1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you have a Tosh. Strata and an NTSC DVD...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Cheng, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I'm wondering if you guys could do me a favour (and yourselves), as there may be a problem with the Tosh. Stratas (or perhaps it could be just mine)..

Switch your TV to progress. mode.
    Switch your DVD to interlaced mode...
    Play an NTSC dvd..

Now look closely (you won't see it if you're far away) and please could you tell me if you see any combing/saw tooth artifacts...

I'm asking you this as apparently (according to the Tosh. support department) the Tosh's do not have an internal de-interlacer and thus produce distortions when in PS...

Also, apparently you are only meant to use Progress. mode with PS players, not interlaced (such as my Tosh. 220e).

Please reply with your findings, whether there are artifacts or none...

Regards,

Cheng

2. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheng,

I've replied to your other thread, but I will just emphasise that you cannot select Progress Mode if you are viewing a true pro scan signal (all 100Hz modes and Progress cannot be accessed).

Progress Mode is specifically for interlaced material. Toshiba are giving you the run-around, they don't want to admit there's a problem.

I'm sure there are other members who can confirm this.

3. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers biboo. I will email them again...:mad: This time saying why is there a selectable option if you can't select it when a PS signal is sent!

4. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    C'mon, there were a thousand plus replies, there must be a lot of strata owners here!

Remember, this is not just my problem but potentially a problem with your set as well!

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Cheng, how is your DVD connected to the set?

6. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheng,

I noticed the NTSC prog scan artefacts the 2nd week I had the set. I even said so in a reply to someone else on this very forum (you can look at my previous posts to see for yourself).

The internal de-interlacer, as is common to most mass market CRT prog scan sets, has been optimised for video sources (which require 2:2 pulldown), which works fine when de-interlacing PAL movies, but not so great for NTSC film material (which needs 3:2 pulldown). This is why you get the nasty combing and moire effects.

This is why bilbooo (the coolest guy on this forum) finds no fault with the Progress mode when viewing PAL discs (as he has said in your other thread). The NTSC de-interlacing errors are not a fault with your particular set, they are just characteristic of the (cheapo) de-interlacing chip bundled in these sets. Interestingly, one forum member with the JVC DIST set has said that in his case, these artefacts are present on PAL material, and not on NTSC, which leads me to believe that the JVC uses a chip that's been optimised for NTSC, and does not handle 2:2 pulldown well.

Internal de-interlacers such as those found in all consumer PS TV sets in this region are always a bit of a compromise, and dedicated chips in prog-scan capable DVD players are always the best bet for accurate de-interlacing. If you want to exploit the Strata's full potential, do what I belive Bilboo and most Tosh-owning forum members do - use components to feed prog scan NTSC from a PS-capable DVD player, and switch the Strata to 'Progress' mode while watching interlaced PAL. That way, you'll get artefact-free images on both formats.

Hope I've explained myself well!:)

Moory

7. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks a lot yellowcow :) I had already come to that conclusion like I said in the other thread; HOWEVER TOSHIBA DENY THERE IS AN INTERNAL DE-INTERLACER!

***!

I just wanted to know if this was 'my' tv or every ones, you've more or less confirmed it, but where the hell are the other strata owners...there are loads of them..

Cheers:)