1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you subscribe to Film Four, you must read this!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 26, 2003.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Yes, it's another kick in the teeth from the idiots that run Channel 4 and FilmFour. :mad:

As of Monday 5th May 2003, FilmFour is ceasing 2 of its channels! You DID read that correct - 50% of the service will stop transmission! :eek: :nono: :eek:

FilmFour World and FilmFour Extreme are going to be pulled from the schedules permanently and replaced with the inferior "FilmFour Weekly"!

"Why is it inferior, Pooch?", I hear you ask. Well, for all of the following reasons.

- Instead of transmitting World between 4pm and 10pm, followed by Extreme material between 10pm and 4am, FilmFour Weekly will give you just 8pm-4am!

- Instead of showing different films everyday, you'll get just 3 films a week!!!!

- Instead of showing real foreign films, and extreme movies, you'll get (in May 2003, that is), such regular offerings as "The Usual Suspects", "Nikita, "The Way Of The Gun", "Wild At Heart", "My Best Friends Wedding" and "Taxi Driver". Essentially, material that FilmFour and FilmFour+1 already show... endlessly, I might add.

Channel 4 have said this decision was made due to lack of viewer interest, and after months of extensive customer discussion. If any of you received a phone call, an e-mail or even a letter from FilmFour about your viewing habits, then please let me know, because I heard nothing from them, and have also had no notification of the change of service either! :mad:

So, if you currently subscribe to FilmFour, like I do, I would think long and hard about continuing! I personally think this new channel is another con from the Channel 4 peeps, and I for one, will not fund it!

A very angry and hacked-off,

Pooch

2. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    FilmFour was always a waste of money from true movie fiends anyway IMO. Almost their entire roster of movies that appeal to me I already own on DVD. It should be free to air.

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    For all its faults, F4 does occasionally redeem itself, managed to watch Croupier and Tetsuo last Saturday, but no one has contacted me, i shall be contacting them, and also cancelling, my gf will love this, this is the moment she has been waiting for the usual sky movies drivel to come back on.

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IMO Film four offers the best film channel(s) on TV. They offer an excellent selection of films. They (almost) always broadcast in widescreen, no screen logos, lots of featurettes, interviews, and trailers. When I cancelled my Sky films subscription it never entered my head to get rid of FilmFour. Films that I have recorded onto DVD and shown on a 100inch screen have always been excellent quality.

5. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I agree with you there mate. Even on their free weekends there was never anything worth watching....

6. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, this week they're showing the same three decent films all week, which everyone and their dog has seen. Not exactly value for money.

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, since this is such a drastic step, and since FilmFour is a subscription channel, I think they'll have their feedback pretty quickly as people may either abandon the channel in droves, or sign up in favor of the new offering.

Personally, I think FilmFour is a great channel, but not worth the monthly fee.

8. Dr.Magus

Dr.Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only ended my subscription to Film Four a week ago but after hearing this news i'm glad i did. I was sick of seeing the same films repeated endlessly.

9. sifowler

sifowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't have bothered subscribing but I couldn't refuse their offer of half price for 3 months.

10. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Film Four is the only pay service I would have considered subscribing to. However, since I can only get it by paying the great Satan (Murdoch) as well, I've always declined. Now I think I'm better off just buying the DVDs.

11. bawheid

bawheid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Pooch you are bang on there mate.

Filmfour were showing a wide and varied output. They were great for people who live outside the cities and can't get to "arthouse" cinema's. I caught up on lot's of films I would never get a chance to see ( foriegn, British Independant, American Independant ). They had good introductions to many films ( ok Mark Kermode does go on a bit, but his heart's in the right place ).

It seems filmfour is destined to go the way of Channel Four. Where once they inovated and nurtured new talent, they now fill our screens with "reality" dross such as the Salon or Big Brother.

It's a real shame but pooch is right the subscription has to end.

Ba'heid :(

12. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've cancelled my Film Four subscription, for 2 reasons they took away extreme, and they repeated films too darn often for the money.