1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you have a "Tiny" plasma then please read

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Lawyer237, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawyer237

Lawyer237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading with much interest the posts in relation to the problems people are apparently having with plasma televisions purchased from Tiny.Com

My own story is typical of many here. It starts with Tiny failing to deliver the wall mounting bracket, continues with numerous lengthy, but fruitless, telephone calls to “customer services”, progresses to Tiny then failing to deliver the bracket on second and third occasions and culminates with a plasma that suffers from very poor picture quality. My plasma suffers from the horizontal banding and awful colour artefacts together with an intermittent and complete loss of the display whenever using the component input (whatever the input source).

I took a careful look at my plasma and written on the back is a model number (PS42-D8). A quick search on the internet brings up a number of references to such a model. You may want to take a look at:

http://www.powerchinese.com.hk/plasmae.htm

and

http://www.mac-europe.co.uk/Products_TV.php?type=PDP TV

Does the look and specification seem familiar to you? The interesting thing is that the model delivered to me would appear to be a model with a contrast ratio and brightness that are different than those advertised, an advertisement that was a clear representation and one that induced the contract. In particular, the contrast is 1000:1 and not 3000:1 and the brightness is 640 and not 1000,

It would seem that the model that has the identical specification to the one advertised by Tiny is the model 42PHD (also shown on the site I refer to above). Obviously, this raises the question of if (and I do not know this as a fact) my plasma is simply a model made by “Powerchinese” and/or Harwa(whoever they are) then why do Tiny advertise the product as having been designed, made and assembled in the UK by them?

I am a lawyer and accordingly I wrote to Tiny asking that they explain this and other issues. I specifically asked that they identify the provenance of my plasma. As of 17 January 2005 I have had no response to that letter and so tomorrow I will write again giving them 10 working days to respond. If they do not:

1. Satisfy me that the plasma I have was assembled in the UK and has the specification of the one advertised; and
    2. Provide a plasma that is fit for the intended purpose; and
    3. Provide a plasma that is of reasonable and satisfactory quality; and
    4. Settle my claim for damages for the 2 days I took off work awaiting the delivery of a bracket

Then proceedings will most certainly be issued. I will then be seeking damages and rescission of the contract.

I must make it clear that it may be that Tiny have a legitimate answer to the question of the provenance of the plasma and that, in fact, there is no misrepresentation in that regard at all but to date no such explanation has been forthcoming. If it transpires that this plasma is simply a re-badge of the plasma identified on the web sites above (or as may be the case it was imported in kit form and put together by Tiny) then it may well be that others find this as unacceptable as I do. Whilst I do not wish to conduct numerous small claims against Tiny (and the matter of exactly which company we have contracted with is another matter of concern to me) then I will help others by making a copy of my pleadings and certain other court documents available, I expect these can then be edited for use by others.

Clearly, my case (if indeed this is a re-badge) may be an isolated instance but I would be interested to know just how many others have the model that I appear to have. If you do have the same model then please can you post that fact here and let me know when you ordered the plasma concerned.

NOTE: Since first writing this post my own plasma has failed. It went through a period of randomly losing all input signal, a period of switching itself off when turned on, a period of an intermittent loss of sound and finally it died completely. As of 24 January 2005 I have received no response at from Tiny.

2. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hello, I suffer the same issue and my model number is identical to yours- PS42-D8

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    same model number on mine and same problems experienced though they have undertaken to swap the panel. Was ordered beginning Nov 2004 and delivered 8th Dec 2004.

4. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Ordered november delivered december 21st, Another issuewas with my my teletext. It has strange blue horizontal lines over the screen flickering for a while everytime the tv is turned on. Anyone else had this problem? I was offered no refund or replacement.

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    looking at their web site they seem to have different models on offer now....i'm not sure that was the case when i ordered

6. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Satisfy me that the plasma I have was assembled in the UK and has the specification of the one advertised; and
    2. Provide a plasma that is fit for the intended purpose; and
    3. Provide a plasma that is of reasonable and satisfactory quality; and
    4. Settle my claim for damages for the 2 days I took off work awaiting the delivery of a bracket

My problem is that did you look at the screen beforehand?

1) It was probably NOT *FULLY* ASSEMBLED in the UK BUT if they do something 'else' to it by law they can say 'assembled' in the UK.

Most products in England are made somewhere else. No biggie imo but you can 'use' it to get a refund.

2) The plasma tv shows a tv image.

The quality is NOT GOING TO BE UP TO par like Panny 6 or 7 series etc or a more pricey screen.

3) This is up to interpretation and the price is a lot less then some others that are 'fully' featured 'tv' plasma screens. Remember you got all the other stuff too and not just a Panny 6series which is a plasma 'monitor'.

4) This you have a claim to be but I've not heard of many people claiming back for wasted time. But GOOD LUCK and I hope you get it. They shafted you over.

Good luck with it.

But in the future look at the products before buying it. When the deal came out I knew it would not be up to par and avoided it like the plague. Got to pay a bit more to get a better image then the Panny.

Koing

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I suspect sticking a TINY label on the front may
    count as assembled in the uk

8. Lawyer237

Lawyer237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Koing, from your comments you are clearly not a lawyer and I am afraid that you apparently do not know what the legal test is and, most clearly, do not understand what damages can and cannot be recovered in an action for breach of contract and/or an action under the Misrepresentation Act 1967. That is fine with me.

I am not here to confront you. I am here to explain what I have found out and to offer some help to people who, unlike me, do not spend their working lives in court, people who perhaps will make the mistake of believing the various nonsensical versions of what their legal rights are that float around these messages boards. If you are not one of them then fine, you do your thing and we will do ours. We need say no more to each other.

9. Lawyer237

Lawyer237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pjclark1,

LOL, yes they may argue that. Indeed I hope they do...there is settled law on the issue and putting a badge on the front would not satisfy the court.

10. BALLISTIX

BALLISTIX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regardless of the quality ONE WOULD EXPECT THE THING TO DO IT'S STATED JOB, whatever inputs are on the TV they should work when connected, end of.
    It's obviously a pile of turd TV and I wish Lawyer237 and anyone else the best of luck.
    Tiny deserves a slapping over this farce and I hope they get one.

Andy.

P.S. Maybe a ring to watchdog would get Tiny's attention.

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I know that one guy has contacted watchdog already and if he references this forum they shoud find it interesting...

12. the f plan

the f plan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Tiny model is PS-42D8 as well ,when i ordered the plasma the advertisement stated contrast 1000-1, but they soon upgraded it to 3000-1 in the press.
    Mine has the horizontal shearing problem which i mentioned in the other thread

13. pmyers

pmyers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...mine was ordered in October and delivered in December - Model PS42D8.

Same problems solarisation (colour seperation) and horizontal sync picture breakup (random splits in picture).

What next? Did anyone get any comment from TINY?

14. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry to sound Dumb, but when I walked into our local Computer Store, or whatever the franchise name is that sells Tiny crap, the big plasma that they had on display (I assume its the same one) had a really crap picture on it.

But it was only £1000 roughly, so I would assume that people who aren't bothered about picture quality are its target market. I don't see how they can have misled you if you saw the picture quality, as it was truly poor.

I have spent many hours looking at plasma's and most of them are poor, the only decent ones I have seen (and I don't claim to be any expert) are Pioneer and Panasonic. And even they only look good with a decent DVD source or Hidef video depending on native resolution. These setups cost a lot more than a thousand pounds, more like a couple of thousand. As with most things in life you gets what you pay for.

If you can get your money back then that will be great as you can save up for a decent display, but please always look before you buy.

Cheers

Rooster-x

15. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well they have built a new factory in the UK to assemble plasma's.

I hope that manufacturing in this country hasn't been reduced to sticking stickers just yet. :(

Cheers,

Rooster-x

16. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I find that a little disturbing, I dont know much about the naming of models but I expect that they would have a different one for a higher spec or is this normal practice for things like this??

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Contrast is dependant on how it is measured..... LG just put the PX11 contrast from 3000:1 to 5000:1

18. AndrewTheMuppet

AndrewTheMuppet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right
    The Tiny plasmas are assembled in the UK.
    They use bought in 3rd or 4th generation glass (remember Panasonic are on 7th generation), and they put it in thier own crappy case with either thier own or someone elses crappy electronics.
    I'm a self employed PC maintenance engineer and it never ceases to amaze me how people buy what is obviously very cheap kit and then start to complain about it.
    I've said this a million times before but here goes again......
    You only get what you pay for.

Buying plasmas is very simple......
    Spend £1700 and get a bloody good screen that will be the envy of your mates.
    Spend £1300 and get a piece of crap that will make you a laughing stock.

Rocket science it ain't !

If all you've got is £1300 to spend, then don't spend it on a plasma. Or save up another £400 - £500 and get something decent.

19. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Said

I agree completely, why anyone would waste over £1000 on rubbish is beyond me, why not save up a little longer and get one that you are gona be impressed by.

20. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the screen is made in the UK then why has the Powerchinese Plasma(which also use the same case and pedestal) have the same model number?

Is this because they forgot to take the sticker off?

I'm no Columbo but surely it's the same screen..

To be honest, unless you know abit about plasmas it is easy to plump for a deal and not realise the benefits of spending the extra 30%.

Good luck to the lawyer...

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    really :censored: helpful, muppet

22. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you never made a bad decision?

23. ajbeech

ajbeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I agree with you MEP, this is not a helpful comment, yet somehow typical of this (and other) forums. My take on this is that Tiny have been saturating the press with some pretty comprehensive and detailed adverts that make their Plasma's sound like they are top-notch and they are bound to generate a lot of interest and sales (their prices are similar to some of the RS Plasma's). Poeple making a purchase based on their adverts dont deserve idiotic comments like those of the muppet and betamac........

24. jpo

jpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a plasma (sob - can't afford one..), my Brother though wants one and keeps looking at Tiny, despite my advice to look elsewhere. I know Tiny from my work in IT and would need a LOT of convincing that stuff like component and build quality, and thereafter customer service, had vastly improved before I would put any of my money their way. Annecdotal evidence here suggests they are happy running along in their old rut!

All that said, if it were not for the likes of Tiny who push the price envelope, companies like Panasonic and Pioneer, with their undoubted quality products, would still be charging us £4K plus for their products. Tiny have quite correctly identified a 'price point' where they feel they can attract significant consumer interest. Sadly, they appear unable to deliver a product of reasonable quality at that price.

Somebody out there will deliver a £1,000 42" display of reasonable quality one day. It's inevitable. While we are waiting for that, you do have to read the reviews, go see these things in operation, chat to others who have them/deal with the companies concerned. Anyone passing through these forums who still feels the need to be parted from their money by Tiny is clearly beyond help!

Peter

25. ksadders

ksadders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Tiny as well.(with same model no.) Don't know if it's significant but I just looked in the back and you can clearly see the main board has 'Samsung' printed on it. :confused:

26. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    thank you AJ, I think warning somebody off is one thing....effectively calling somebody an idiot for having bought one is something entirely different. We all have 20/20 hindsight :)

27. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Peter, you are absolutely right there is now enough bad press on here about Tiny from people like myself who actually did by one and hopefully people reading this will steer well clear.....others who don't own one such as MAW, Hornydragon and Nick UK offer reallyhelpful advice....then there are those who just like to make a point about how clever and fault free they are! :)

28. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    Well if you bought from the net and live in the UK AND you are a lawyer(A good one) youd know that the long distance selling regulations apply and you can return it for any reason you wish(Even because you just dont like it), i think you have 14 or 30 days cant remember which to return it from when your order was delivered to you

EDIT: Oh yea and to andrew, spot on mate, I always get people moaning that there tv's are cr*p or there remotes dont work well..... what do you expect when you spent £20 on a dvd player(Cant remember the brand but never heard of it) and £300 on a 32" goodmans TV

I see the quality and cringe, yet in 98 I spent a grand on a 29" toshiba wide screen and £100 last year on a Toshiba DVD player, im the fussiest of people but I spend loads and reap the rewards, top quality stuff Toshibas, after a Panny Veira 42" when i can afford it

29. stefire27

stefire27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was all ready with card in my hand to buy a Tiny when I came across this forum. Why shouldn't I. £1000 CHEAPER THEN ANY WHERE ELSE, lots of extras. Surely it would be fit for purpose. The advert sells the product, 'Its cheaper because we miss all the middle men out'. They had sold it too me but just as I was about too order it and came across this forum I quickly but my card back in my wallet. I think their is a general lack of information about plasmas unless you research them. I thought when I first looked you plug them in and off you go. Maybe other consumers have the same idea who are not clued up. BUT i would NEVER call the people who purchased from Tiny stupid or naive the product sells it's self if you don't research plasmas and if it wasn't for the fact of this thread their would of been many more people, including me with a Tiny. Thanks all for advice I now have a panosonic viera. Gooid luck.

30. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there is a big problem here with "Equipment Snobs"

Just because you buy your equipment from Tiny does not mean its your own fault if goes wrong.

I find someone saying the following

Buying plasmas is very simple......
    Spend £1700 and get a bloody good screen that will be the envy of your mates.
    Spend £1300 and get a piece of crap that will make you a laughing stock.

Rocket science it ain't !

If all you've got is £1300 to spend, then don't spend it on a plasma. Or save up another £400 - £500 and get something decent.

very snobbish.

Put it this way, if your wife went into Tesco and bought Tescos own brand of beans instead of Heinz and you got food poisoning,

would you say -its my own fault cause I bought the cheap ones?

Get real, some people do not have in excess of £1700 to spend on a screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.