if you were my landlord, would you go for this offer

Reaction score
bit of advice required

long story short, sold my house, couldnt find a house we liked, went into rented, 3 weeks in to 6 month rental agreement, found house, and due to move in june 21st

now my rental agreement runs 5th april to 4th october, and there's no get out clause, so is it worth approaching landlord to see if we can "negotiate" a way of me getting out early ( if not then i'll have to pay the rent for 3 months , alongside the mortgage)

its a 4 bedroom house, and at present, there are very few nice propertys in the area ( the house is only been built a few months and is a nice size ) so im sure wouldnt need to be on the market long to get more renters. it was on the market 48 hours when we rented it.

I'll be putting this proposition forward tomorrow, just want to see if there's any landlords here that would go for this?

my propostion is
if we were to pay rent up until 5th july, and help you get a new tennant, ie show them round, make it spotless and available for viewings at a moments notice, and if you get a tennant to start from the 5th july, you can keep my deposit (this is £1100)

would he go for it?

thanks
Jason

Last edited:
Surely you don't pay a mortgage on your retro property?

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me though.

put mortgage in quote, meant rent.

he gets the same rental coming in per month and gets to keep my £1100 deposit, damn, thought it was a good offer :( if its not, looks like i'll be paying rent and mortgage for 3 months

ta

I would first ask your landlord if he/she is willing to surrender the lease - you won't need a get out clause for this. Just explain your situation and that you will/can pay rent up until 5 July. The landlord won't want a tenant whose ability to pay rent is potentially adversely affected.

On your proposition:

If we were to pay rent up until 5th july and help you get a new tenant, ie show them round, make it spotless and available for viewings at a moments notice, and if you get a tenant to start from the 5th july, you can keep my deposit (this is £1100).

I would take this part out. If the landlord has a new tenant from that date (and a deposit from that tenant), there's no need to sacrifice your £1100.

Likewise I wouldn't want a tenant showing around potential new tenants, despite them having a motivation to get it rented. It's a business, the right information has to he provided. Likewise you should always keep it spotless :) to me that would be a further non argument.

But yes I'd speak to them about it in accordance with the contract in the first place before thinking up offers they may like or not.

I'd agree with the general consensus in that explaining your situation may be all that is needed to come to an agreement. So long as it doesn't cost him any more (if you go through an agent, they may require a new 'finders' fee).

I'm sure this sort of thing happens regularly. See what the lay of the land is and go from there.

bit of advice required

long story short, sold my house, couldnt find a house we liked, went into rented, 3 weeks in to 6 month rental agreement, found house, and due to move in june 21st

now my rental agreement runs 5th april to 4th october, and there's no get out clause, so is it worth approaching landlord to see if we can "negotiate" a way of me getting out early ( if not then i'll have to pay the rent for 3 months , alongside the mortgage)

its a 4 bedroom house, and at present, there are very few nice propertys in the area ( the house is only been built a few months and is a nice size ) so im sure wouldnt need to be on the market long to get more renters. it was on the market 48 hours when we rented it.

I'll be putting this proposition forward tomorrow, just want to see if there's any landlords here that would go for this?

my propostion is

would he go for it?

thanks
Jason

Just do it, we've left early before, best to speak to the landlord if poss if not just negoiate, it might cost you a months rent but you should be able to leave...We're on a monthly statutory periodic tenancy aggrement and we're just about to give notice and leave before the 30 days notice period starts...

Speaking as someone that has rented out properties, that's a very generous offer.

I've had a few tenants ask to leave early and I've always said no problem on the basis new tenants are able to move in straight away and I keep getting my rent. Sometimes my agent finds them, sometimes the tenant finds them. Either way I still have the final say.

As a landlord the last thing I want is a couple of tenants who have possession of one of my properties and think I'm an asshole.

You have nothing to lose by asking.

I would explain your predicament and ask him if he would accept the equivalent of two months rent as early cancellation of your tenancy agreement and see what he says.

If he declines he may well tell you what is acceptable to him or at the point you can ask him.

After that you can up your offer if required.

He has no legal obligation to agree as your contractually bound but maybe he could have a new tenant soon and two months rent from you in addition.

Offer to pay LL costs to readvertise, say you will be very accomodating for viewings and hope he can re-let to release you from the contract.

Check if your deposit has been protected in a approved scheme; if not, you can ask for 3 times the deposit back.

To be honest, i wouldn't offer them anything, just explain the situation and ask to be let out of the lease early and see what they say. They might let you out without having to pay anything extra like my last landlady did or ask you to continue to pay the rent until they find a new tenant like my wife's last landlady did (but found a tenant before she'd even moved out)

Quite often a landlord, especially a private one might be happy to change tenants if it means they can increase the rent for the next tenants

In both cases we didn't have to pay anything so offering them a ton of money when they might be ok with nothing is definitely not worth doing!

I think it's a fair and reasonable offer. As others have advised, no harm in asking. As a landlord I would consider it as long as I didn't lose any rental in the process. Then again, I know some landlords that would try to screw you over for it. Never know until you try though.

thanks all, spoke to landlord, and been told, your in a 6 month rental, you have to stay/pay the 6 months.............

oh well,

Sub let and ******** to him. They are obviously going to be 'friends' of yours. Ideally, take a deposit as if it were your place.

Totally unethical and possibly illegal, but that's what I'd do :smashin:

no room for negotiation, pretty much put the phone down on me...........

not in my nature to do this, and i wont, but may just have to turn into tenent from hell......

Likewise you should always keep it spotless :) to me that would be a further non argument.

when i say spotless, i mean more kids toys put away etc, not a case of not washing up, or leaving bathrooms and rooms messy etc, the house, is as clean, if not cleaner than when we moved in (was spotless tbh when we moved in)

Sub let and ******** to him. They are obviously going to be 'friends' of yours. Ideally, take a deposit as if it were your place.

Totally unethical and possibly illegal, but that's what I'd do :smashin:

Why? Because the landlord is sticking to the T&C of an agreement that the OP signed voluntarily? Speaking as both a landlord and a renter currently, I think that's appalling behavior. I can just imagine what your response would have been if the landlord (rightly so) had come along to the OP and said "forget the agreement we both signed, you're out, I've found someone better", and your suggestion is just as bad.

It's a contract they both signed it, but now the OP wants out. If it were me as landlord I'd probably try to find some solution to satisfy both parties (as per the OP's proposal) but if the landlord won't agree, you just have to suck it up.

It's a contract they both signed it, but now the OP wants out. If it were me as landlord I'd probably try to find some solution to satisfy both parties (as per the OP's proposal) but if the landlord won't agree, you just have to suck it up.

Or sub-let.

sub letting is not allowed in my agreement, and like has been pointed out, ive agreed to a 6 month rental, so a 6 month rental it will be, if he was giving me my marching orders within 6 months, id be here bitching about him, just disappointed that there was no room for negotiation.

It's a shame they wont budge... You'll have to buy your way out...

Our agent has refused to budge on the thirty day notice period so he will be hit with a letter outlining his duties as written in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 especially section 10... Fitness for human habitation...
He was told about the damp problem 6 months ago which meant we were unable to use one of the bedrooms in the 3 bedroom property, he has failed in his legal obligation....
So basically he can stick the contract and the extra one month rent up his behind...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'd like a house of mine unoccupied for six months. :eek:

it wont be unoccupied for 6 months, just 3 :) , my terms say it must not be empty for more than 28 days, so i'll stay there for a night every couple of weeks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom