If you have a Philips 36PW9607, could you try a little experiment for me please?

Matthew Attoe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an engineer to come and look at my 9607 sometime tomorrow (Sat 29th July), to investigate my "dirty screen".

The problem I am having is that there seem to be several dark patches on the screen and as images pan across the screen the images get darker, lighter, darker etc as they pass through the various parts of the screen.

I found that if I had a completely black screen, which I achieved my stopping my dvd player and switching to AV1 channel, so that no signal was going to the tv, and then adjusted my brightness level all the way up and then all the way down, I could see these dark patches quite clearly, if you get what I mean. The patches seemed to kind of disappear as the brightness went up, but then the picture was WAY to bright.

Something else that may be relevant to the problem was that I noticed that when I changed picture ratio modes (eg 4:3, 16:9, 14:9 etc) the patches got bigger, smaller, changed position on the screen, etc kind of like the patches were an image on the screen. Hope I'm making sense.

Perhaps you could try the same little experiment for me and post the results here so that I have some more information for the engineer. It may just be that I have a dodgy set, in which case I can get it swapped out for a new one.

I realise it's a bit short notice but I really could do with a little "ammo" for tomorrow.

Is a dirty screen one of the down sides of having a Panny tubes inside the TV? Perhaps the Cybertubes would solve this problem! Are the cybertubes ever going to make it into the 9607?

Thanks for all your help,

Matthew

Mathew - having been one of the first (if not the first) on the forums to own the 9607 ive had it for the best part of 2 months and can honestly say that i havent seen any of these problems on my set.

Sounds to me like it may just be a fault with your tube :(

Spike

I get mine delivered on Tuesday. Be confident that if anything's wrong I'll be straight on here to tell you guys about it.

..i thought you wanted us to help throw it out of the window..;)

Forgive me if you've already tried this but have you eliminated any cross interference issues? To do this unplug all sources (aerial included) except the one you are testing. See how it goes... then if it works try introducing sources until you pinpoint the offender... and then look at cable shielding. I only say this because you mentioned the patches moved. Good luck anyway.

rct:)

I think those dark bands are caused by signals from the HOP leaking into the HIP. In other words, it's got poor internal shielding like all other TV sets.

Well, the engineer has been and gone.

He confirmed the problem, adding that the chances are that all the 9607's are the same. I told him about you guys on here who don't have the problems, and he said (in a nice way) that there was a difference between not having the problem and not having noticed the problem yet.

he was straight on the case back at his base and they are arranging for a swap out as soon as possible.

At least with another set, i can check whether they all do have this problem or not. i'm more inclined to believe you guys, but the engineer was actually quite a nice guy and didn't seem to try and B.S. me or anything.

Awaiting the new set with baited breath.

Matthew

I think this is one of those situations where everybody is correct.

I can see the dark bars on the side s-video input where they are very noticeable. Luckily I don't use that input very much (actually just for setting up recordings onto my E20).

They are not visible on Ext1 (used for DVDplayer); very faintly visible on Ext2 used for Sky, but only if I sit there looking for them; and not visible on Ext 3 and 4.

The problem seems to be variable from set to set and even like mine within a set. If they are bad then I would go for a swap but you may be lucky to get a set where the problem is totally absent. I've decided I can live with mine.

I have the 9607 - I wonder if this is model dependent? Are the big sets more prone than 28" or 32"?

Still think this is the best CRT model available for non-Loewe/B&W prices.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom