1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you like this you will love this !

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Jul 4, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    The benifits of having a few days off work and nothing to do has meant I have been able to revisit some of the lesser known films in my collection and enjoy them again. I know that they are not the best films in the world but as a few hours of entertainment they worked and were enjoyable, so what are your favoured " lesser known " ( ie films which most people say are rubbish ) and also what films are the best for fans of ....

DIE HARD ie, Under Siege, Under Siege 2 and Drive

ALIENS ie, Virus ( well I enjoyed it ), Deep Rising, The Relic

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Guilty pleasures? Hmmmmmm where to begin....

I've got a soft spot (well, maybe not that soft ;) ) for the 2 action movies Anna Nichole Smith did - Skyscraper, the Die Hard rip-off where she played a gung ho chopper pilot foiling terrorists in a skyscraper, and To The Limit where she's some kind of CIA agent and it all seems to be big explosions and soft focus sex scenes. Okay, so I'm shallow, but I can't help it, there's a couple of things she's got going for her and they aren't either her acting ability or her skill in (not) keeping her clothes on. The films are pure second rate nonsense, but every time they pop up late at night on Bravo (who else would show pap like this except maybe Channel 5?) I always seem to end up watching them. Fans of action films would die laughing watching these 2 babies. Inept just doesn't describe them well enough. And you know things are gonna be bad when there's names like Joey Travolta on the opening credits....

And there's The Revenge Of Billy The Kid. It's the most appallingly bad taste horror film ever made - Farmer McDonald ravishes his goat and then tries to drown the mutant offspring. He fails and it comes back to reak revenge on farmer McDonald and his family. His kids, incidently, are all called Ronald....even his daughter. If you're in the right mood for this one it's brilliant, otherwise it's dire.

Then there's the 80's Alien rip-off The Creature aka Titan Find, I love this film, along with Leviathan and Deepstar Six (the Abyss anyone??), none of which are particularly good but they are a whole lot of fun.

[ 04-07-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Just remember to great Van Dam movies ( bet nobody thought they would see that in print ) these being HARD TARGET which is one of my top ten action movies and SUDDEN DEATH, oh almost forgot UNIVERSAL SOLDIER as well

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Yup, Klaus Kinski's in it as a creepy letch and he was nearly always chewing on a sandwich in every scene he was in. It's available on a very cheap ($6.99) disc in the US that you can pick up at Amazon (as The Creature). It's fullscreen, but the soundtrack is a pretty well done DPL, which I have to admit surprised me, and although the film looks a bit on the grainy side, it's a hell of a lot better than the ex-rental vhs tape I junked when I got the disc. When you think about the price, you can't really go wrong. It's a bare bones disc though, with a staggering 2 or 4 chapters (can't remember which)!!!
    It's amazing how well this film holds up, even today. You'll run out of fingers counting the bits ripped off from Alien though.
    Ace film. A real video shop gem from the 80's.

[ 04-07-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I didn't like Sudden Death too much, Van Damme's coke habit was starting to show by that point, but I always thought Maximum Risk was far better than critics would have you believe, and even Double Team had some wild moments like the "tunnel vision" effect when JCVD picks his opponents out of crowds, that was pretty cool. I wasn't too sure about the makeup they used to try and define Mickey Rourke's six-pack though, it didn't work at all.

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]

6. karaokeklive

karaokeklive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the "advice" of a friend of mine I bought a copy of "Set It Off" -starring Jada Pinkett, Queen Latifah, Vivica A. Fox, Kimberly Elise, John C. McGinley.

What a gem of an action packed movie, a sort of female version of "Heat", but with real attitude. It's now available from HMV online at their sale price.

For me this is a definate - watch more than twice movie.

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that last sentance !!! Almost all my films have been watched twice but its only those regarded as " rubbish " that I tend to watch more and more

So at risk of turning this into another " good and bad " thread, recommend and DEFEND your favourite rubbish film

Im actually gonna get SET IT OFF

8. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaah. Video hits from the 80's. Anyone remember Trancers? Or Chud? Both had sequels but I dont think they were much cop.

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Yeah Levianthan is also a great film.

What others are worth a watch. Im still tempted to buy THE BIG HIT after hearing loads of good things about it !

