If you liked that, you'll like this: CLASSICAL

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by shadowritten, Mar 28, 2006.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I'd get a couple of new threads going that might come in handy for forum members. This is the first of two.

How it works is like this:

Someone posts, 'I really like the Elgar Cello Concerto which I heard in the film 'Hilary & Jackie'. I don't know much about classical music, but I'm interested to hear more of this kind of stuff - what do you recommend?'

In this instance, I might reply by suggesting that the poster try Gerald Finzi's Cello Concerto, or Dvorak's. Or, if the poster had asked about an artist - sticking with our example, let's say Jacqueline Du Pre - and wanted to hear more by that musician or similar, I might recommend other Du Pre recordings, or suggest they check out Maria Kliegel or Ofra Harnoy.

Anyway, you get the idea. So get posting/recommending.

2. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Ok, How about:

Chopin, Piano concerto No 1 in E Minor OP 11 - Second Movement?

Cheers

Chris

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last! A challenge! :clap:

Right, I'm listening to the Chopin piece right now, and these are the suggestions I'd make, based on the understanding that you'll probably like the slow movements from piano concerti (plural of concerto) composed between about 1820 and 1940:

1) Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 1 in C, Op. 15 - 2nd movement

2) Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 5 'Emperor' in E Flat Major, Op. 19 - 2nd movement

3) Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 15 - 2nd movement

4) Chopin - Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21 - 2nd Movement

5) Dvorak - Piano Concerto in G Minor, Op. 33 - 2nd movement

6) Grieg - Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 16 - 2nd movement

7) Litolff - Concerto Symphonique No. 2 in B Minor, Op. 22 - 3rd movement

8) Litolff - Concerto Symphonique No. 3 in E Flat, Op. 45 - 3rd movement

9) Mendelssohn - Piano Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 40 - 2nd movement

10) Moszkowski - Piano Concerto in E Major, Op. 59 - 2nd movement

11) Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18 - 2nd movement

12) Ravel - Piano Concerto in G Major - 2nd movement

13) Schumann - Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 54 - 2nd movement

14) Shostakovich - Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major, Op. 102 - 2nd movement

15) Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Major, Op. 44 - 2nd movement

Of all of these, I'd highly recommend you hear 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 and 14. All of the others will, I'm sure, also be right up your street, but the ones I've just singled out are exceptional and bound to bring hours of listening pleasure.

Happy buying! :)

4. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Excellent, many thanks, I will pick up a few next time I am in town, Any particualr recording of any of them to look out for?

Cheers

Chris

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris

Here are a handful of suggested recordings:

Arguably, the piece closest to the Chopin you like is probably the Beethoven No. 1, 2nd mvt - though it's fractionally earlier in style to the Chopin. Naxos or Phillips versions are both good choices.

For the Grieg, I strongly recommend you go to an online retailer like www.mdt.co.uk and get the CD on EMI Red Line, with Cecile Ousset playing, and Sir Neville Marriner conducting, as you're unlikely to find it in the shops!* This isn't the critics' choice, but I own dozens of versions and this one still blows me away like nothing else! It's truly an outstanding, moving performance of the whole concerto - especially the beautiful 2nd mvt - plus you'll get the Schumann Piano Concerto I listed, too! Will cost you £6 plus P+P from MDT.

For the Litolff, try the recordings on the Hyperion label with Peter Donohoe. Fabulous sound on these discs, and the playing throughout is sparkling. The Second and Fourth Concerto Symphonique are paired on one disc, while the Third and Fifth are on another (no copy of his First survives). Find out more at www.hyperion-records.co.uk Both CDs are £11.50 each without P+P on MDT.

For everything else, you can trust good old, inexpensive Naxos (£5.99 per CD). If you buy at www.castleclassics.co.uk you'll get a free Naxos CD with every £35 you spend. So, you could buy six discs for £35.94, and get a seventh gratis! As to which to spring for first, try the Brahms, Ravel and Shostakovich (a note of caution here: you'll find the outer two movements more challenging with the Ravel and Shostakovich, but it's worth it just for the central movements), then experiment with the others.

If you pop over to www.naxos.com and register, you can hear 25% samples of almost every track on virtually every CD in their back catalogue for FREE! Twenty euros gets you a year's worth of listening to the FULL tracks - a real bargain.

*AVOID THE HMV CLASSICS VERSION!!! The sound is a bit clicky. No such bother with the EMI Red Line version.

6. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    How about:

"Prince Igor" by Alexander Borodin

:)

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Opera's not my strong point, I'm afraid, so I can only make suggestions based on the orchestral overture. These are:

Tchaikovsy - Romeo & Juliet, Fantasy Overture / The Tempest, Symphonic Fantasia Op. 18 / Hamlet, Fantasy Overture Op. 67

Wagner's vast operas might be worth exploring (I've only heard snippets), and you could also give Mahler's symphonies a whirl, as some of these have singing in them - No. 4 is particularly beautiful. :)

8. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Thanks, I'll have a look for the Mahler.

On seconds thoughts, just looked through my recent CDs and what do I find? Mahler symphony number 4! Don't think I've played it yet.

How about these:

"March on Aranjuez" by Rodruguez
    "Adagio for Strings" by S. Barber

Any suggestions for something by Saint Saens?

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not very familiar with Rodrugeuz - aside from the famous Guitar Concerto - so I'll let someone else make suggestions here. :)

As for the Barber, try Vaughan Williams' 'Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis' - all strings, utterly beautiful. Finzi's 'Prelude', though shortish at 4 mins, is another top recommendation. Well worth hearing another Vaughan Williams piece if you haven't already: 'The Lark Ascending' for violin and orchestra; and Michael Hurd's 'Sinfonia Concertante' in three movements is also likely to delight.

As for Saint-Saens, the Symphony No. 3 'Organ' is a must, as is the 2nd Piano Concerto. His Cello Concerti Nos. 1 & 2 are outstanding for the solo parts, and his playful 'Carnival of the Animals' might bring a smile to your face when you're in a lighter mood. Also, check out his 'Danse Macbre'.

10. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hello Shadow,
    I'm after something along the lines of the music from 'Crouching Tiger Hidden dragon', ie mellow dreamy chinese pieces.
    Thanks
    Will.

11. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    That was written by Dun Tan who also wrote the "Heaven, Earth, Mankind" Symphony "composed in celebration of the 1997 Hong Kong handover, using a complete set of "Bian Zhong", a priceless set of bronze bells in various sizes built over 2000 years ago." Beyond can't help, sorry.