iFi ZEN Stream

Hello.
I use ifi zen stream to play music with Qobuz. The BubbleUPnP app. Periodically, some tracks abruptly stop and the next track turns on. There was such a problem with the Mconnect application. Can this be solved?
Hi,
As I have mentioned in the DM, I would try updating the firmware and increasing the audio buffer to the limit. Let me know if it helped, or not :)

The app on Android keep closing as soons as I open it ; it is the last version 3, I don't use the wifi but the ethernet from my phone box.
The streamer works fine with Mconnect !
It is sad to see that you need a third party to run a component, otherwise just unusable !

Hi,
Do you guys turn off the zen stream when not used for like a day or two or just keeping it on all the time?
@iFi audio is it ok to have the device constantly turned on?

Hi,
As I have mentioned in the DM, I would try updating the firmware and increasing the audio buffer to the limit. Let me know if it helped, or not :)
Firmware 2.31.7 . Increasing the buffer to the limit did not help, unfortunately. Music track breaks continue, absolutely unpredictably.

The app on Android keep closing as soons as I open it ; it is the last version 3, I don't use the wifi but the ethernet from my phone box.
The streamer works fine with Mconnect !
It is sad to see that you need a third party to run a component, otherwise just unusable !
Please send me a DM with your phone model and Android version. I will make a ticket about the issue with your particular phone.

Hi,
Do you guys turn off the zen stream when not used for like a day or two or just keeping it on all the time?
@iFi audio is it ok to have the device constantly turned on?
I keep mine on all the time and it works flawlessly. You can do that :)

Firmware 2.31.7 . Increasing the buffer to the limit did not help, unfortunately. Music track breaks continue, absolutely unpredictably.
Are you using Wi-Fi, or ethernet?

Private message.....OK....where to ? There is no private mail box on this forum....
Nevermind, it is a Nokia 8 (TA-1004) and it is Android 9 updated on the 1st Oct 2022.
If you rest your mouse on iFi Audio's red name under his avatar it will bring up a small drop down with 'Start conversation' on it. Click on that and type in your message. To read any messages then you do so be clicking on the envelope button which is just to the left of the top read search button.

If you rest your mouse on iFi Audio's red name under his avatar it will bring up a small drop down with 'Start conversation' on it. Click on that and type in your message. To read any messages then you do so be clicking on the envelope button which is just to the left of the top read search button.
Thanks Gibbsy, very helpfull, I'll know for the next time.

There is a problem with both connections (Wi-Fi and Lan). I have now rebooted Zen Stream after increasing the buffer. While there are no breaks, I will monitor.
Please let me know if that helped in the long run. Fingers crossed.
Private message.....OK....where to ? There is no private mail box on this forum....
Nevermind, it is a Nokia 8 (TA-1004) and it is Android 9 updated on the 1st Oct 2022.
Thank you, I'll send the info to the RND team. If you want to, I encourage you also to place a support ticket.

Thank you, I'll send the info to the RND team. If you want to, I encourage you also to place a support ticket.
What is strange is that it was functional many months ago, I couldn't get Qobuz nor Spotify of course, so I wasn't using it, but I could read my Nas.

What is strange is that it was functional many months ago, I couldn't get Qobuz nor Spotify of course, so I wasn't using it, but I could read my Nas.
I'm no engineer, but what comes to my mind is that the latest update to the app caused it not to be compatible with your phone or Android 9. Apps are always optimised for the latest operating systems, which often offer more tools than the older ones. So, when your program uses those tools as a part of an update, it might cause incompatibility with older platforms.

Unfortunately, increasing the buffer to the maximum did not help. There are breaks of tracks, as well as a playlist playing through one track. Reducing the buffer to a minimum also did not solve the problem of breaking tracks, but everything is stable in the playlist.

Last edited:
К сожалению, увеличение буфера до максимума не помогло. Есть перерывы треков, а также плейлист, проигрывающийся через один трек. Уменьшение буфера до минимума тоже не решило проблему разрыва треков, но в плейлисте все стабильно.
English please. Use Google translate if needed.

Unfortunately, increasing the buffer to the maximum did not help. There are breaks of tracks, as well as a playlist playing through one track. Reducing the buffer to a minimum also did not solve the problem of breaking tracks, but everything is stable in the playlist.
I'm sorry to hear that :( Please submit a ticket through our support system, our engineering will help you out :)

Love the sound quality of the Zen Stream, not a big fan of the software. Ifi very slow to issue software updates. Just bought a Wiim pro and loving it. Getting to listen to music v messing with settings/connection drop outs. Wiim probably issued a few software updates while I was typing this message. Ifi’s last release was April 13th, that’s 8 months ago. Is anyone actually working on the promises listed on the 7 pages of comments here? My Wiim pro finds my NAS, indexes my 500gb tumbnail drive, streams Tidal etc and switches fast between sources without a crash. Would love to have firm release dates for Ifi developments. If not might be selling on my problems.

Love the sound quality of the Zen Stream, not a big fan of the software. Ifi very slow to issue software updates. Just bought a Wiim pro and loving it. Getting to listen to music v messing with settings/connection drop outs. Wiim probably issued a few software updates while I was typing this message. Ifi’s last release was April 13th, that’s 8 months ago. Is anyone actually working on the promises listed on the 7 pages of comments here? My Wiim pro finds my NAS, indexes my 500gb tumbnail drive, streams Tidal etc and switches fast between sources without a crash. Would love to have firm release dates for Ifi developments. If not might be selling on my problems.
I agree 100% with that ! The product is excellent, the app is non-existent !

I'm no engineer, but what comes to my mind is that the latest update to the app caused it not to be compatible with your phone or Android 9. Apps are always optimised for the latest operating systems, which often offer more tools than the older ones. So, when your program uses those tools as a part of an update, it might cause incompatibility with older platforms.
Ok, I don't consider changing my phone just to have a working app....wich is going to be obsolete again in another two years from now ! If third party can do it how come IFI don't ?

Last edited:
i would also welcome an app
update. Playing from an attached hard disk randomly pauses or the app can't stop it. Searching for music is hard. Compilations are presented in an unusable way. Playlists can't be imported from apple music / old itunes ones (if someone knows a way, do tell me!). I guess Roon could solve some issues, but it's not cheap... and not even sure if fully Roon-approved yet

i would also welcome an app
update. Playing from an attached hard disk randomly pauses or the app can't stop it. Searching for music is hard. Compilations are presented in an unusable way. Playlists can't be imported from apple music / old itunes ones (if someone knows a way, do tell me!). I guess Roon could solve some issues, but it's not cheap... and not even sure if fully Roon-approved yet
Guys, thank you for your criticisms. We are reading them, and we take them to our hearts. It's not an empty phrase. We are working on a new software update, but for now, I can't tell you anything else.

Yes, Roon is fully certified now. This is how I use my unit now.

Hi! Sorry, but I raise this issue in several threads and nothing. Can someone here help solve it? I have had an iFi streamer and a Zen One Signature DAC for a year. Everything plays beautifully, the sound is beautiful. There is only one irritating problem with interruptions, pauses between parts of long tracks, for example Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or a concert. At the moment when one track should flow smoothly into another, there is a mini pause. For example, between track 1 and 2 - (1min.04sec.), track 2 and 3 - (2min.49sec) etc. Concerts and symphonic music too. Rock suites (Yes, Marillion, Camel etc.) often run without pauses. Unfortunately not with Tidal Connect. In the case of mconnect everything works fine. This is only heard in MQA files with an MQA capable DAC on Tidal Connect. Could someone check it out? You need an MQA streamer, MQA DAC and Tidal Connect. Please... I've been looking for an answer to this problem for months and nothing... Happy New Year!

ifi should be fickin embarrassed,there software looks like it was written by school kids,the mqa first unfold saga that they had running for months without buying a licence from meridian that suddenly stopped working and then said it was a mistake as it shouldn't have been able to do the first unfold as they didn't have licence and only after a uproar on there forum from the zen customers they bought a licence,they totaly knew mqa was working as the devs on there forum posted instructions on how to set it up,and they keep blaming google for delaying chromecast for the zen stream saying there busy working on the chromecast lite but it's been 2y now,other products like the wiim pro all recently launched with chromecast support and had no trouble getting certification from Google and a brillant app so ifi is lying here and has no intention of getting it working,they should count themselves extremely lucky there hasn't been a class action law suit from the owners of the zen stream for false advertising,il never purchase anything else from this scam of a company

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom