iFi audio - SilentPower has arrived!

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
GND Defender

GND-Defender-Slider-Cropped-6.jpg

Optimal system configuration = one Ground/Earth for the whole system as multiple Grounds/Earths mean your amplifier will suffer from an annoying low frequency hum.

The current available solutions can:
  • Endanger equipment safety
  • Jeopardise EMI shielding
  • Be used in a single country (US) only

The GNDDefender is the iFi solution

• Intelligently breaks DC ground loops to eliminate ground loop hum
  • Safely retains EMI shielding
  • Does not effect equipment safety
Can be used around the globe

https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
DC Blocker
DC-Blocker-Slider-Cropped-3.jpg

The majority of amplifiers suffer from irritating mechanical transformer hum. The cause? Any incoming mains DC
voltage ranging from 1,000mV to several hundred millivolts.

The DCBlocker is the iFi solution

* Intelligently blocks > 1,000mV DC to eliminate transformer hum
• Safely retains EMI shielding
• Does not affect equipment safety
• Can be used around the globe

TUllman

Standard Member
I'm a happy owner of iFi Zen DAC that I use in my office setup -- connecting my MacBook with Tidal to Sennheiser HD599. I also just ordered hip-dac to use with my iPhone when I am on the go -- waiting for its arrival.

However, if I may make a suggestion -- I was struggling to understand the actual, tangible differences between the different portable DAC/headphone amp devices you guys offer. I've used the 'compare' function on your website but I guess even that didn't tell me much. Given all the other devices were 2x / 3x the cost of hip-dac and all reviews say 'great sound' it was impossible for me to really understand what I would be gaining by spending 3x more on one of your other portable DACs. It may be perhaps helpful to include some wording that clearly mentions which device is for which purpose and articulate what is really gained by moving from one to another. Something like pros/cons (I know, you don't really want to say that any of your devices has any cons :) ) would be super helpful.

This might not be an issue for people who know more about audio than I do, but for a novice like myself, I would find it really helpful.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
@TUllman thanks a lot for your support and your suggestions. I fully understand where you are coming from. The number of our products could be overwhelming. I think your idea is brilliant. For now, let me offer you the iDSD Signature and iDSD Diablo comparison.

Everyone was a novice once. You have to start somewhere ;)

iFi_Diablo_iDSDSignature_Chart_06-02.png

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
How does the GND Blocker size up?

• AI Ground Detection - each unit will automatically disconnect the ground on that device
  • Ground Safe - auto reinstatement of ground connection to pass current if a fault is detected
  • Voltage rating 90 – 240 volts
  • Surge overload rating 220A
  • Continuous current rating 10A (1100W – 2400W)
  • Universal IEC
  • Hospital-grade IEC connectors
  • Dimensions: 68 x 37 x 32 mm / 2.7” x 1.5” x 1.3”
  • Weight: 61g / 2.2oz

1616494881472.png

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
What are the credentials of the DC Blocker?

• ZERO DC Block technology blocks incoming DC – up to 1,200mV
  • Voltage rating 90 – 240 volts
  • Maximum current rating > 10A
  • Continuous current rating 7A
  • Universal IEC
  • Hospital-grade IEC connectors
  • Dimensions: 68 x 37 x 32 mm / 2.7” x 1.5” x 1.3”
  • Weight: 63g / 2.2oz

1616494904776.png

TUllman

Standard Member
I also just ordered hip-dac to use with my iPhone when I am on the go -- waiting for its arrival.
Unfortunately, when ordering this, I didn't realise it didn't come with cables needed to connect to an iPhone (USB female to Lighting). Apart from the original Apple adaptor, is there a third-party cable that you would recommend I use?

Alternatively, if there are no good Apple alternatives, could you please confirm that is the one to order?

Last edited:

TUllman

Standard Member
@iFi audio - update to the above. I got some third-party Lighting -> USB A female cable and it sort of works with Tidal but not quite. Below is what I can see as options of output so it works when steaming via AirPlay (??). However, the lights on the DAC always remain green no matter what sound quality in Tidal I pick so I guess it’s not really working.

Any suggestions please? If I can’t get it to work with my iPhone it will be going back to Richer Sounds...

Attachments

• 00E48E17-DC38-4DC7-AC72-DC37964AA00E.png
    00E48E17-DC38-4DC7-AC72-DC37964AA00E.png
    331.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 160BC6ED-64A8-4B70-BE7B-ED6A89EFC9DA.png
    160BC6ED-64A8-4B70-BE7B-ED6A89EFC9DA.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 5

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
@iFi audio - update to the above. I got some third-party Lighting -> USB A female cable and it sort of works with Tidal but not quite. Below is what I can see as options of output so it works when steaming via AirPlay (??). However, the lights on the DAC always remain green no matter what sound quality in Tidal I pick so I guess it’s not really working.

Any suggestions please? If I can’t get it to work with my iPhone it will be going back to Richer Sounds...
@TUllman Just a few remote-diagnosis questions first. Let's get to the bottom of this. Which plan on Tidal are you subscribing to? Did you try using the Lightning to USB Cable with something else to see if that could cause any issue? Is your Zen Dac updated to the newest firmware?

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Just a reminder that with a GND Defender at the IEC power input, it will intelligently detect and remove the ground loop at the component.

Behind this, the GND Defender:
  • Intelligently breaks DC ground loops to eliminate ground loop hum
  • EMI shielding is retained
  • Equipment Safety is unaffected (not a ground lift – so maintains equipment safety ground)

It can be used in many applications, not just your amplifier.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom