If you had these Two options - which one would you choose ?

RuddyRoad

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there folks...

I'm teetering on the edge of my first plasma purchase (and already have probably got upgraditis), but I'd be interested in what members thought of the following 2 plasma options (ignoring speakers & extended warranties for the moment):

Option 1:

Panasonic 42" PWD6 at £1250
Yamaha DSP-AX750SE A-V Receiver £350
Wall mount £110

Total cost: £1710

The plan would be to run my inputs (Sky box, PS2 and DVD) through the AV receiver, and then a component to VGA lead to the PWD6. The PWD6 VGA input can be changed to read component signals (which you cant do on the inbuilt PW7 panel)

Option 2:

PANASONIC 42" PWD7 with wall mount £1570
Pioneer VSX-C502-S AV Receiver £275
JS Technology RGB to VGA converter £110

Total cost: £1955

With this option the AV would take all the RGB inputs and the use the JS to convert to VGA to use in the VGA terminal on the PWD7.

I'm not an expert on this but I thought Option 1 had the advantages that:

It's cheaper
It's got a better AV receiver
It uses component input all the way which arguably is better than RGB to VGA.

However, with Option 2 I would have the newer panel.

Any thought anyone has on these 2 setups would be appreciated.....as I'm desperate to send my Credit Card into overdrive..!

I would take the 6 series over the 7 series regardless of price, in fact I would pay a little more for it.

Beware your hidden costs. Option 1 ideally requires you to convert Sky to component using a £150 converter. S-Video upconverted by the amp to Component colourspace will not be as good as using the RGB to VGA. So video quality is going to be superior from Sky on option 2.

TBH those look like some daft options to me. First you choose your plasma, 6 series being a bargain. Then you choose the amp, Yamaha being preferred over the Pioneer. THen you (or your retailer) works out how to connect it up best. I would probably go for:

PWD6 + wall mount
Yamaha 750
RGB to VGA to send Sky to VGA port
everything else through the Yamaha (consoles and DVD player)
Therefore getting picture in picture between SKy, and all other sources. (i.e. get football updates while playing PS2, or play PS2 while watching the footy!)

Rmember you still need cables:

VGA
Scart RGB
Component
Audio interconnects
Ideally a component lead for PS2

Liam @ Prog AV said:
Beware your hidden costs. Option 1 ideally requires you to convert Sky to component using a £150 converter. S-Video upconverted by the amp to Component colourspace will not be as good as using the RGB to VGA. So video quality is going to be superior from Sky on option 2.

TBH those look like some daft options to me. First you choose your plasma, 6 series being a bargain. Then you choose the amp, Yamaha being preferred over the Pioneer. THen you (or your retailer) works out how to connect it up best. I would probably go for:

PWD6 + wall mount
Yamaha 750
RGB to VGA to send Sky to VGA port
everything else through the Yamaha (consoles and DVD player)
Therefore getting picture in picture between SKy, and all other sources. (i.e. get football updates while playing PS2, or play PS2 while watching the footy!)

Rmember you still need cables:

VGA
Scart RGB
Component
Audio interconnects
Ideally a component lead for PS2

Liam,

Thanks very much for your reply. You're probably right about the "daft" bit, except that I only really want to have one cable running to the plasma, as the wall I'm putting it on is filled with fire retardant material, meaning I have to rout a channel in it, rather than drop down the back, to hide the cables. With the power lead I only really have room for one more cable. I appreciate this means I have to sacrifice PiP.

The option you describe would also mean the addition of a component or VGA terminal board to the plasma panel, as the Sky would be using the inbuilt one through the JS converter.
This would add to the cost.

Alternatively I could use the Pioneer 402 (£165 !!) or 502 (£275!) which will take 3 x RGB inputs through a Scart lead, meaning I could accommodate Sky, PS2 and DVD, putting the Pioneer RBG out through the JS RGB to VGA converter. The only downsides here are that it would be RGB signals rather than component, and the amp is not nearly so good as the Yamaha for sound, but the upside is cost:

PWD6: £1250
Wall Mount £110 (or £80 for a non-tiliting one)
Pioneer 402 £165
JS RGB > VGA £110

Total £1635

As I mentioned before....I'm a total novice at all of this, my sum knowledge is based on reading this forum over the last few weeks, so I'm happy to be (gently) shot down to pieces.

I more wanted to highlight that you shouldn't prioritise your decisions too much on cost. Using the Pioneer amp rather than Yamaha may simplify cables and save you a bit, but it is the inferior system. You are still getting what you pay for, i.e. pay less and get less.

