If you have just watched a fil then tell us about it !

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ages ago I asked for a reviews forum and said we would wait for TOTAL DVD to come on-line. Well I think we have waited long enough so lets start simple and start here.

Everytime you visit the forum, come here and post a little about the last film ( DVD, VIDEO, TV or CINEMA )

This should give us a good smallish review section, afterall we know each other fairly well by now and respect each others views

Just a week ago or so, I saw Boiler Room for the second time. I only saw it on the plane the first time, so when it started at the cinema here I had to go and see it again.
It is fantastic. In short it is about a young and up and coming trader on the NY stock exchange who gets involed in bad dealings. Giovanni Ribisi(Gone in 60 Seconds, Saving Private Ryan), Vin Diesel(Saving Private Ryan, Pitch Black), Ben Affleck, and Jamie Kennedy(Scream, Three Kings) are all fantastic and pull of the excellent script with class. A must see. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be buying it very shortly.
Neil
smile.gif

P.S This is a great idea for a post Duncan! Cheers.

------------------
That's pretty lame Milhouse!
http://members.tripod.co.uk/Neildo/index.html

[This message has been edited by Neildo (edited 12-11-2000).]

house on haunted hill:

rented it from the local video shop (dvd though) and was pleasantly surprised, gave my new amp a good workout.

it also had fantastic set pieces, the old psychiatric equipment with enormous levers etc added to the atmosphere. It was also quite sick in places 'great'

one bit of balls was the house itself, it was an enormous tower, aint gonna happen and when the folk ran away from the black ****, on the ground floor, one staircase later and they were at the top, continuity?

------------------
'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

Watched Stepmom last night, one for the mrs, made her cry, made me fall asleep.
Dont bother with this one, thank god I rented it
smile.gif

Picture quality was great, but the sound was'nt up to much, mainly dialogue.
Tim

------------------
Somebody's poisoned the waterhole.

[This message has been edited by Timh (edited 12-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Timh (edited 12-11-2000).]

Jackie Chan's Shanghai Noon. A pretty good action 'romp'. Not as good as Rush Hour, but some very funny moments. One serious omission..Jackie doesn't run up a wall!

------------------
www.baldyplex.com

i watched a class film jackie chan in new fists of fury. quite old one of his originals no action for 1.5 hours then a huge fihgt then the best ending ever but i couldnt spoil it for anybody. i got 5 jackie discs for £20 but the disc are genric and the picture and sound are attrocious but i wasnt really expecting much so i wasnt disappointed.

------------------
the blues brothers.....they still owe you money foo'

We rented The Talented Mister Ripley last night. Unfortunately, I was ever so slightly the worse for wear after watching Wales beat Samoa, and I crashed out after about 15 minutes!

However, my better half reliably informs me it was a really good film and she'd quite like it to be added to our collection at some point!

Must admit though, the little that I do remember, I don't think it's my cup of tea. But then I wasn't exactly coherent at the time!

Recently at the cinema:

Bedazzled - though it contained some good laughs overall the story was not coherent and somehow lovelessly cut together, not to mention the most stupid ending; as well I found Liz's acting not that impressive, and George of the Jungle couldn't make up for that.

Overall: ** out of 5

The Skulls - not bad, something different and IMHO very entertaining. Perhaps not what I would like to own on DVD but makes a good evening at the flix ...

Overall: **** out of 5

On TV:

Set it Off - 4 (black) female girls tie up and start robbing banks, but it's less of an action movie than a drama and perhaps even in the same class as "Heat".
Won't tell you too much, but it doesn't have a happy end - a movie according to my liking.
wink.gif

Overall: ***** out of 5 - ordered on DVD

Disclaimer: The above rating and opinion is absolutely subjective and no guarantee that YOU will like this movie(s). So watch at your own risk ...

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 13-11-2000).]

Watched 'Blade' for the first time this weekend.

What was that all about - don't get me wrong great for DVD and cheesy action - initial 'Bloodbath' club fight scene is great for channel steering effects and music BUT what a lame storyline

This is the type of movie where you skip to the fight scenes for your mates - but the tedium that is the plot is just soooo predictable, in Reiner style I give this

*** out of 5, and this is purely for the action

Saw 'Talented Mr Ripley' a week or so ago. Great idea for a film but just not dark enough for my liking. The potential for this to have been a psycho-thriller is unbelievable but it just didn't cut it - I wanted to be scared or on the edge of my seat but it didn't happen. Jude Law and Matt Damon put on a good performance though, shame about Gwyneth!

*** out of 5

Watched 'Sixth Sense' again. Even though I saw this at the pics and knew the outcome - still a great movie with one of the best endings since 'Seven'. How that little kid can be so convincing is beyond me. Good extras on this disc too even if it was R2.

**** out of 5

'Erin Brokovich' I am always dubious of courtroom'ish dramas beacuse there are normally gaping errors in the way things are done e.g. Law student or cab driver becomes great advocate just on the basis of a bit of 'street knowledge'. This is one film where law is quite accurately portrayed - hard work - research - boring procedures and REALITY (no exciting trial here folks a la Grisholm). As it is based on a true story it also makes it far more powerful - I rate this highly and I don't particularly like Julia Roberts

***** out of 5

Have got 'Enemy of the State' and 'This Years Love' to watch this week. Be interested to see if anyone has watched the latter - just picked it up from local library because Kathy Burke is in it.

[This message has been edited by D J Fryer (edited 13-11-2000).]

Watched X-Men, Gladiator, Titan AE and Chicken Run (All region 1)over the weekend.

Gladiator - Everyone knows what to expect from this DVD, and it is all true. Absolutely stunning is all I can say.....picture is first class and the DTS soundtrack is simply fantastic. Loads of good extras as well.

X-Men - really enjoyed the film, picture and sound are great. Have not yet had a chance to look at the extended branching version that contains the deleted scenes, but have heard that it is not a different version of the film. Apparently you have to manually select to view each deleted scene as you watch the film????

Titan AE - had not heard much about this before buying it, but really enjoyed it. Basically Earth has been destroyed by a race of aliens and the surviving humans have been scattered throughout the galaxy. A young human is the only hope in finding the location of a ship named 'The Titan', the only hope left for the human race. A race against time ensues as the humans try to locate the ship before the aliens. The film itself is visually stunning, and the DTS soundtrack could be the best I have ever heard !!

Chicken Run - took a short while to get into it but really enjoyed the film. Chickens decide that a life of laying eggs in no longer for them and plot to escape. Picture quality is very good and the DTS soundtrack when it gets going is good as well.

overall a damn good weekend !!!

cheers

gavin.

Im halway through spinal tap
never seen it b4
and it truly is good

Watched Any Given Sunday yesterday and I thought it was very good. I'm not a fan of American football (or for that matter sports films) but I am a fan of Oliver Stone. IMO you don't have to have any interest in American Football (though you'd probably enjoy it more if you did) to enjoy this film. The acting, script and direction is good and the Dolby Digital soundtrack is one of the best I've heard (especially if you like LFE).

However, if you can't stand Oliver Stone and his style of direction then don't bother.

Finished Spinal Tap. Was very good and very funny, made a refreshing change from the duller comedies of present such as road trip and american pie which just rehash the same old joke and show some teenage guy jerking off ( not funny )

Not sure what else to watch now but can vouch that Any Given Sunday is great too

High Fidelity, with the excellent John Cusack.

I really enjoyed this. I like films with the main character talking to the audience throughout. A friend and I laughed a lot at the many things we have in common that we shared with this film. His girly looked on in gradual understanding at why we get on so well!

Stuart

Just got round to watching PITCH BLACK. Perhaps its cos I did not get caught up in the hype but I really enjoyed it.

Yes I did have to sit well back so not to fall into the gaping holes in the plot and yes the film was helped by some very good coincendeces but this I aside I liked it.

Would like to see more of the RIDDICK character in the future as he seems to have some great potential and the CREATURES were great, very well designed and fearsome.

The soundtrack was also very good, not the best DTS track yet but it fitted well with the action and the sound of the creatures sneaking around each speaker was good too.

Highly recommended.

Keep your views coming, espescially with things like, CHICKEN RUN, GLADIATOR and X-MEN due this week

Just finished CHICKEN RUN. It was much much much much more enjoyable at home than the cinema.

Yes I laughed at the cinema but just thought the film seemed lost on the BIG screen. But at home with the DTS soundtrack it came much more to life.

Up there with the TOY STORY movies IMHO

Does nobody else watch films but me ?

I have just finished GLADIATOR. Now this was very good at cinema and even better in the home. The DTS soundtrack is probably as good as I have heard and the 2nd DVD is as good as that supplied with the T2 special edition.

GLADIATOR should be in every DVD owners collection.

Roll on SATURDAY, im gonna watch X-MEN and RAGING BULL

Duncan - your dedication to the 'moving image' is admirable but I have a few words for you...

Pubs!
Clubs!
Girls!
Books!
Music!
Theatre!

Dont watch life! Live it!
smile.gif

Only messing mate - ever thought of starting your own fanzine?

Jay

------------------
"What the fudge - if ya cant say it, ya can't do it..."

Just watched Austin Powers TSWSM, o.k it's been out a while, but my mrs is working, and she haited the first one.
Well I thought it was great.
It's the first film I have watched on my new player (sony 335 techronics multi)
The picture was the best I have seen, probably becouse my old player was a sony 315 which got slated by HCC.
The sound quality also seemed to be better.
Watching Galaxy Quest DTS tomorrow night, cant wait.

Tim

------------------
Today is a good day yo die

GONE IN 60 SECONDS

Got it this morning and watched it when I got back from work.

Wot a load of boring tosh!

Now normally I don't mind tosh (ie. most Bruckenheimer films) but this one was BORING too. It bombed at the box office and I can see why. The story just doesn't go anywhere or generate any excitement.

Good sound though.

Overall 4/10.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom