• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

If you don't have tactile transducers your system is lacking

Texasjack

Banned
It's as simple as that. I would rather have a low / mid range home theater with transducers than a extremely high end home theater without. They are a true game changer. Best upgrade I ever made.

Dolus

It's as simple as that. I would rather have a low / mid range home theater with transducers than a extremely high end home theater without. They are a true game changer. Best upgrade I ever made.

I pretty much agree with all that. Set up correctly they underpin the bass from the sub and make seem as you have much more powerful sub. :D

The downside is that it isn't free and the Buttkicker LFE kit (transducer+amp+accessories) cost nearly as much as adding another Monolith+ sub. (which I have since done:))

Texasjack

Banned
I pretty much agree with all that. Set up correctly they underpin the bass from the sub and make seem as you have much more powerful sub. :D

The downside is that it isn't free and the Buttkicker LFE kit (transducer+amp+accessories) cost nearly as much as adding another Monolith+ sub. (which I have since done:))
It does cost some to set up correctly but in my opinion no sub can come close. Just not possible.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
It does cost some to set up correctly but in my opinion no sub can come close. Just not possible.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. An IB system with multiple 18" subs is a bit special. ;)

I would agree however for the majority in a living room setup transducers certainly have a place if you love the feeling of tactile bass and want bang for buck or noise levels are a concern.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I was going to get a BK LFE earlier this year, but got sidetracked buying another guitar instead. :) However, with 4 subs in my room I find I get plenty of sofa shaking, especially on films like Oblivion with space craft taking off, etc. I remember after I set it up and we watched a few films, my son asked if I'd installed something to make the seats shake.

I'll probably get round to it at some point (unless I see another guitar :blush:), but listening at decent levels gives me plenty of tactile effect that I don't feel my system is lacking, but then I've got plenty of output down to 10Hz only rolling off below that.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I like my acoustic transducers and you don't need to spend a fortune. I have a pair of 50W thumpers mounted to 18mm MDF screwed to the bottom of the sofa and a similar single in each chair. These are all powered from a Behringer A500, so not a huge amount of welly needed to get the sofa moving!! Mine is paired to a single semi-ported 10" 500W sub in a custom enclosure run off another A500 and it is powerful enough to knock over pictures on the window sill!

Who doesn't love some trouser flapping, really tight powerful bass :) :)

Texasjack

Banned
I was going to get a BK LFE earlier this year, but got sidetracked buying another guitar instead. :) However, with 4 subs in my room I find I get plenty of sofa shaking, especially on films like Oblivion with space craft taking off, etc. I remember after I set it up and we watched a few films, my son asked if I'd installed something to make the seats shake.

I'll probably get round to it at some point (unless I see another guitar :blush:), but listening at decent levels gives me plenty of tactile effect that I don't feel my system is lacking, but then I've got plenty of output down to 10Hz only rolling off below that.
We have 4 15" subs in out theatres room, they sound amazing. Still nothing compared to the transducers though, not even close. Make the upgrade, you will be very glad you did!

Texasjack

Banned
I wouldn't be too sure about that. An IB system with multiple 18" subs is a bit special. ;)

I would agree however for the majority in a living room setup transducers certainly have a place if you love the feeling of tactile bass and want bang for buck or noise levels are a concern.
We have 4 15" subs that sound wonderful. Transducers still hit way harder though. Really, they're a game changer.

Texasjack

Banned

Also they sell some Aura (something named like that) transducers on Amazon for $60 each. My friend has a few of those powered by a couple cheap 100w amps and they work great.

puneet83

I finally installed one of three Buttkicker LFEs I bought on a recent trip to to the US. I've installed it inside the couch, as recommended, and not on one of the feet. The wife didn't see the need for it as the living room has already got 4xSI18 DIY subs and 4x12" NFE behind the MLP (yes, I've got a very accommodating wife!;)). However, I must admit the jump in tactile effect is more than I expected. The combination of all needs to be held back as we both start to worry about the room on bass heavy scenes. I'm sure it's all fine, but the mind does get distracted.

