If you was to buy now which one?

rchads89

Ex Member
Reaction score
Mainly for gaming a lot of late nights and some long days when off work! So static images are a problem!

Choice between E6500 or a st50

I would say they are very close in performance so would go for the largest of either you can afford

The ST50 has deeper blacks, the E6500 has less IR and lower lag. What budget and size? E6500 starts at 51".

51" might look daft as in too big but I shall have a look! Also I won't fit it in my car :(

Are they both prone to line bleed and banding?

no .. samsungs are free from most issues ... and the smallest they do is 51 you can get a 42 inch st50 though ...
tbh unless you are only about 6 feet or less from the screen you will want a 50"+ model
its amazing how quick you get used to it .. i thought my 51 was rediculous when i got it .. now im looking at 55 or 60 next .. lol ..
and with most places online offering free delivery who cares about getting it in your car?

51" would look stupid I think as Its 1 meter and a bit from stand to sofa.

Think it would have to be st50 again.......

Last edited:
51" would look stupid I think as Its 2 meter ish from stand to sofa.
51" would look stupid? That sounds like something my mother would say about a big TV! :laugh: I'm sitting about 2.5m from my 59" D6900 and it's starting to look small to me. I know I'd be seriously disappointed if I'd gone for anything smaller.

Unless you have a small alcove that the TV absolutely must fit into, trust me, 51" is going to make you regret not stepping up to a 60" or 65" panel.

Edit: aah, I see you've changed it to 1m from stand to sofa. That might be a bit too close for a +60" panel!
Has the E6500 also got line bleed and banding?
I've yet to see a recent plasma (Samsung or Panasonic) that hasn't got line-bleed to some degree. Not sure about the banding though.

Ok 42" looked big and just right to be honest and I do think that the 51" will be overkill. If they both have line bleed and both have those issues. I think panasonic would be the better one to go for?

rchads89 said:
Ok 42" looked big and just right to be honest and I do think that the 51" will be overkill.

That's what I thought, and I am happy with my 42incher. No problems with it shrinking, so I'd say shrinkage must be a Samsung issue ;--)

Local richer sounds have got 2 in but there open boxes so not too keen on them to be honest ....

The E6500 hi spek hold them in stock as far as I can see and they want 29.95 to get it shipped to me. Crampton and moore have them in @ £699 might go for that! Unlike richersounds though if it turns up with a pixel out they don't swap it. So I need to be lucky not to get one IF I go for that option.

Last edited:
I sit just about 1.4m from my 51" and its too close, check your measurements as that sounds very close, too close for 51".

Heres the distance sorry about the mess was unimpressed about taking back my last tv. Now got to put up with the 22" technika till i sort out a replacement :(

I've worked it out its about 2 meters I'd say

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
rchads89 said:
Heres the distance sorry about the mess was unimpressed about taking back my last tv. Now got to put up with the 22" technika till i sort out a replacement :(

I've worked it out its about 2 meters I'd say

51" E6500 mate.
Would at first seem huge but then it will shrink ;)

Insanity202 said:
51" E6500 mate.
Would at first seem huge but then it will shrink ;)

Can't mate misses just had a massive go and said its too big lol. I see her point!

I just wish that this years plasmas did not have line bleed because its so annoying!

Can't mate misses just had a massive go and said its too big lol. I see her point!

I just wish that this years plasmas did not have line bleed because its so annoying!

Do you go to the pictures and say that screen is too big:laugh:

Have owned 5 plasmas and all have had line bleed to a lesser or greater degree only ever saw it on text/end credits and poor quality adverts so has never bothered me.

Regards Martin

Had a word with the misses and she said do what you want so I may take a look at the E6500 then :) hope it does not look daft!

Had a word with the misses and she said do what you want so I may take a look at the E6500 then :) hope it does not look daft!

My misses said my first 50" was too big but when I was going to upgrade to another 50" she said if youre going to get another tv you might aswell get a bigger one:laugh:so I did

Regards Martin

go for the e6500 you wont regret it, and it wont take long to think thats small i do with my 59" and wish i had gone for the 64" now.

Been there lol it was my money though so she didn't argue too much, next set will be a 60" lol Mrs isn't happy but hey, don't stop her buying books, shoes and bags.

Get a tape measure out, 51" will be fine 6ft+ IMO any closer though and you'll see dithering and artifacts.

Scooby2000 said:
Been there lol it was my money though so she didn't argue too much, next set will be a 60" lol Mrs isn't happy but hey, don't stop her buying books, shoes and bags.

Get a tape measure out, 51" will be fine 6ft+ IMO any closer though and you'll see dithering and artifacts.

Yeah this is my money also lol :)

Yeah it doesn't look that close on the photo I suppose. I think I will just go for it and everyone I have asked which one to go for has said E6500 due to being good with IR.

Yeah it doesn't look that close on the photo I suppose. I think I will just go for it and everyone I have asked which one to go for has said E6500 due to being good with IR.

I can't speak from experience as I don't have this set, my D6900 (last years) is very good for gaming and going by what I read this set will be just as good.

I can't speak from experience as I don't have this set, my D6900 (last years) is very good for gaming and going by what I read this set will be just as good.

I've bit the bullet and ordered one. Be here Thursday hopefully. :thumbsup:

I'm on about 160 hours and have probly had the pc on for more than half of that as i use the e6500 as my monitor.
Start menu and taskbar ect have left no ir or anything, static maps ect in games have left no ir, i spose i game for an hour or 2 and then watch tv or goto google ect for abit and then repeat the proccess so i have'nt really gave it anything more than 2 or 3 hours constant with lets say a map icon in bottom of screen 24/7.

I went down my mates last night and we played farcry 3 on his 32pfl7606 passive 3dtv, the e6500 has less xtalk so it's nice to see something that does'nt pass a crosstalk test with flying colours but has pretty good 3d performance, good enough that i cant see myself gaming on my zero xtalk projector anytime soon.
My 3dtvplay 720p looked a few % behind the pfl in res quality at 1080p 3dvision interleaved 3d so your console will look great in 3d on this plasma.
I race at 5ft and watch films ect at 9 ft, at 5ft i see no dithering unless i'm in 3d mode and at 5ft in 2d dithering has tobe examined tobe seen so you should be ok imho

I think you may be happy with the set rchads89

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom