARTS were well in. Last thing before bed I did look again and they weren't. When all were re-fixed all was OK.I thinl it's all set up now. Sorry Gavtech. I feel I should retire to a corner and not ask any more questions. Thanks for being so helpful.:)

11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Worry not. We can all do things like that.

I'm just pleased you've got a result. I was not looking forward to telling you that you had a faulty unit... which was the other possibility.

Good luck with the machine. Don't hesitate to come back if you have problems.

12. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This problem is probably me and my non tecchieness.

I recorded two ITV programs ( analogue) and when watching the recording later wanted to fast forward through the ads. I thought skip was the thing to do but when I did that instead of getting the required recoding I got the other one, and also it only skipped a little bit so I had to go through the ads (presumably attached to the wrong program) anyway. Am I using the wrong function to fast forward through the ads? I know if I am it's probably somewhere in the instructions but it isn't clear to me. Can someone help, please?

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    There's a few things you can do.

Use the search buttons [ above the play button ] These have 5 incremental speeds in either direction.
    Each button press increments it faster.
    Don't go too far though because at the highest speed it will zoom through a whole programme in just a few seconds.

Note that the same controls act as a variable slow motion control if done from pause rather than when playing.

Alternatively use the timeslip button [ bottom right button of remote] which allows you to specify a time to move forward or backward.Onece you have pushed timeslip, use the North/ South buttons of the wheel to add or subtract the number of minutes you wish to move forward or back. Each dab at the buttons adds 1 minute . If you hold the button it goes up in 10 minute increments.
    Typically adverts are 3 or 4 minutes long so insert that time then push OK. The recording will move forward by that much.
    Press play to continue if necessary to remove the timeslip screen.

14. earwax

earwax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the very comprehensive answer:thumbsup: :)