If you had a spare 10k how would you save or invest it?

Saggy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having been made redundant, and now re employed I find myself with a small pot of spare £££ to save/invest.

Not being up to speed wit having options, thought I would get your thoughts.

Cheers

Premium Bonds?

Can always get them out again if needed, and while they're there they could win you some money.

I like premium bonds, there maybe better investments but I like the 'fit and forget' nature of pb, can't really lose (aside from interest) and you've got that chance to get lucky. I'd also suggest £10k is a out the sweet spot for pb.

Home extension if possible. Spend the £10-15k extending the back and you'll see a return of £25K when home is revalued sometime next year.

I've just started making plans for a home cinema room which is gonna cost just short of this .

Never had the idea before joining these forums , but after seeing some of the fantastic rooms on here I have to do it .( wife don't agree , but new hand bag and she will be fine .

I'd go for that mate .

Another vote for premium bonds, very accessible and good chance if a small win or two each year with that amount

Another vote for premium bonds, very accessible and good chance if a small win or two each year with that amount

If you can afford it as well do what I've done and set up a direct debit fur the minimum £50 purchase every month. You don't really notice it and your pot builds up as a little nest egg every year

If you can afford it as well do what I've done and set up a direct debit fur the minimum £50 purchase every month. You don't really notice it and your pot builds up as a little nest egg every year

On a more serious note pb are more than likely your best bet .

Pay down any mortgage capital so ease the pain when rates start rising?

Pay down the mortgage , or keep it in a isa as an emergency stash.
If you fancy a whirl do a buy to let with it , property prices are likely to rise.

If you fancy a whirl do a buy to let with it , property prices are likely to rise.

Th

That's what I'd do. Buy a crappy house and do it up for sale/let. You'd probably need a bit more cash though.

Last edited:
Home extension if possible. Spend the £10-15k extending the back and you'll see a return of £25K when home is revalued sometime next year.

Yup that's what we did although a 15k conservatory we spent extra into making it into an extra room and has added almost 10k to the house .

LOL! It would have to be a reealy crappy buy-to-let that went for sale at £10K!

LOL! It would have to be a reealy crappy buy-to-let that went for sale at £10K!

Deposit and a mortgage...if you are not sure what either of those are , google is your friend . LOL!!

If you have a mortgage the best thing you could do is pay some if that off whilst the interest rates are still low.
10k now will save you a fortune down the line .!

If you have a mortgage the best thing you could do is pay some if that off whilst the interest rates are still low.
10k now will save you a fortune down the line .!

If you are on a variable rate then paying it off while the rates are low is presumably not very effective use of it. E.g. You can get 3% on it in a current account.

It all depends on... absolutely loads of things what the 'best' thing to do with it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom