If you knew then what you know now..

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Age old question that comes around every now and again, especially when you meet old acquaintances or hear about someone you knew has done something good or bad that makes you reflect.

Doubled edged sword?

1. For me personally I wish I had ignored the local gang at aged 11, kept my head down walked on by and continued my education... However I'm glad i made the mistakes i have made as i may not have been the person i am today with a loving wife and son.

2. Bought shares in Microsoft.

3. Bought shares in gold a few years ago!

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I'm happy right now with pretty much every aspect of my life, knowing what I know now in "back then" might have resulted in things working out a lot different, not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.

But for sake of argument I think the one thing I would do with the knowledge I have now is convince/help an old friend of mine to get off drugs and have someone there for him to help him through it instead of walking away from them when I couldn't "get through" at first. Not just to save a friendship, but also a young life. Thinking about things like that makes the whole money side seem pretty unimportant to me.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I think you have to make the mistakes to learn from them, so while I may think I'd have changed this and that, in retrospect, I'd have just fallen down another set of holes avoiding the ones I know about now.

For example, I'd probably liked to have jumped onto the property ladder a few years earlier than I did, but that would have brought a boat load of other issues for me at the time.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
'Everything happens for a reason' or 'your life is destiny/fate' '*it happens' or even 'every action has a reaction' are common sayings you may come across in your time.

I suppose learning from your mistakes and ensuring at the best of your ability you do not redo the same mistakes is probably the most priceless lesson you could achieve.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
I've posted on this topic before, saying that without the good and seemingly bad things that happen, we would not be who we are or where we are today.

I'm happy where I am, however, If there really was one thing you could change, it would be to ask the hospital to heel prick test my boy for GA1.

Maybe then he would still be walking and talking.

That is my only regret.:(

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I think Iccz is right. It would be great to go back and fix things that didn't go as well as could be, but It would have consequences.

I've often pondered on this sort of thing, I think It might make a good film - a bit like 'Peggy Sue Got Married' or 'Back To The Future'.

The plot....

1) A person 20's/30's gets the opportunity to go back to childhood and do it all again, fix stuff and such.
2) Hell yes!!!
3) Get rich by having a knowledge of the future. £££££
4) The person assumes that they can easily hook back into the time line where they can get to be with the ones they love the Mrs/kids/dog etc...
5) Not that simple - infact very difficult if you think about it.
6) Arse.
7) Realise all this wealth amounts to nothing, because they've lost everything they care about.
8) Struggle like hell to get back to way it was on their original time line.
9) Ultimately realise that life is a journey and the good and the bad is part of what makes life special. ***This is the message***
10) Some sort of trashy ending - preferably one were you end up blubbing a tad.

Perhaps this has already been made?

Mr Cameron?.....

Last edited:
Life is a roller coaster, i've had my fair share of low points, i'm currently on a high, enjoying each and every day.

I would not change a thing, its made me the man i am today.

Sid

Beetlejuice

Distinguished Member
I've only ever 'been' with one person; we have been together for almost 8 years now. I love her to bits, but sometimes feel that I have missed out on 'the chase' and the thrill that brings.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Looking back, yes I would change things. But then really thinking about it, I'm not 100% sure I would. I mean, if I was to change even the smallest things, who knows what kind of effect that kind have on my future life? Would I have the same job? Same friends? Would I be happy? Am I still living at home? Am I on drugs?

So yes, quickly thinking about it, but after a while, when you sit down and realise what you are gambling with then no. I might not be 100% happy now, but I'm happy enought to keep things the way they are.

wack

If I knew that she was going to be the last under 20 year old girl i'd get jiggy with would I have showed little interest in a fit 19 year old when I was 32 and recently divorced.

what a **** :suicide:

Ned Senior

I would change nothing about my past apart from the debts whatever I did was by choice and if not fun or if painful I swiftly went to plan B
Nowadays I am a "nice" member of the community meaning no harm to anyone I do have faults and grumpy days but hey!!!!
Things I did do taught me to guide my kid well I believe as he has never been a bother to family or friends or strangers in the street (that is apart from lobbin eggs n tomatoes at black hack drivers)
He was an inner city kid living apart from dad a good lad though

one thing to also be glad about was going on safari at age 14-15 and wandering about europe as when I came home all my former mates were on hard drugs and from the outside they looked a mess... had I stayed local who knows what state I would now be in

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I think Iccz is right. It would be great to go back and fix things that didn't go as well as could be, but It would have consequences.

I've often pondered on this sort of thing, I think It might make a good film - a bit like 'Peggy Sue Got Married' or 'Back To The Future'.

The plot....

1) A person 20's/30's gets the opportunity to go back to childhood and do it all again, fix stuff and such.
2) Hell yes!!!
3) Get rich by having a knowledge of the future. £££££
4) The person assumes that they can easily hook back into the time line where they can get to be with the ones they love the Mrs/kids/dog etc...
5) Not that simple - infact very difficult if you think about it.
6) Arse.
7) Realise all this wealth amounts to nothing, because they've lost everything they care about.
8) Struggle like hell to get back to way it was on their original time line.
9) Ultimately realise that life is a journey and the good and the bad is part of what makes life special. ***This is the message***
10) Some sort of trashy ending - preferably one were you end up blubbing a tad.

Perhaps this has already been made?

Mr Cameron?.....

Kind of, very loosely a bit like Butterfly Effect.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom