1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you had ~2.5k what system would you put together

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DeeeBee, Dec 30, 2004.

1. DeeeBee

DeeeBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have an empty room.

A 'flexible' budget of 2.5k.

What system would you guys put together on this budget.

I have already auditioned a:

naim cd5i/nait5/ariva

rega planet/cursa/maia/dynaudio

switched speakers etc. Must say I was v. impressed with the naim which I wasn't expecting to be.

But I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys would put together for this budget.......

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would add also something like Sonneteer Alabaster amp and matching CD player into dynaudio or B&W speakers,both Rega with Totem speakers or thier own would be good,would never buy Naim myself as it would be a never ending upgrading merry go round.Also look at the underrated Creek/Epos or Exposure aswell.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Exposure3010/Monitor Audio silvers would be high on my list. As would rega matched with either Tannoy eysis or Rega ela's.

Of course, with that money second hand I'd go for any cheap, new, DVD player (>£100)/Chord DAC 64. (£1100) Exposure 3010 Int/Power (£700) PMC FB1 (£700+)
    Should be pretty hard to beat IMHO. ;)

4. DeeeBee

DeeeBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some intersting ideas guys. I'm off to audition some more today

roksan kandy, cyrus and musical fidelity x-ray etc.

Both of you seem to like Rega kit but when I listened it just sounded to imprecise compared to the naim kit which sounded crystal clear. I'll see how it goes today and post back what I find.

5. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know what I'd get but it would be entirely British (maybe Naim, as I used to live in Salisbury - Naimville), possibly even entirely Scottish: Linn, Art speakers...?!

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi DeeeBee,
    Rega make some very good CD Players but the amps tend to let them down a bit.
    Exposure was founded by an ex Naim person (though the name eludes me!).
    I have nothing against Naim but I find it very difficult to live with. The precise sound becomes a bit wearing after a while.
    Still, Naim and Shahinian sound fantastic together but the look is terrible....:)

7. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I had that much money to spend I'd get a nice turntable like a gyro, good stand, decent cartridge, phono stage, maybe some crimson monoblocks and I don't really know which speakers off the top of my head - I'd have to audition a few, although I like KEFs.

I'd make sure I left several hundred pounds for buying a shedload of new vinyl to go with it as well. My current failing is spending too much on the kit and not enough on music - something I plan to remedy starting tomorrow. No new hardware for a year (will I manage it?!)

8. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would spend half the budget on Speakers. Something like Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mk2. then a high current amp from a company with a good engineering background like ARCAM. an A85 can be pcked up for about 500 ex-demo. The cd again from Arcam, a CD92 can be had for about 500 to 600 ex-demo. then 40-60 quid for cables.

9. DeeeBee

DeeeBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Exposure always seems to come up but I'm finding it difficult to find anywhere to audition the kit in Hampshire. Hampshire Audio was the only one and thats closed down.

Agree about the Naim looks not totally sold. But the sound was, as you say, precise. Although not as precise as the older naim kit. Toned down a tad i'd say ;)

I have an old rega planar 2 which I will be hooking up to it charlaph. Want to see if I still get on with vinyl before investing more in that area.

Anyone else got any suggestions? What about the musical fidelity & cyrus kit that I'm auditioning today?

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    DeeBee,

I would consider the following....

CD: Audio Analogue Paganini MkII - £895 - beautiful, beguiling and built.

Amp: Primare A30.1 - £1295 - once again, looks, performance and build quality in spades.

Speakers: Tannoy Sensys DC1 - £400 - superb value for money, neutral, and unfatiguing. Ubiquitous, but good all the same. Epos M12.2 (£450) are also worth considering if the mid-range is most important to you.

Total £2.6k, not including stands & cables. Going ex-dem should save you around £600, which should be enough to cover the cost of these.

Overall sound should be on the warmer side of neutral.

DT

11. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My brother has an all-cyrus setup, which is geared toward home cinema but sounds fantastic. I couldn't tell you specifically what he bought, but together with his monitor audio speakers and REL sub the whole lot set him back almost £7k - and the worst thing was that when I heard it I thought it was worth it!!

So yeah, I'd have no qualms about spending serious money on Cyrus now I've heard what they can do. Very impressive, and very upgradeable. He didn't even have the seperate power supplies on all of his kit, so it can continue to get better and better.

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Cyrus 8vs & CD8x and it sounds stunning teamed with the PSXR's best sound i have heard for a long time in Hi Fi, I know it takes you close to the 2.5k but i am sure you will like it, the only problem is it does not leave much left for speakers :rolleyes:

John

13. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    ~2.5K ?

that'll be:

naim cd5i
    PMC OB1/GB1/FB1 (well you said be flexible :) )
    Affordable Valve Company KT88 valve amp single ended

Chord Co cabling

14. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chuffed to bits with my cyrus gear.

15. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go s/h with

• Linn KARIK CD Player £500
    • Linn KAIRN Pre-Amp £500
    • 3 x Linn LK100 amps £600
    • Linn Keilidhs Speakers £300
    Total £1900

When new this cost over £6k.

I actually bought the above kit a few years back & found it superior to new setups for same money.

16. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Radfords in Bath/Bristol are both stockists of Exposure. Whether or not that's too far to travel or not I don't know?

17. DeeeBee

DeeeBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bath is within striking distance of me, just (be a day trip ;) )

I appreciate all the responses.

I have one question about second hand kit. How do you audition it?

I am looking for a complete setup so unless I know what all the pieces sound like I might be unpleasantly surprised when I get all the bits together. When I upgrade for the first time I might well go for a second hand piece of kit ( a DAC for example) but this time buying new means I can try the whole system as it will be in my room (except the room will be different obviously :suicide: )

Anyway, just auditioned the cyrus cd8x/8vs Vs. MF x-ray v3/x-150 Vs. Roksan Kandy mkIII

Speaker wise tried AE aelite III, B&W DM603 s3, Monitor Audio Silver s6, & gold ref 10.

To cut a long story short the only combo that mad me smile was the MF/B&W one. The sound was great, not as precise as the naim but I think that was what made it better. It made the naim seem a little jarring.

Taking a couple of days to think it over, maybe a trip to bath is in order.... :rolleyes:

18. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S/H would offer much better VFM,especially speakers,for example for the same price as new B&W 603 you could get some older B&W 803 matrix,will be so much better than the 603/703,I saw some on pj hifi site for about £600,they look dated,but are superb sounding.

You can save on amps too,I would just aviod S/H cd players,you can build a far greater system with careful buying.

19. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an all Naim system, humble by their standards but it just sounds nice in my opinion.

One nice thing with the Naim stuff is that it holds its value very well and makes an excellent second hand purchase - buy shrewdly and you'll recoup a lot of what you paid.

If you're still considering Naim in general, perhaps try their forum and see what people suggest.

20. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you wish to pursue the Naim Route go to

www.tomtomaudio.co.uk

seems like a good place to start for S/H VFM - no connection to them, never used them, but this is where I would start looking. :)

Paul

21. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    My humble suggestion would be to go to some good hifi dealers and tell them that you have GBP1.8K to spend and let them recommend setups. "Good" HiFi shops should have owners and shop floor guys who are really into the whole sonic thing, and should in theory stock components that complement each other. Take your music, sit down and spend time swapping, changing, adding, taking away etc., until you are happy they have the combo that really sings (to your ears, not theirs) - do this at a few places that stock different ranges of stuff and see what you think...

Why 1.8?? Because every dealer worth his salt will try the "if you like this you should listen to this.." line :D , which will always push the budget up a little at a time - and who knows, maybe spending more won't give you any more than you want....

Happy hunting

22. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +376
    Hi DeeeBee

A great store in Hampshire is Phonography in ringwood - www.phonography.co.uk -

Have a chat with Phil and you'll get some very good advice, warm reception, and the coffee is pretty good also!

Have listen to some of the Densen kit there as it may be to your taste - something of the Naim sound with bit more warmth.

Regards

Martin

23. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Nice to see someone else stocking Densen :smashin:

24. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Are they the same as "Denson", Knightshade :p ?

25. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Agree with the Cyrus kit The 8VS Amp and the 8x CD player with PSXR I just auditioned today along with a pair of Monitor Audio GR60's and I have never heard anything like it.... Well worth an extended listen. Have to say the guys at Sevenoaks here in Bedford have been great.... You need patience when dealing with me.

26. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I was starting fresh with your budget, I would definately not rule out:

Roksan caspian Cd player ~£1000
    Cyrus 8x amp/Roksan caspian amp ~£800/£1000

With the remaining, you should be able to pick up something like the Monitor S8's.

Hasten to add I don't own any of the above but have heard these and each can produce good results. :)

27. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Audio Analogue Paganini
    Sugden A21
    Quad ELS

Throw in some decent stands and forget about the world whilst you enjoy the music

28. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Thats a beautiful system there....if the ESL's are refurbished by One Thing Audio,and with their stands.....they can still beat a huge number of vastly more expensive modern ones...as you know,I've got a pair of these,and both Quad IIs and 300b triodes to run them....beautiful,smooth and fast.

29. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well spotted.....:rotfl:

30. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    £2500 Well I you can buy a lot of hifi for that these days, Hifibitz are currently doing a promotion on the NAD Silverline range so I would base my system around a :

NAD Silverline S300 integrated amplifer : £680 (Not bad for an amp based on the Gryphon Taboo)
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3914

NAD S570 Multiregion DVD Player – PAL Prog (used as a CD transport) : £435
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3902
    To be

More NAD silverline stuff here including a very tasty 5Ch PA for £680 :
    http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/searchresults.asp?searchstring=NAD Silver&pagesize=30

That would leave me £1385 for :

B+W Nautilis 805s : £999 Brand New from :
    http://www.lintone.co.uk/used_speakers.htm
    Or a set of Castle Conways, Harlechs, Dynaudio 1.8 Mk IIs, Jamo Concert 11s if you really crave bass. Or if you fancy the standmount option, hows about Dynaudio Contour 1.3s, Jamo Concert 8s, Sonus Faber Signums with a £300 Active sub bolted on.

£386 OK make up the £14 and you could secure a TAG DAC 20 for £400, or many other nice sounding DACs (Meridian, Per Pet Tech, MF) for that price

Cables : CAT5 : £1.14 per metre (yes seriously) and £15 on a set of ICs (yes seriously).

OK just about £30 over budget.

Howzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzat !!!

Or hows about a AV system that’s got a good foot in the stereo camp, AV32R - £700 – NAD Silverline 5Ch PA £700 – Castle Compact 5.1 speaker system £1000 - £2400.

Loads of options.