If you could live anywhere? Where and why?

I'm fine where I am, but if I could live in any house, it would have to be Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water in Pittsburg (completed in 1939) :

CLIFF_inspir.jpg

Frank-Lloyd-Wright-Fallingwater_dezeen_784_1.jpg

Falling_Water_view_from_entrance.jpg

fallingwaterhigh_andrew-pielage-3.jpg

For me, somewhere warm like Italy. In a villa overlooking a vineyard. The thought of sitting, watching the sun go down with a glass of red sounds idyllic.

Rather ironic how people are posting how they'd like to be miles from anyone on a social website ☺️

For me, somewhere warm like Italy. In a villa overlooking a vineyard. The thought of sitting, watching the sun go down with a glass of red sounds idyllic.

Rather ironic how people are posting how they'd like to be miles from anyone on a social website ☺

Living in the middle of nowhere would scare me. As nice as Patagonia and Alaska is, little too remote :eek:

I know someone who went to live in South Korea for a time working for Samsung. In one early meeting he made the mistake of suggesting a better way of doing something than his boss had come up with. That was it - he was 'ghosted' from there on - never given any decent projects, never spoken to unless absolutely necessary, left off any social events - completely isolated for a year, then went home again. So if you are going to live in one of these areas 'know your place' I guess.

White folk were also such a rarity that people would literally come up to him in the street and say 'can I touch your skin?'
I was requested to meet with a CEO of one of their divisions late on a Friday evening last year. And requested to be an hour earlier so we could go over protocols. He then invited me over to Seoul last year, I received more cultural awareness training.

Even had that back in the day in Italy on how to deal and even dress when meeting with their C level people.

Anyway in the end I found in Korea that getting drunk and eating out is a good way to build bridges.

I love the place, but wouldn’t want to live there. My niece has been to Uni there twice for six months and loves it.

If money was no object I don't think I would have a fixed abode. I would spend the rest of my life traveling the world, not a bad way to pass time.

Come to think of it, Rather than actually moving somewhere to live for a very long time, I’d like to spend a year in Nome, Alaska just to experience the seasons. Maybe six months.

Like some other Asian countries, the Japaneses are unfailingly polite to your face but many are incredibly racist which is par for the course in a society that values conformity and collectivism.

Sadly, there's an element of truth in this.

Compared to Western countries, Japan has a much higher level of cultural, ethnic, and racial homogeneity. Immigration isn't big.

Faced with an aging population that's not growing quick enough, they maintain one of the toughest refugee policies in the world.

Beautiful country. Tokyo is a fantastical city. As an anime and gaming fan, going there is like a pilgrimage. But holidays and work trips seem better than a permanent move.

Can't blame them for turning away asylum seekers. Look what Europe's open door policy has done...

Anyway in the end I found in Korea that getting drunk and eating out is a good way to build bridges.
did you try some bosintang/gaejangguk?

did you try some bosintang/gaejangguk?
Nope 👎 To be honest it was an experience. One night I just wanted a steak. When we got the menu it looked promising there was only steak on it. The bit I didn’t see, wasn’t translated, was that it came with five different courses of fish before that. 😬 But I quite like fermented squid.

Anywhere I didn't have to put up with idiotic neighbours.

I actually like living in the North East so I'd probably go somewhere with better transport links, like somewhere with a Metro station. Jesmond perhaps.

Overseas. Another vote for Amsterdam or even New Orleans.

If it were the UK then I'd say the Lakes.

Need a lottery win now though to get something decent up there.

Outside of the UK then so many great places.

Iceland. Thailand. Aus. Parts of Spain. Having recently holiday'ed in Colorado 2 times in the past 2 days though, what an incredible place to live.

If you like Sunshine/Snow/Mountains. Which I do. So currently that would be my first go to place.

Anywhere I didn't have to put up with idiotic neighbours.

I actually like living in the North East so I'd probably go somewhere with better transport links, like somewhere with a Metro station. Jesmond perhaps.

Overseas. Another vote for Amsterdam or even New Orleans.
New Orleans?! Months and months of 100% humidity. No thanks!

I know. I dare say there won't be much of Amsterdam in a few years as well :(

The Dutch are leading the world in flood defences. I wouldn't bet against them just yet. The US is terrible at infrastructure unless it's national defence so there's no way I'd move to any climate change prone US location.

New Orleans?! Months and months of 100% humidity. No thanks!

I know. I just love the place.

Sitting on the porch of my plantation house eating a Po'boy and a bag of Beignets and putting the odd hex on folk, I'd be pretty happy :)

The Dutch are leading the world in flood defences. I wouldn't bet against them just yet. The US is terrible at infrastructure unless it's national defence so there's no way I'd move to any climate change prone US location.

Anyone can put their finger in a dyke :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom