ifi zen dac help/recommendations

Graym00

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve recently acquired an ifi zen dac with the option of also getting a zen can but not sure if it’s really necessary?
Also looking for some headphone recommendations please- I’m considering a pair of hifiman sundaras- do you think these would work well or are there any other recommendations?
Many thanks

Can't comment on the Sundaras, but they have similar impedance to the Philips X2-HR, but are not quite as sensitive as the X2s. I can say that the X2s work really well with the Zen, and can be driven extremely loud whilst remaining clear, so not sure the CAN would be needed. However, I do fancy a CAN for integrating into my hifi setup as opposed to my desktop setup.

I will recommend the X2s, and these can still be bought from Amazon for £124, which is a good price. Others have recommended the AT MSR7bs, especially as it offers a balanced option (I am looking at picking a pair up for when I am back in the office), @camcroft has these paired with a Zen and speaks highly of the pairing.

Can't comment on the Sundaras, but they have similar impedance to the Philips X2-HR, but are not quite as sensitive as the X2s. I can say that the X2s work really well with the Zen, and can be driven extremely loud whilst remaining clear, so not sure the CAN would be needed. However, I do fancy a CAN for integrating into my hifi setup as opposed to my desktop setup.

I will recommend the X2s, and these can still be bought from Amazon for £124, which is a good price. Others have recommended the AT MSR7bs, especially as it offers a balanced option (I am looking at picking a pair up for when I am back in the office), @camcroft has these paired with a Zen and speaks highly of the pairing.
I certainly do excellent combination. Just listening to Ed Sheeran Bad Habits it sounds good and its only on about one on the dial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

I’ve recently acquired an ifi zen dac with the option of also getting a zen can but not sure if it’s really necessary?
Also looking for some headphone recommendations please- I’m considering a pair of hifiman sundaras- do you think these would work well or are there any other recommendations?
Many thanks

There's the ifi ZenCan HFM tuned for Hifiman Headphones.... ZEN CAN Signature HFM by iFi audio | A tailor-made headphone amplifier from iFi audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom