1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you've ever wondered what the worst song ever to be released was/is?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mjn, Jul 9, 2005.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    The answer i have!!

Daft Punk - Robot Rock!

The same 5 seconds repeated for what seemed like eternity!!

2. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    I would have said just about 90% of everything done in the last 6/7 years.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's been the case for as long as people have been writing and releasing music. The fun bit is to find which 10% you like and find lots of it which may in turn increase your liking for another 5% and so on.

Have to agree that Robot Rock is a bit dull. :)

4. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This has to be the most rediculous statement I have heard

Originally Posted by emporer
    I would have said just about 90% of everything done in the last 6/7 years

How about the 60's & 70's even 80's there are some right duffers in there...

Wogan floral dance
    Joe Dolce shaddap yer face
    renne & renata save your love
    Benny Hill Ernie the fastest milkman in the west
    St Winnifred School Grandma
    Clive Dunn Grandad
    Spitting Image The chicken song
    Rolf Harris 2 little boys

I could go on & on. This was just straight of the top of my head. The last 2 to 3 years have seen some fantastic artists / bands come on the scene

Coldplay
    Athlete
    Razorlight
    David Gray
    The Killers
    The Zutons
    Doves
    Starsailor
    Coral
    Snow Patrol
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Maximo Park
    The Cribs

There is some excellent music out there. Unfortunately we live in a time when the whole top 40 is replaced week to week by different tunes, songs go straight into number 1 then dissapear into obscurity.

Its called choice people, I remember going into boots, wh smiths, woolies in the 70's & 80's they had a top 40 selection & maybe 3 or 4 new singles released that week. Now go into Virgin or HMV & they have a whole wall full of new singles. Even the supermarkets have more new releases than shops in the 70's & 80's.

As someone else said it's finding the other 10% that is more fun....

Regards

Gary

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    All 'novelty songs' and not meant to be taken seriously unlike the '90% of the last 6/7 years'.

You've just re-inforced Emporer's statement even more!

6. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    cabstar

I'm the first person to say everyone to their own but IMHO apart from David Gray, who I do like but only caught on to when White Ladder came out, the rest I would like to put in a big hole on the Moon. :D

7. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmmm

Ok how comes nearly most posts on here call or slate modern music???? Are the majority of posters stuck in a time warp. I sometimes feel that most people on this board are totally inhibited when it comes to new music.

A lot of the comments on this board sound just like my father in the 80's

Why not try & be a little more constructive.

As for the novelty song statement. Where they records that where released???

Do they count as songs????

How does this make the argument stronger??? If I remember rightly one of these bloody irritating novelty records was being released every week. Even my grandparents god bless them had most of those records.

Ahhhh I am starting to rant again.

Going to have a beer & watch a music DVD

Regards

Gary

8. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    I'm certainly not stuck in any kind of time warp, i'm only 29 and have listened with enthusiasm to all kinds of music since I was very small, but I see most modern music is just bland and boring. To be honest it all sounds the same to me. There are no melodies and actual tunes nowadays, it's just power chord guitar based rubbish. I play guitar and this stuff these so called 'fantastic bands' of modern times put out is just thrown together musically speaking. I'm sure I could do better if I put my mind to it.

I think that when it all sounds the same then it's time to change things. The last 'great' band in my opinion was Oasis. Most of their stuff might be only 4 chord based etc ( i point that out as someone is bound to after my comments ), but it sounds good, with melodies and something which sadly lacks in todays bands-well timed key changes.

9. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    While i'm having a good rant, that list of fantastic artists/bands - what the fudge?. With the exception of perhaps Coldplay and David Gray, who the hell could tell one of their singles from another. Not like, for instance, when you hear a Queen song it's instantly recognizable and you know who's song it is, the same goes for tons of bands in days gone by.....

If any of those bands were played on the radio, I wouldn't be able to tell you which one it is!!!!!

10. FeisalK

FeisalK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    any of Frank Farian's proteges

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Cabstar, I have to disagree with your list I'm afriad. With the exception of Kaiser Chiefs, I find the rest of that list quite bland and uninspiring. I was looking forward to seeing Razorlight the other week having heard all the hype but was very disappointed with them. Although I'm 44 I'm always on the lookout for new stuff and thought that Interpol and Kasabian were very good at Glastonbury.
    As someone else has already pointed out, your list of old crap songs were all novelty ones and not intended to be serious. The problem these days is that someone produces a good successful record and so they keep repeating that over and over again with no variation. I still thing "Stan" is a great track but everything else Eminem has produced since then is truly awful. Limp Bizkit did a couple of good tracks and then produced crap after that. Coldplay "Yellow" was a good track but the rest has been bland and ruined by the singer thinking he's got to go up 5 octaves at the end of every line.
    Sorry about the rant, had to get it off my chest ;)

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Emporer and JohnG, i'm afraid it says more about your age than the music ;)

I find most of cabstar's list fantastic, especially the Killers, who, IMO are one of the best bands this century.

You only have to watch VH1 "classic" to see than 80's music is some of the most bloated, insipid noise known to man :D

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    The problem is that you youngsters have never heard good music :)

14. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Everyone seems to havbe forgotten "We Built this City on Rock and Roll" by Starship. :rotfl: If not the worst, then certaintly the cheesiest.

RDB :)

15. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Hmmm Hi John, I am 36 so how old are you?

Here is a little background about myself.

I bought my first record in 1977/8, Blondie, Parallel Lines....

The first gig I attended was Simple Minds, Milton Keynes Bowl, 1986....

I currently have over 3000 music cds in my collection & go to at least 2 music festivals every year & go to at least 2 or 3 gigs a month which living in Grimsby is a feat in it self as I have to travel to places like Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, London etc...

Last gig attended was Oasis last weekend at Milton Keynes Bowl.

Last festival Glastonbury 2005 next festival V Festival 2005 Staffs

I have also done charity work for the Arts Council & The Attitude is Everything project which has enabled me to meet lots of new bands & expand my interest in music.

I find it incredible that someone can say that Killers, Athlete & Doves all sound the same!!!! :eek: :eek:

These 3 bands alone have to be the current most original sounding bands this year.

Why not go out & buy some new music you never know, you might just enjoy it....

Regards

Gary

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    There was a bit of a clue in my previous post - where I said I'm 44 ;)
    I do buy music and I also listen to snippets from new bands on iTunes and am really wanting these new bands to be good as I'm always looking for new stuff, but they always leave me cold, they aren't doing anything new or original.
    I bought my 1st single in 1969, it was Hello Suzy by Amen Corner and went to my first gig in '77 (Ultravox).

17. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi John

Sorry must have missed your age ;)

What where Ultravox like in 77. I saw John Foxx supporting the Human League last year. That was a strange experience. He was stood in front of a small keyboard on top of a tall stand similar to what a Headmaster would stand at in assembly. Put on a good show though.

Regards

Gary

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Ultravox were superb back then with John Foxx on vocals. I saw them twice at the Porterhouse in Retford with John Foxx and then again at the Porterhouse with Midge Ure and once more at Lincoln with Ure. Without John Foxx they were a shadow of their former selves for me.
    The Porterhouse used to be a great little venue and attracted som big bands as well, and you were never far away from the stage :thumbsup:
    I've only got about 500 albums and just over 100 minidiscs of stuff I've recorded from John Peel off the radio,but I'm always on the lookout for new stuff to buy.