I really enjoyed VIRUS, even though it had some terible reviews but I love these type of 2nd rate films ( have to admit that the ANS movies above do not sound to my taste :) ) Also enjoyed SOLDIER, it may have crap acting and a fairly week story but to be honest so did COMMANDO and everyone likes that.

WING COMMANDER is another film I have watched loads of times, you dont have to think to hard and not only do I find it enjoyable but its also a great HC flick.

I would much rather watch any of the above ( and I have loads more like this ) than either TRAFFIC and AMERICAN BEAUTY.

Am I alone in this ? or are there any other fans of " slated by the masses " films ?

10. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I loved Titan Find!!!

Didn't think that anybody else remembered it :)

Klaus Kinski was in it wasn't he?

11. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Trancers. Ace film. Jack Deth was THE MAN!

Dry hair's for squid's....

I was a big fan of Q The Winged Serpent, The Stuff, Vamp, The Sword And The Sorceror, all this dodgy 80's video stuff that Anchor Bay are releasing now in rather tasty disc versions.

Karla, this is getting scary now. ;)

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    JOhn J,

"Trancers" was a wayyyy cool movie! Definitely a cult classic. I've never seen any of the 4/5 sequels, but I would love to get a decent DVD of the original, complete with a decent set of extras.

Ditto for "Q, The Winged Serpent"! One of Larry Cohen's best movies, ever! Superb OTT acting from bith Michael Moriarty and David Carradine! And even the stop-motion animation still holds-up pretty well, alongside the likes of "Clash Of The Titans" - another 1980's classic!

The 1980s was definitely one of the best decades for both movies and music.

Pooch

13. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ahhhh....the 80's - when I was never at school and used to hire 3 films a day (when you could rent them for 99p each if you returned 'em that same day).

How about these lovely "B" listers(I'll remember more as the day goes on, I'm sure):

The Wraith (Charlie Sheen + car crashes + explosions + supernatural thingies + cool soundtrack = very influencial flick for an impressionable teenage boy)
    The Kindred
    Christine
    The Barbarians
    The Hidden (a frankly AWESOME film)
    Return of the Living Dead 1 & 2
    Flesh and Blood (Rugey Hugey and Jennifer Jason Leigh...ultra gory and *giggles* rude)
    Warlock
    Scanners
    Angel Heart
    Basket Case
    Brain Dead
    Maniac Cop
    The Company of Wolves
    Creepshow
    Pet Sematary
    The Friday 13th Series
    Edit: And of course, Mad Max 2...just incredible....ohhh, and Blade Runner (though, to call it "B" list is a bit harsh).

Ahhh...memories - I really could go on all day....come on guys - jog our memories a little bit more :)

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Juzminator ]

14. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    This thread of Duncan's seems to have been hijacked by a bunch of 80's video junkies :D sorry mate.

Juzminator, how could you forget The Hitcher??? If it's possible to wear out a disc, that'll be my first, having already seen off my widescreen vhs I'm flogging the disc like there's no tomorrow aswell.

15. projectionist2001

projectionist2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Revenge of billy the kid!!!!!!!!!!

Had almost forgotten about that!
    I saw it ages ago on a video rental (cut I'm sure) Where did you get your copy of it???

16. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    It's out on R2 for around £10. I think I paid £8.99 for mine from Play.

17. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dammit - I knew I'd forget something!

Spot on mate - that was another big time fave...it was (I think) the first video I *ahem* made a backup of.

Loved the bit where the two police cars crashed simultaneously - I must've watched that film about 30 times.....God, how could I forget it :confused: ?

Any more, John J?

18. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My go !!!!

Ok remember the mini sword and sorcery boom in the early 80's? Then check out anchor bays region 1 copy of the "Sword & The Sorceror" or the region 0 copy of "The Beastmaster" billed as a directors cut.Low budger spills and thrills. What ever happen to Lee Horsley (anyone remember Matt Houston?)

Then there's that wonderful/ludricous jaws cash in "Orca Killer Whale". If you are into Richard harris, Bo Derek having her leg bitten off and aborted whale embryo's this is the movie for you. Excellent Ennio Morricone soundtrack. Available on region 2 on the dutch bridge entertainment label.

Finally, shame about the full screen transfer, but who could object to the intelligently written, politically sensitive masterpiece, that is "Who Dares Wins". It's got 80's mega star Lewis Collins, a wonderful cast of stock british action pictures stars and action scenes by ace ex bond stunt co-ordinator, Bob Simmons. Furthermore, it features the most sad and stereo typical rock concert ever. Were there ever bands like metamorphasis? Also, is there really a Bishop of Cambden?

19. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, let's get cheaper.

3D movies for example. How about the insanely plotted "Treasure Of The Four Crowns" starring the incredibly named Tony Anthony. Another Indiana Jones cash in with yet another wonderful Ennio Morricone soundtrack. How comes this guy composes some of his best work for such pants movies.

"Lifeforce" is a true classic. The longest version available is the region 1 dvd from MGM-UA. American cinema prints were shorter than the european version. This release is the longest cut. It always reminded me of "Quatermass & The Pit" but without the brains.

Trivia point, Colonel Caine played by Peter Firth (colin bro) was in a 70's kid programme with Melvyn Hayes called the Double Deckers. It also featured Brindsley Ford from ASWAD.

Mad point, in this film while Matilda May is wondering around naked in this high security complex, how does one of the security guards try to lure her in to custody? He offers her a biscuit!!!!

Dark Angel, was a very underated action flic. For some reason it went under the ludicrous title of "I come In Peace" in the US.

I liked "The Punisher" although purists didn't like it straying from the source material.

Other obscure tiles: "Ruckus" a first blood ripoff starring "face man" Dirk Benedict. Also "Humanoids From The Deep" & "The Beast Within". All available on region 1 DVD.

As for the subtitles on Orca, I still haven't received my copy yet (on back order) but if it's like the copy of "The Howling" that bridge entertainment put out, then they can be turned off.

20. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    And Jean-Luc Picard bled profusely from his ears, nose, mouth and eyes in Lifeforce....personally, I think this should have happened in Star Trek sometime too.....Bring back Kirk!!!!

21. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Humanoids From The Deep. Baaaaaad film.
    Am I mistaken, or for 2 or 3 years was Doug McClure the coolest man in movies??? He must've been in every bad monster movie ever made. I see The Land That Time Forgot and The Blob (Steve McQueen version) are coming out on a budget priced double feature disc in the US courtesy of Goodtimes, available for well under $10 in most places. Warlords Of Atlantis was another one of those that used to get flogged to death during bank holidays on TV, but where are they now? We don't need yet more re-runs of James Bond films, we want some dodgy old monster movies that we can kick back and remember our youth with. The original V mini series was a godsend during the Olympics or whatever it was that Summer it first came out. No one I know can remember the Olympics, but everyone remembers how they were glued to V for the whole week. Shame all the follow up series were just so awful.

22. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Hey, brainstorm.....

Batchelor Party (Tom Hanks best film!)
    Beat Street
    Breakdance
    BMX Bandits
    The Man With 2 Brains
    Spookies
    Ghoulies
    The Burning
    House Party

...and the Gene Wilder/Donald Sutherland French Revolution comedy by Bud Yorkin, the first film we ever recorded on out funky new vcr waaaaaaaay back in the early 80's....Start The Revolution Without Me.
    And who could forget Harold And Maud?????

Now that's a blast from the video shop past

23. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all those video junkies that used to rent all those wonderfully lurid pre VRA titles, remember any of these:

"The Rise & Fall Of Idi Amin" (availble at http://www.sazuma.com/)

"Stoogemania" with Sid Ceasar about a clinic for people who behaved like the 3 stooges (also known as "Party Stooge".

"Rosemary's Killer" (aka The Prowler)slash n stalk with excellent Tom Savini FX.

Martial arts mayhem with Scott Glenn & Toshiro Mifune in the "The Challenge".

"The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue. Doomwatch style plot with fascist cops. (Available on region 0 anchor bay)

Remember when the local vid shop used to have popular titles on both VHS & Betamax. My local outlet even had titles on V2000

Anyone remember video discs?

24. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One film that can never be adapted to DVD is The House on Haunted Hill in EMERGO! Anyone see this scary treat? At the end of the film when the method of haunting the house is revealed, a skeleton emerged from a box at the side of the screen and travelled along a cable fixed to the front of the balcony. The whole house erupted with laughter - the skeleton was made of cardboard and had three red bulbs fixed to it - that was EMERGO! Another thrill was in 'Thirteen ghosts' when you could only see the ghosts if you were brave enough to look through the blue lens of a pair of specs that were provided. If you looked through a red lens then you saw nothing. Mind you if you looked at the screen without the specs, you could see the ghosts. Weird! The film was black and white and the projected ghosts were red. Another gimmick was with the film Macabre which insured you for £1000 against death by fright and just before the climax a clock ticked away on the screen for one minute giving you enough time to leave the cinema if you couldn't handle it! Those were the days! Who needed CGI?

25. projectionist2001

projectionist2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rambo, goulies and spookies were good, but do you remember gargoyles???

26. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    William Castle, what a showman. Does anyone know what "percepto" was? Another of his gimmicks.

Gargoyles, hmmm wasn't that a TV movie from the early 70's. Quite creepy if I remember. Starred Cornel Wilde. Early Stan Winston FX.

Anyone ever see the "Naked Prey". Far better than the Italian cannibal movies that came along 15 years later.

As we all seem to be of the same age group (I guess). What was everyones favourite "video nasty". It seems so weird that after watching 5th generation pirate copies, you can now get DVD versions of such classics as "Zombie Flesheaters", "Ilsa" & "Maniac".

I always had a soft spot for "The New York Ripper".

27. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I saw "The Driller Killer" on one of those "Film Four on Channel Four evenings", and I have to say that I was terribly disappointed - after years and years of hearing about how nasty this film was, it just didn't live up to my expectations.

I'd be very interested to see which of the "nasties" you guys recommend as being truly deserving of that name (and of which Regional version I should look for to get the full impact of their "nastiness").

I'm not weird though........yes Mother...I do hear the voices...bwahahahhahhaaa ;)

28. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Oh dear, this thread really does bring a tear to the eye!
    Karla, you brought out the sad bit in me, CHUD!!!! :D
    Remember what it stood for?

Canabilisitc Humanoid Underground Dweller!!! :) :) :)

That was the US Government term for the altered sub-humans, livivng in the sewers, that had been affected by the toxic leaks from the dumping of chemical cannisters down there....... :D

What a story. Classic 80's fare.

I can't stop laughing.

29. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Despite it's ravaging by the critics I rather like HUDSON HAWK (oh its all gone quite), or that other Brucie film THE LAST BOY SCOUT.
    Others include:-
    DARK ANGEL- Dolph Lundgren dodging mini-discs
    SPLIT SECOND- Rutger Hauer realizing half way through the film his careers hit rock bottom.
    DEAD BANG- A Don Johnson classic (sarcasm)
    FREEJACK- Mick Jagger playing Mick Jagger
    SCREAMERS- The bloke from Robocop getting his ears damaged on a distant planet..
    ROBOCOP- The bloke from Screamers getting the rest of his body damaged in the distant future
    SHADOW DANCER- So bad it's.... erm, well it's just bad. Somebody must have thought, "what are the two biggest grossing films of recent years? I know, Terminator and Die Hard. So let's make a film where an android takes over this sky scrapper."
    LIFE FORCE- A Brit sci-fi/horror with a token American in it.

As mentioned above, as bad as these films are I am going to, or have watched them more times than the likes of American Beauty, Magnolia or Traffic.

30. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Life Force is an absolute pearl of a movie. I must've seen it over 50 times since it first came out (and at least 6 of them were in the local ABC) and it still never fails to amuse me.

Biggup to Dirk though, the guy's a star! I had no idea Orca was released anywhere, so now thanks to you and www.proxis.com I'm £13 lighter in the pocket. Excellent film, exploitation cash-in at it's best/worst. It'll be nice to see it in the proper ratio.
    Wouldn't know if the subtitles are burnt on would you? Not that I'm really bothered, this is one less flick on my "Wants" list now. Pleasures don't come much guiltier than Orca Killer Whale.

Matt Houston was a really good 'tec series. Wasn't he an insanely rich oil barron that solved crimes as a private detective? Monday nights were just perfect back then with the Blue Thunder (another underrated movie aswell) series, and stuff like Manimal with Simon McCorkindale changing into pretty useless animals to solve crimes (or something), what were they? A puma, an eagle, and something else....was it a fish or something daft like that???