iFi Zen Blue

Camcroft

Established Member
Reaction score
Using the Zen Blue which would give me the best sound Coaxial to amp or RCA to amp I mean getting the most of the Dac. Thanks

If you want to use the DAC in the Zen Blue then you should connect using the RCA cables (or using a Pentaconn to XLR cable if you have balanced inputs on your amp).

If you prefer to use the DAC in your amp (CXA60?) then you should use the Co-axial or optical output from the Zen Blue to the amp.

I'm not sure which of the two has the better DAC. You could try it out both ways and see what you prefer assuming you have the necessary cables.

You have the luxury of trying both DACs if you invest a couple of quid in cables.

You have the luxury of trying both DACs if you invest a couple of quid in cables.
Luckily I have an abundance of cables. Comes with all the upgrades and they are all gathering dust. I need to stop reading cable reviews. All I buy now are the Van damme cables they are as good as any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried it this morning with coaxial ( Amps Dac ) and RCA ( Zen Phono Dac ) and the winner is ? I have left it set to RCA analogue but with the Coaxial still plugged in because its just the flick of a switch on the back of the Zen to change to Digital and to change the amps input selection.

Just an update I have given my 2 x Zen Blues the firmware update and have to say that without a doubt that the sound is a lot better than before and would recommend that if you have the opportunity to do the update you will not regret it.Keep up the good work iFi

The review here suggests that the Zens analogue output will be the better option of the two, and I’d not be surprised.

It is an all in one, designed as a piece player.

The review here suggests that the Zens analogue output will be the better option of the two, and I’d not be surprised.

It is an all in one, designed as a piece player.
Yes thats what I decided to use in the end.The Analogue that is.

I'll treat myself to one of these going fwd, especially after reading it's built in dac performance is that good

I'll treat myself to one of these going fwd, especially after reading it's built in dac performance is that good

It seems to be the thing for serious Bluetooth.

I’ll be getting one when I change my 1120 for a 2170.

Yes thats what I decided to use in the end.The Analogue that is.

I do think Bluetooth can sound very good if it’s fed good files of good recordings. So it makes sense to get a really good one. And Ifi certainly seem to have put the effort in.

what gives? Actives + subs perchance?
Yes, I’m still planning on getting a pair of the Dynaudio XDs and I’d like to drive them straight from the digital out of the 2170, letting the Dynaudios amps do all the work.

Unless I can somehow steal a pair of these, in which case I’d still need the Digital output for RoomPerfect from the 2170.

Except even more so.

Yes, I’m still planning on getting a pair of the Dynaudio XDs and I’d like to drive them straight from the digital out of the 2170, letting the Dynaudios amps do all the work.

Unless I can somehow steal a pair of these, in which case I’d still need the Digital output for RoomPerfect from the 2170.

Except even more so.

Outstanding plan!

Outstanding plan!

Naturally I agree :laugh:

The more I consider it, the more I crave the Core 59s.

With a 2170, I genuinely can’t see why I’d ever want, and certainly not need, anything else.

Other things equal, I would connect using digital, preferably the coax. Most DAC chips are good enough that it doesn't matter. They tend to differ in the analog circuitry that comes after them. Using analog, you have the analog output from your source, and the analog input in your amp. Using the DAC in the amp, you have a very short path after that DAC, most of which will be used in either case.

@Paul7777x ,
TDAI-2170 - who would not want to taste a descendant of the Steinway Lyngdorf partnership.
Core 59 - I heard that they are very analytical, accurate and detailed. Are those one of the reasons why you are after the Core 59? How big is the room where you want to place them?

After all this time the Blue still performs and sound brilliant.

But don't write off the Air model

But don't write off the Air model
@camcroft thanks! We tried to cut down on features, but not on the sound. Some people don't need the extras and the Zen Air series lets them save a few pounds. It was a super interesting project as it was mainly optimization. How can we make audio more approachable, and more streamlined without compromising the quality? The answer is the Zen Air.

@camcroft thanks! We tried to cut down on features, but not on the sound. Some people don't need the extras and the Zen Air series lets them save a few pounds. It was a super interesting project as it was mainly optimization. How can we make audio more approachable, and more streamlined without compromising the quality? The answer is the Zen Air.

I haven’t used one and I don’t currently need one, but if I do need a usb dac in the future (for my bedroom probably) the Air is what I’ll be getting.

Seems a first class bargain.

All we're short now is a little 99 euro ifi air class d amplifier with good power and just enough inputs and outputs for the first 4, oh and a dac with a load of optical and coax inputs, has to be 99 though 👍

I haven’t used one and I don’t currently need one, but if I do need a usb dac in the future (for my bedroom probably) the Air is what I’ll be getting.

Seems a first class bargain.
Thanks, we tried our best!

All we're short now is a little 99 euro ifi air class d amplifier with good power and just enough inputs and outputs for the first 4, oh and a dac with a load of optical and coax inputs, has to be 99 though 👍
All ideas are welcomed. I can always pass them in the office. What kind of power are you thinking? 2x25W?

Thanks, we tried our best!

All ideas are welcomed. I can always pass them in the office. What kind of power are you thinking? 2x25W?
A standard Zen One DAC (non-signature) would complete the midrange. I have the Zen DAC but would of paid a bit more for the additional inputs. The signature series version is a bit of a price point leap if the rest of the system is not comparable or your use case is to a price point

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom