• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

If you had the choice, onkyo606 or Yam-763

gromero

Established Member
So I'm finally going to get myself an av amp today. I've been reading and reading and reading this last two week's. I originally decided on the Onkyo 576 because of its cheap price, but I started to worry about the quality of the components a bit. So I upped my budget a bit and started to look at the Yamaha AX763, which recently got av receiver of the year for under £500 in what hifi.
The reason I decided on this was because of Yamaha's reputation for using quality components that produce quality sounds. The 763 has Burr-Brown DACS, something you will only find on an onkyo above £700.

So I was settled on getting the Yamaha, until I soon realised nowhere has any stock. I've phoned a few places and been offered the Onkyo 606 at the same price as the Yamaha.
I like the extra HDMI inputs the 606 has, but is the sound as good and are the components used of equal quality to that of the Yamaha? (no Burr-browns here).

What would you do. What Hifi were very impressed with the Yamaha and would choose that over the 606, but I'd like more opinions from real home users of these amps.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Steeve24

Established Member
Like you I was looking at the 606 & 763 (as well as others) I decided to go for the 763, but then again I could find it in stock! (early December), as for finding one, it seems others have had problems getting one as well, I'm just glad I got mine when I did (£280 from Richer Sounds :))

I'm well impressed and currently only running it on two speakers, looking forward to when I get a decent 5.1 setup.

If it was me I would wait for the 763 to become available, seems to have better reviews than the 606 and defiantly looks better IMO

gromero

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I keep thinking I've made my mind up, then I look again and change my mind again. Both have good and bad points.
Like so many others with £300 to spend I'll also have to seriously consider the Denon 1909, if I could find a black one somewhere haha.

Both the Onkyo and Denon beat the Yamaha for spec. slightly, but for some reason I trust Yamaha more and believe it will sound better, I think Yamaha pride themselves on making quality equipment with quality components.
I've found a 763 that I can collect tomorrow, but I'll probably change my mind 5 times before then!!

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
I've found a 763 that I can collect tomorrow, but I'll probably change my mind 5 times before then!!

Where was that and for how much?

Personally. i'd go for the yamaha. It has preouts which gives you the provisions to add a integrated amp if you want to (which i planned to do). The 1909 and 606 don't.
Also, the 606 runs hot, doesn't sound as good musically and is not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes

Steeve24

Established Member
Yeah, the Onkyo was better on paper, but after reading about some people having (over)heating issues, and really not liking the look of it I discounted it.

At the time I wasn't looking at the Denon, don't know why, maybe it was too expensive (the Yamaha was a steal at £280, especially given 'What HiFi' said it was a great deal at £400). The other amp I looked at was the Sony 820, but the Yamaha had more inputs that I wanted Optical/Coax/Analog, plus pre-outs (what ever they do!?!) (answered in the all to quick previous post!) , I lost the FM radio, but hoping to get a DAB when the prices are senseable (got an old S/H Denon FM for the mean time) and the extra HDMI in, but as I've no HDMI at the moment I'll worry about that later.

Last edited:

gromero

Established Member
That's two +ves for the Yamaha then :thumbsup:

Don Dadda, the place I'm getting the 763 from only has one left. If they had more stock of course I would have let you know. Good luck finding one!

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
That's two +ves for the Yamaha then :thumbsup:

Don Dadda, the place I'm getting the 763 from only has one left. If they had more stock of course I would have let you know. Good luck finding one!

No worries mate, I can wait.

It's only a week till feb and then how ever long it will take to re-stock the shops. Just hope the prices are still the same

Enjoy your purchase. :smashin:

Oh, and Steeve24, how quick was your response after mine? 4 mins. LOL. :)
And as for the yamaha not having a Tuner, you are probably better of with your ext tuner. I found that the ext tuners are better when it comes to sound quality than the built in ones, and more precise in finding those little stations who are still waiting for their license to be approved.;)

Steeve24

Established Member
Oh, and Steeve24, how quick was your response after mine? 4 mins. LOL. :)
And as for the yamaha not having a Tuner, you are probably better of with your ext tuner. I found that the ext tuners are better when it comes to sound quality than the built in ones, and more precise in finding those little stations who are still waiting for their license to be approved.;)

Yeah, the Denon 260II I got (ebay for £30 delivered) is great, and it enables me to upgrade to DAB without having a builtin tuner & an external one as well.

ChrisAV

Established Member
I went for the Yamaha too (took the last out of the Liverpool Richer sounds in October for £300) - only downside is it only has 2 HDMI in's but it does have 3 component ins and 3 opticals (fully assignable), upconverts, and on the rare occasion I listen to radio I get that from my Virgin V+ box. Oh, and it sounds pretty damn good too! :D

Chris

ChrisAV

Established Member
:( stock discrepency, no one has them in stock at a reasonable price.

guess i'll have to sit and wait!

Get yourself on a waiting list - the last thing you want is for stock to come in and it's all been allocated to back orders.

Chris

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Wahey!! Picked up a 763 from Richersounds, Bromley which was the last in the shop on display. Probably the last in London or even RS UK. I was just passing and by sheer chance, i saw it on display, so there was no time to waste :D Got it with a discount and 5yr warranty for £300. :smashin:

Just need to get a TV and my setup is complete. :thumbsup:

gromero

Established Member
Good work.
I walk passed a RS every day on my way home from work, I’ve been in there several times to check on stock and to ask about the display model, and they have always said they wouldn’t sell it until the item had been discontinued.
Low and behold, I went in there on Monday evening and they had sold the display model over the weekend. Obviously I gave them the evil stare because I had previously asked about it.
So perhaps they have just been instructed recently that they can sell the display models off.
I’m going to check some other stores!!

anyway, enjoy, let me know how it sounds!

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
I can't put down what i want to say about that as i've already been told about swearing, but you can imaging what words i have for it.:mad:

Steeve24

Established Member
Could just be that having a demo unit of a product you can't supply was a bit daft, sell the demos get some cash, make a new demo once the amps back in stock, and by the shortages people have been seeing that could be quite a while.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom