1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If your picture from Sky is "blurry", try this!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jon Weaver, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +657
    My Plasma was replaced last week, and I have been secretly thinking that some things looks a little blury..

Things in the forground look pin sharp but the backgrounds look wrong. I can't put my finger on it, but they just seem to be 'out of focus'

I also noticed that the 'DOGs' on some channels looked strange.. Its hard to describe, but the horizontal edges of the logo were dupicated, one pixel underneath/above.

After catching up on a few episodes of Big Brother (I am ashamed to admit that), I was sure that something wasn't right, as when there was a long shot of things going on in the background, it looked a mess.

After a bit of thinking, I wondered if this had anything to do with the vertical size/position.. After all, you are converting a 600 line PAL signal into a display with 500 lines. Its therefore possible that a pixel in the Analogue PAL output could appear across 2 pixels on the Plasma.

I started to increase/reduce the size/position of the picture and to my surprise, the phenominon with the DOG changed.. In some positions it was the top of the logo which was affected, and other times the bottom.

I will have to do some more tests but I think I am on the right lines.

So. If you are not happy with your Sky picture, trying changing the position/size of the picture (on the Plasma). This might be the reason why some people are very happy with their picture of Sky (like I was before) and otheres arn't.

Let me know if this helps.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like you jon i have the toshiba and the habit of messing about with it and a while back i notice i could get a loverly picture by doing this reducing the size to the bare minimum, as i think alot of channels overscan by alot, but i hit the problem that some channels dont overscan alot .ie vh1 , mtv base, so it was good for some but not for all but you are right that even by moving the picture by 1 pixels some times it can get a much better picture,

as for the ( catch me if you can) i rented it but never noticed any tearing

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +657
    Cheers Jmack,

I started to worry when my friend was over on Friday and even he said that it looked 'Blurry'.. Before I had even admitted to anyone that I was having my doubts.

Tonight, I am going to go home and have a good fiddle!.. Big Brother seemed to be a really good example of my problem, as there is a lot going on in the background.

With regards to the 'tearing', I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing.. I have never heard it called "tearing", but it might be.

Certainly, this particular section of the movie, was the worst I have ever seen it.. But as its one of the first films I have watched on my 'new' screen, I have no idea whether its just a co-incidence that its so bad!