If single cable run is such a high priority then I recommend:

Wall mount £110
JS RGB to component converter £150

Total £1860

Gets best quality from Sky, better AV amp, and still cheaper than option 2.

Also you are not likely to require a titling mount, spend money saved on decent cabling! Also gives upgrade path for progressive scan DVD since connections are all component.

Liam @ Prog AV said:
I more wanted to highlight that you shouldn't prioritise your decisions too much on cost. Using the Pioneer amp rather than Yamaha may simplify cables and save you a bit, but it is the inferior system. You are still getting what you pay for, i.e. pay less and get less.

If single cable run is such a high priority then I recommend:

Wall mount £110
JS RGB to component converter £150

Total £1860

Gets best quality from Sky, better AV amp, and still cheaper than option 2.

Also you are not likely to require a titling mount, spend money saved on decent cabling! Also gives upgrade path for progressive scan DVD since connections are all component.

Thanks for the info Liam.

I had certainly considered this as an option, and would agree I probably don't need a tilting mount. I think the 750 only has 2 component inputs, although it could be 3. And my last problem would just be that it's not the easiest thing in the world to get a long cable that has component to VGA, although I could get one made up I suppose (or make one myself ???? <g>)

I get the impression that for £350 the Yamaha is a great amp, I was just hoping it might also be kinda good at upconverting from other signals (S-video) for the Sky, but maybe it's not so good at that.....probably too cheap an amp to expect everything!

hornydragon said:
You need to demo the systems mate connectivity is a samll part of the puzzle PQ and Sound Q are the main bits......connectivity comes later.

Oh I'm not too bothered about PQ and SQ, it just has to look nice on the wall.......just kidding. I take your point, but the price point on the PWD6 is so tempting, I was thinking I will just have to fit everything around it. I'm a bit of cheapskate you know !

Cheers.

RuddyRoad said:
I get the impression that for £350 the Yamaha is a great amp, I was just hoping it might also be kinda good at upconverting from other signals (S-video) for the Sky, but maybe it's not so good at that.....probably too cheap an amp to expect everything!

I was hoping to do exactly that myself. Currently got a Yamaha RX-V650 which I mistakenly thought could do s-video to component up conversion. I'm using a RBG-YUV converter by CYP for Sky with my PW7 plasma. I figured I'd be better off upgrading the receiver to the Yam AX-750 and returning the converter, and putting everything through component.

But will the video up-conversion for Sky be worse thru the AX-750 than the converter I've got right now? I know everyone will say the JS converter is better, but the PQ is good enough for me with this cheaper converter - far better than the s-video connection I had before.

Thanks,
Flash

hi ruddy,

well i'm considering this. pw7 with component board and stand as supplied by avsales as a package.

dvd > ntl/sky (depending) > Js rgb to component > amp > pw7

leaves me with an un-attached xbox and a free component socket on amp. apparantly i can soft mod the xbox and get the h/d kit with component connection working. hmmm....

so much money in extras.

checking out the NEC with all the connections you need is tempting, although HD test has certainly given food for thought. looks like i may be watching a portable for a while whilst they take away my crt next week :laugh:

CaptainFlash said:
But will the video up-conversion for Sky be worse thru the AX-750 than the converter I've got right now? I know everyone will say the JS converter is better, but the PQ is good enough for me with this cheaper converter - far better than the s-video connection I had before.

Thanks,
Flash
very unlikely to be worse, if it is send the AMP back.......................... :hiya:

CaptainFlash said:
I was hoping to do exactly that myself. Currently got a Yamaha RX-V650 which I mistakenly thought could do s-video to component up conversion. I'm using a RBG-YUV converter by CYP for Sky with my PW7 plasma. I figured I'd be better off upgrading the receiver to the Yam AX-750 and returning the converter, and putting everything through component.

Thanks,
Flash

I read in a review that the upconversion isn't as good as you might get from a £1000+ model (which I guess is fair enough). I suppose you might expect it to be better than your CYP converter, but one of the issues is how to get the Sky (RGB) into the AX-750, as I think it only has composite and component inputs for video. If you add on a JS RGB to YUV converter, ther price goes up a bit more.........decisions, decisions.

I thunk I might end up tossing a coin !

Vipen said:
hi ruddy,

well i'm considering this. pw7 with component board and stand as supplied by avsales as a package.

dvd > ntl/sky (depending) > Js rgb to component > amp > pw7

leaves me with an un-attached xbox and a free component socket on amp. apparantly i can soft mod the xbox and get the h/d kit with component connection working. hmmm....

so much money in extras.

checking out the NEC with all the connections you need is tempting, although HD test has certainly given food for thought. looks like i may be watching a portable for a while whilst they take away my crt next week :laugh:

The PWD7 has just been reduced in price at AV-sales to £1514, with a mount but with no extra terminal boards chucked in.....this has made me think about whether to get the PWD6 for £1249 +£80 for a mount, or to go with this new discounted offer.

While this is all very stressful, I 'm kinda glad I'm not in the Tiny Hell situation (without being smug).

RuddyRoad said:
I read in a review that the upconversion isn't as good as you might get from a £1000+ model (which I guess is fair enough). I suppose you might expect it to be better than your CYP converter, but one of the issues is how to get the Sky (RGB) into the AX-750, as I think it only has composite and component inputs for video. If you add on a JS RGB to YUV converter, ther price goes up a bit more.........decisions, decisions.

My head's been spinning all week weighing up connectivity/quality/cost. Today I took the Yam 650 back to RS but decided against the 750 and went for the budget-priced Pioneer 301. Well why not I thought, all my components (Sky/DVD/XBox) have SCARTs, so they all go into the box, and my RGB-YUV converter sends the video to the screen as component.

After 7 days of going through every option, and really testing the patience of RS I've finally got a solution I'm happy with. Excellent picture and audio quality for reasonable budget - which was at one point in danger of spiralling out of control!

And hats off to Richer Sounds at Prestwich, they've been very polite and patient with me, and happy to exchange things without a quibble. :thumbsup:

Captain Flash
After 7 days of going through every option, and really testing the patience of RS I've finally got a solution I'm happy with. Excellent picture and audio quality for reasonable budget - which was at one point in danger of spiralling out of control!
He he

It's quite funny reading that, as I seem to be doing exactly the same thing.....one minute I'm looking for the cheapest way to get a reasonable system, and before you know it I am starting to look at £1000 amps and 50" screens....it's a bit like being in a Sweetie shop as a child and told you only have one chance to pick what you want ! :suicide:

hornydragon said:
So what was it you went for in the END?

If it was directed at me hornydragon, I've now got:

Amstrad Sky digibox, RGB SCART out
(Old-ish) JVC DVD player, RGB SCART out and 5.1. audio co-ax out
XBox (with modchip), RGB SCART out and 5.1 audio optical out

all going into:
Pioneer 301 AV receiver (3 SCART in). SCART out goes to my RGB-YUV converter --> TH37PW7 component in.

That's my spending done for now, but I can see myself changing the converter for RGB-VGA before long. It's been a hassle figuring out the best combination and connectivity - but then that's part of the fun isn't it? :)

Hello everyone,

I think I read somewhere that when using the rgb vga option you lose control of colours but not aspect ratio. I am just wondering does this mean that you can no longer adjust the colour settings on the screen??
If so, is colour adjustment not necessary to obtain a nice picture using the rgb vga connection then?

Oh yes, one more query, will you lose the progressive scan abilities of ur dvd player if you connect using : dvd(prog scan) to amp to via rgb vga to plasma??

Sorry if my questions are silly (very new to this) but all this connectivity issue is doing me head in and i seem more confuse the more I read!!

cheers

plasmosis said:
Hello everyone,

I think I read somewhere that when using the rgb vga option you lose control of colours but not aspect ratio. I am just wondering does this mean that you can no longer adjust the colour settings on the screen??
If so, is colour adjustment not necessary to obtain a nice picture using the rgb vga connection then?
not really just need the right settings.....
plasmosis said:
Oh yes, one more query, will you lose the progressive scan abilities of ur dvd player if you connect using : dvd(prog scan) to amp to via rgb vga to plasma??

Sorry if my questions are silly (very new to this) but all this connectivity issue is doing me head in and i seem more confuse the more I read!!

cheers
YES need component input for Prog scan but the benefit of a Progscan DVD player, is only there if the De-interlacer in the DVD player is better than the one in the display device

So is there a difference between the 6 series and 7 series? There seems to be so many conflicting reports. Doesn't really matter to me as I already bought the 6th series from rs but just interested to know

Thanks for the info Hornydragon. Just need to clarify some of the answers. For the first question about the colour settings, when you say 'needs the right setting' does that mean that I can still adjust colours via the rgb vga option to get a nice picture?

The other thing is since the rgb vga input method seems highly recommended by forum members, the panny prog scan interlacing abilities are better than most prog scan dvd players?

gettin there slowly...

mark.king,

not an expert here myself but I think I read that the rgb vga connection will not work for the panny 7. But the panny 7 is I think more resistant to burn in.

Hope this helps. Anyone feel free to correct me if i am wrong.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom