if you'll pardon the pun

natty

Established Member
Reaction score
Had to laugh, when the chinese world champion 10m diver was about to make his dive at the olympics, the commentator said "his rivals will be looking to see if he has got any chinks in his armour".

If he had any armour, he would sink to the bottom.

And I thought pearl diving wasn't included in this years games.

How can it be racist when it a perfectly acceptable, commonly used phrase? Correlating two words together doesn't make a comment racist every time.

It is certain people here who are interpreting a commonplace saying as racism.

MOD HAT on:

Technically:

chink is an ethnic slur against chinese or asian people.

However the use of ****** as an acceptable term for a Chinese Takeway has rendered the term more ambiguous so context becomes more important.

In the context used it wasn't directly racist, but we wouldn't generally encourage its use.

If Brit is short for Briton then **** should logically be short for Pakistani, if a white person says it is interpreted as racist , but if a Pakistani uses it ( and they do ) it is acceptable..!
What else could you shorten Chinese to... Chin,,?

Nothing racist at all, unless you choose to make it so. In the context described, it makes perfect sense.

n
1. a small narrow opening, such as a fissure or crack
chink in one's armour a small but fatal weakness

The difference is that people haven't generally been racist towards Brits and used Brit in a racist context.

So Brit, Scot, Yank, Ozzie etc are PC,

Frog, kraut etc are simply rude :)

Pxxx, Nxxxxx, Cxxxx etc have been used as racist terms in the past and so aren't PC.

Nothing racist at all, unless you choose to make it so. In the context described, it makes perfect sense.

n
1. a small narrow opening, such as a fissure or crack
chink in one's armour a small but fatal weakness

Of course, but it only becomes a pun, if you are aware of the alternative meaning of "chink". Without that, the OP wouldn't have posted it, because as you say, it is a simple turn of phrase.

It is all a play, a play on words.

Remains me of the old saying 'there's a nip in the air'. These days, if you said that in certain restaurants with over-enthusiastic air conditioners you could be done for racism.

Humour has been replaced with political correctness and a willingness to over-sensitivity.

:(

Steady on, Alan: only one person (with some rather novel ideas about maxi dresses) has condemned it for being racist. :smashin:

You haven't, but you stimulated some discussion you probably weren't expecting :D

A thought.
Shouldn't we gradually take these terms away from the racists?

You can only be racist if your white, simple fact of our PC world.

A thought.
Shouldn't we gradually take these terms away from the racists?

How can you do that, though, without rewriting history?! :confused:

You can't just decide to make a previously offensive word, unoffensive. It doesn't work like that. Just because certain offensive terms are used by the very groups of people that it is demeaning, doesn't mean that word suddenly loses all of its inherent power to cause offense.

Many offensive terms for certain (predominantly) ethnic groups, were coined to deliberately subjugate those same ethnic groups, by (predominantly) white Western people.

You don't use words likle "Chink" or "P***" or "C**n" or "N***er" unless you are intending to be deliberately offensive, or because you are intending to demean that person/group of people because of their ethnicity. Such words have no positive tone in them, so even if you weren't intending to be offensive, you would never use those terms, because they will only be taken as the offensive and degrading words that they are.

Pooch

That's why he used the term "gradually" :smashin:

I apologise if i've caused any offence, it wasn't meant in that way.

I should apologise for hijacking your good thread with my usual overreactive spouting, I guess I've become conditioned to the PC way of life everyone seems to have, these days.

Of course I know the meaning of "chink" in your context about armour - it means a weak spot, a flaw - probably derived from a dent or nick in the metal.

Sorry.

It is all a play, a play on words.

Remains me of the old saying 'there's a nip in the air'. These days, if you said that in certain restaurants with over-enthusiastic air conditioners you could be done for racism.

Humour has been replaced with political correctness and a willingness to over-sensitivity.

:(

How can you be racist to an air-conditioner? And if the racist slur target word is "nip", that refers to nipples (which stand up when cold), which doesn't even apply to gender, let alone race.

Deary me....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom