If you could live anywhere? Where and why?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
If you could choose anywhere in the world to live, where would it be?
Let's assume you had enough money to move and if you need a job, one would be there for you.
A lot of people would choose to stay where they are because of friend or family ties. Which is probably the best reason.
Or if you're in the UK, maybe it's things like the NHS or Bakewell puddings. The history, culture or tradition will keep people where they are. Certainly patriotism is another good reason.
But if you would consider moving, where would you go and why?

Would be Italy. Rome or Milan.

I love their food and I love their women.

And that'll do for me. I'm a simple man :laugh:

If I had the money I’d like to retire to Alberta or BC, Canada. Somewhere with mountain views and fewer people.

New Zealand I think for me. Or Canada

I loved Tasmania. Great coffee, wine and whisky and amazing food. Stunning landscape, a thriving art-scene. And they have proper seasons. I could definitely live there.

Japan. Never been but its a country that fascinates me and pretty sure I'd love it. Countryside though, can't be doing with cities :nono:

We had this realisation not that long ago, and are in the process of making it a reality. Moving away from the country side and into the inner city of Amsterdam.

If any money is left over it will also include a villa in Sirmioni, plus a house in Fremantle, oh and a villa near Willemstad. Whilst keeping a flat in London.

That will do for us.

Definitely Kyoto.

Amsterdam. Love the place. The culture, the people... I have some family in Holland (not the Dam) and their way of life is what I would consider perfection. Amsterdam also has a thriving developer scene and community, which is mainly the reason I go, usually once a year.

Does living where English is not the main language not put people off significantly?

A Private tropical island, so I can tell everyone else to **** off and leave me alone when I wanted some peace and quiet ;)

Matukituki valley, peace and quiet.
In fact me and my prettier half were thinking of holidaying there in the future.

Somewhere in the wine regions of South Africa, near Cape Town

I’d stay put as I don’t think I’d be arsed to move. I’ve always said that the only way I’m leaving my house is in a coffin and that stands. I guess I’m just a simple being.

I'd like to move to France, although the language barrier would put my wife off. We've spent some time there in the past, and love the French lifestyle, food and wine.
More realistic is south west Donegal. The slow pace of life will suit us both in our retirement years.

Last edited:
It's hard to beat where I live now tbh

It's a bit cliche these days, but if I HAD to go, then I'd be another heading towards the Northern States of the US or south of Canada. I wouldn't go without a bundle of cash though! neither place is a good place to be poor...

I've always wanted to go to Japan/far east but with my limited brain power there is zero chance of me learning the lingo. I've been in France since 2013 and still struggle with even primary school French.

California or Florida would be good for me, just because they have a great lifestyle. But I will settle for holidays to either. :)

A Private tropical island, so I can tell everyone else to **** off and leave me alone when I wanted some peace and quiet ;)

Alright Andrew.

Outside the UK, I like Berlin.
  • Reminds me of Manchester but with better public transport.
  • Lot of history and a vibrant cultural scene.
  • You don't have to be rich to enjoy it, especially the food with affordable restaurants.
  • Not as cheap as it was 10 years ago, but compared to London...
  • Not too far from friends back in the UK.
  • Gives me an incentive to revise and improve my (woeful) German.
  • There are nice lakes surrounding the city to ease me into old age.
  • Has the facilities and feel of a world-class city like London, but minus the absurd crowding.
  • Has its fair share of wet weather to remind me of Manchester.
* This post was not sponsored by the Berlin tourism board.
** I don't know why I didn't move there in 2014-15. I've lost my mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom