1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you had £2000 which projector/screen would you buy?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jmbrailsford, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If you had £2000 give or take a couple of hundred £'s what projector and screen would you go for.

Any deals, help, info greatly appreciated.

I want a projector that's bright and the best quality pic I can get for that price, I have demo'd the Sharp XV-Z200 which was ok but not brilliant ( not that I can compare it with anything else as projector demos are hard to come by in Scotland ).

DLP seems to be the way to go, or is it?

HDMI or DVI with HDCP compatibility essential as well as maybe RGB scart for Sky+ connection.

:lease:

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Now the Sim 2 Domino 18 has come down to £2295, that's just about in your reach.
    You won't find better picture quality at that price point.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. stauDLP

stauDLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp XVZ200 is selling at about 2200€, (1500£): why should I buy Sim2?
    Contrast seems better in Sharp (2000 vs 1800)

Thanks in advance
    :hiya:

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The optics are better on the Sim2 and you have powered zoom and focus and 6000 hour lamp life. In the UK Sim2 UK Ltd give a 1 year or 3000hr warranty on the lamp (longer than the lamp lasts in most other projectors) whichever comes first.
    I wouldn't read too much into contrast figures. Manufacturers figures should always to be taken with a pinch of salt.

5. stauDLP

stauDLP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Jeff,
    where and how could we appreciate optics?
    :)

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    stauDLP

Where: In our dem room

How: By looking at the image. The Fujinon all glass, high contrast, high resolution coated optics used in the Domino and Grand Cinema ranges have superb performance. If you go close to the screen, the mirrors are sharp right into the corners and edges of the image.

7. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I think manufactures contrast figures should be banned.

Totally misleading.

I'd go for the Sim for sure. Amazing machine for the money. The warrently on the bulb is worth it alone.

8. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The size of your room will have a bearing in potential candidates too. I had to revise my initial plan of going for a Screenplay 5700 as it would not fill the screen in my room. I ended up opting for the 7200 model that had a throw range which enabled it to fill my screen to the edges where the 5700 left around an inch or so on the left and right edges. The moral of the story being to get your measurements spot on to avoid disappointment, I was lucky as the installer was happy to swap PJs for me.
    My next house will definitely have to have a bigger living room so I can widen the choice of PJs available to me ;)

9. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Thanks for the info guys, the only drawback I can see with the Sim2 is the lack of high def connections, which is a pity as like you say Jeff the 6000hr lamp life and warranty make this a great deal.

I am still thinking about the Screenplay 5700, the Optoma H30A and the H57 having ruled out the Infocus 4805 due to the smaller resoution.

:cool:

10. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got a Screenplay 5700 just before christmas to replace my aged and dying Sanyo PLV30, and it is an excellent machine, lots more light, and with the DVI connection, a much crisper picture.

11. jwm15

jwm15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously consider the H57. I looked at a wide range of PJs and ultimately settled on it. People rave about the Sims but I feel they are overpriced. I auditioned a Domino 20 for an extended period and was underwhelmed (yes, it was calibrated properly, etc., etc.) For the money, the H57 is a steal -- 3 year hot swap warranty, HDMI/DVI connectivity with HD compatability (though not HD res) and, if you shop around, you can get it for less than £1,700. I've had mine since November and love it.

At the end of the day, though, the best PJ is the one that looks best to you. Make sure you see them live.

-- J

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I`ll second the H57, at its price it a steal. Very good picture.
    I used to have a H56 that at the time and price bracket was only flawed by the sim2 Domino 20.

Jeff is right about the sim2 optics and processing, they are top notch which do put them ahead of the optomas but having seen the H57 i think i would buy it if i was after a low cost PJ. Oh and its the quietest PJ ive put an ear to. not silent but near as your gonna get for an air forced unit

heres a link for a good deal

http://www.audiovisiononline.co.uk/erol.html#1x0&&

great service from neil as well

In fact why not stretch for the H77. £3395 with free replacement bulb(£395 on its own) free ceiling mount (£150) and a half price screen. Now thats a deal and a 720p HD PJ as well