The other two LFEs are going under the bed as the part of the bedroom cinema I've started on. This combined with 4xFi IB18s going in the loft space should be interesting in a sub 1200cu.ft bedroom!!:thumbsup:

Texasjack

Banned
I finally installed one of three Buttkicker LFEs I bought on a recent trip to to the US. I've installed it inside the couch, as recommended, and not on one of the feet. The wife didn't see the need for it as the living room has already got 4xSI18 DIY subs and 4x12" NFE behind the MLP (yes, I've got a very accommodating wife!;)). However, I must admit the jump in tactile effect is more than I expected. The combination of all needs to be held back as we both start to worry about the room on bass heavy scenes. I'm sure it's all fine, but the mind does get distracted.

The other two LFEs are going under the bed as the part of the bedroom cinema I've started on. This combined with 4xFi IB18s going in the loft space should be interesting in a sub 1200cu.ft bedroom!!:thumbsup:
And I thought I overdid it with my 4 x 15" subs and transducers! Yes, they are very cool and once properly setup they became my favorite part of my system. What really impresses me is the fact that the tactile effects feel like they are coming from the TV or subs. They don't feel like something implanted in your seats.

repeat

And I thought I overdid it with my 4 x 15" subs and transducers! Yes, they are very cool and once properly setup they became my favorite part of my system. What really impresses me is the fact that the tactile effects feel like they are coming from the TV or subs. They don't feel like something implanted in your seats.
So what specifically do you need to get started? I have an AVR and MiniDSP HD. A 4 seater sofa. What would I need? I had a look on the Buttkicker website but still want sure. TIA.

BriD

So you're literally bolting 100w vibrators to your bed? Good work.

puneet83

So you're literally bolting 100w vibrators to your bed? Good work.

LFE is a 750W transducer. One may be fine, but I suspect the thick mattress may absorb a lot of the tactile sensation, so thought of going for two. The savings in getting them straight from the US was worth getting a spare. :)

Dolus

So what specifically do you need to get started? I have an AVR and MiniDSP HD. A 4 seater sofa. What would I need? I had a look on the Buttkicker website but still want sure. TIA.

You need a tactile transducer and an amp to drive it, and any additional cables.

The connection is the same as a subwoofer, except the sub amp and driver are in one box while the transducer and amp are separate.

(Sub out on AVR) to (input on subwoofer) to (subwoofer driver)
(Sub out on AVR) to (input on amp) to (amp out to input on transducer)

Furnace Inferno

Personally I’m not too fussed about loads of vibrational tactile feedback so buttkickers wouldn’t add anything for me, it’s the room pressurisation I want.

I do have a couple attached to my driving sim rig though with telemetry based feedback for bumps, rpm and gear shift kicks. There it is almost required because you’d expect when your sat in a car (especially in VR) that it would be giving off a lot of tactile feedback.

repeat

You need a tactile transducer and an amp to drive it, and any additional cables.

The connection is the same as a subwoofer, except the sub amp and driver are in one box while the transducer and amp are separate.

(Sub out on AVR) to (input on subwoofer) to (subwoofer driver)
(Sub out on AVR) to (input on amp) to (amp out to input on transducer)
Thanks!

DodgeTheViper

I’d suggest that it’s a matter of personal taste.

I know that it’s not something for me and my system isn’t ‘lacking’

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Personally I hated the buttkicker I had, my subs give me plenty of tactile response and feel much more natural in the process.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I’d suggest that it’s a matter of personal taste.

I know that it’s not something for me and my system isn’t ‘lacking’

How do you know if you’ve not tried them? I agree with op, they definitely enhance the bass of a system. Set up right they underpin the subwoofer and are indistinguishable from it. Most people don’t have subwoofers that can play down to 5hz, so unless you do without transducers you are missing out.

I have a pair of very good subwoofers but still appreciate the transducers.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom