If you had to choose one year for great music , what would it be ?

signs

Ex Member
Reaction score
Me , 1984 . I was 18 and donnington was amazing , I did enjoy the grunge of the early 90's but 84 still wins hands down .you ?

Oh it's hard to pick a specific year, but I really started to listening to music properly around 1978 (I was 14/15). It's when I first heard Rush, Hawkwind and early Judas Pries (all massively influential on me)t. Back then at my school you really either listened to Metal or Punk, and I had friends in both camps so I got hear the best of both worlds. So I'd have to pick 1978-80 as we had the punk influence along with some awesome metal as well as the likes of Bowie pushing out what was quite a drab decade music-wise before that. Everything was still quite naive too before the quirkiness of New Wave and Modern Romantics. Good times.

In terms of the music scene it would be either 67', 69' or 71'. Hard to hone it down further.

For me personally, 1980. The NWOBHM was in full flow, I was seeing bands every month and there were still loads of decent rock albums coming out. When you contrast with the truly awful crap that followed it, the NWOBHM was probably the last hurrah of rock, or any decent music come to that, for nearly twenty years.

At the same time, I had a great group of m8's, my first long term girlfriend, and regular weekend partying was the norm.

Sweet times for me.

Easy, 1973. All these albums were out:

Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
Bryan Ferry - These Foolish Things
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
David Bowie - Pinups
Deodato - Deodato 2
Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation
John Lennon - Mind Games
Kool & The Gang - Wild and Peaceful
Loudon Wainwright III - Attempted Mustache
Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Paul McCartney - Band on the Run
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Roxy Music - Stranded
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
The Eagles - Desperado
The Temptations - Masterpiece

Plus many many more...

toss up between 1972 and 1973

Best Albums of 1972 : Best Ever Albums

Best Albums of 1973 : Best Ever Albums

but i think 1972 pips it as miles released on the corner then and james brown had there it is and get on the good foot and stevie wonder had music in my mind and talking book, and marvin gaye had trouble man. plus the dark side of the moon was premiered and most of the great music from 1973 was written and recorded in 1972

toss up between 1972 and 1973...i think 1972 pips it...most of the great music from 1973 was written and recorded in 1972

Just like me: conceived in '72 and released in '73 :D

2009, the year Oasis split up.

1967:

The Doors released their self titled debut, and a few months later their second album Strange Days.
The Velvet Underground released their debut, The Velvet Underground & Nico.

Two of my favourite bands.

Also released that year that I like:
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper
The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks

toss up between 1972 and 1973

Best Albums of 1972 : Best Ever Albums

Best Albums of 1973 : Best Ever Albums

but i think 1972 pips it as miles released on the corner then and james brown had there it is and get on the good foot and stevie wonder had music in my mind and talking book, and marvin gaye had trouble man. plus the dark side of the moon was premiered and most of the great music from 1973 was written and recorded in 1972

Yes, I would expand that to 67-73. Much of the music we hear now has it's roots in those few years. All before my time (I was born in '61) but there is not much pop and rock music that I hear now that I can't hear in music produced then.

Phil

Last edited:
1987 The year I left school and bought myself a hi-fi with my first month's wages. Cd's were about a tenner each and there was loads of places on the high street to buy them.

I must admit though it's costing me a small fortune this year with all these 25th anniversary box sets coming out. :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom