iFi Audio Zen Phono Stage Review & Comments

Wow, is it time to move on the bargain that was a Schit Mani?
I have the Schiit Mani and have been waiting for this review for a while thanks Ed. spookydarren which phono stage are you using at the moment and do you think that you could go for the ifi phono. I have the ifi Zen Blue and love it and would trust anything that ifi make I only bought the Mani because of youtube video reviews and it did sound better than my previous Rega Fono Mini A2D which I sold on easily enough. Will I be removing the Mani from my signature ?

Congratulations to ifi on a brilliant review. Well done A question how long are the RCA cables supplied.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Schiit Mani and have been waiting for this review for a while thanks Ed. spookydarren which phono stage are you using at the moment and do you think that you could go for the ifi phono. I have the ifi Zen Blue and love it and would trust anything that ifi make I only bought the Mani because of youtube video reviews and it did sound better than my previous Rega Fono Mini A2D which I sold on easily enough. Will I be removing the Mani from my signature ?
Morning, yeah I replaced my fono mini for the mani seeing those same reviews I'm sure. I've ordered the zen based on this and several other reviews to give it an audition.

Morning, yeah I replaced my fono mini for the mani seeing those same reviews I'm sure. I've ordered the zen based on this and several other reviews to give it an audition.
Where did you order it from I usually order through Amazon Prime and I have it the next day

Exactly that, plug and play tomorrow. Get to listen to all my favourite vinyl again, happy days.
Please keep us informed I might wait for your response before I take the plunge. Funnily enough you cant find a Mani on ebay now there might be a couple for sale in the uk.

Please keep us informed I might wait for your response before I take the plunge. Funnily enough you cant find a Mani on ebay now there might be a couple for sale in the uk.
Yeah I'm thinking I'll make my money back for sure. Had to pay import fees too. Mine never had any interference noise, did yours? Wouldn't mind the noise floor lowered slightly, and the sub sonic filter is interesting.

Yeah I got mine from the states as well and no I never had any interference eagerly awaiting your feedback for all you know we might be in competition to sell our Schiits. Cheers

No discernible noise at idle, am a bit confused by the term idle.
Maybe you should ask Ed Selley that question he made the statement.

I'm not anti an external stage, but i'm happy with the one in my Elex R. At what point does it not become noticable vs a better intergrated amp? This is why i'm weary of spending £150 for something i'm already happy with.

I'm not anti an external stage, but i'm happy with the one in my Elex R. At what point does it not become noticable vs a better intergrated amp? This is why i'm weary of spending £150 for something i'm already happy with.
The difference should be night and day in my experience. Do you have one you can borrow to try?

The difference should be night and day in my experience. Do you have one you can borrow to try?
No, unfortunately. I do have a schiit magni however, so i imagine a mani would sit very nicely on top. Still seems a lot for something that seems to work very nicely.

Schiit are a small company and people liked that idea for the more non massed produced products and I think that ifi are very similar and its nice to see a British company doing so well in these trying times.

No discernible noise at idle, am a bit confused by the term idle.

Switched on but with no sound input from the turntable maybe?

This basically. Power to phono stage and amp with nothing playing. You'd be surprised at how many designs are audible at as distance in this state.

I bought one for myself for last Christmas - I'd recently swapped out my Naim amps for a Denon X4700H and needed a MC stage(the Denon only has MM) that would be good enough for the job.
I read lots of reviews and watched several on Youtube before deciding on the Ifi. The first time I listened to it I was totally knocked out by it. The noise floor at idle is totally silent(to my 60 year old ears anyway!) which was quite a surprise as this was the one aspect of the Naim stage that was pretty terrible, but disappeared as soon as something started playing. I totally agree with this review, the Zen phono stage is well designed, well built, feature rich and fantastic value - SUPERB!
Oh, forgot to say - it sounds fantastic too!!!!

Last edited:
Had some ifi stuff, they seem to be onna roll, good to see a company do high end and affordable. I'm guessing their cable will be the same price though. Here's hoping amazon basics start making that rare 4.4 balanced connector

My amp only has 1 x Coaxial and 1 x Optical I am using the Coaxial so I couldn't use a 4.4 balanced connector is that right
Cambridge_Audio_CXA60_gallery_1.jpg

My fingers are itching to press buy and then I think waiiiiiiiit till tomorrow till I hear back from you . hopefully you will get an early morning delivery.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom