1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you are choosing between the 42pd5300 and 42pd5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by simon391088, Jan 26, 2005.

1. simon391088

simon391088
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I thought i'd post my recent Hitachi experiences for the benefit of those who are about to buy one... If I could have read this before I bought mine, it would have saved me a lot of hassle!

I decided on the Hitachi 42pd5x00 after seeing good reviews and reasonable prices. Never having had a plasma before, this was all a bit new to me, so I took the advise of those (mostly sales people) I spoke to.

As I needed the Plasma wall mounted, I was advised to go for the 42pd5300 instead of the 42pd5200 as the 5300 is designed for wall mounting. I was actually told that the 5300 is exactly the same as the 5200 apart from it has a separate media box connected to the plasma so you don't have to have lots of wires going to the screen.

I placed my order, and sure enough the plasma turned up a few days later... Unfortunately it was actually faulty - although this is not the point of my post - when I put it on standby it would not switch on again unless I unplugged it for 10 minutes.

It turned out that being faulty was probably a good thing...
    Firstly the 5300 does not have a DVI in port - it is used by the media box. I realise not everyone might want this anyway, but having been told the 5300 and 5200 were the same, i wasn't too happy. the 5300 is not High Def compatible.

I phoned the dealers, who couldn't have been more helpful. Firstly they were simply going to send me a new media box, however after pointing out that I wasn't happy about the missing HD port, they agreed to exchange it for a 5200.

I then phoned Hitachi because I wanted to know what else might be different between the two screens. I spoke to a very helpful chap there, who said that the 5200 and 5300 were actually completely different. The 5200 has been designed from the ground up for High Def TV, whereas the 5300 is a lesser model. He actually said not to be fooled by the increase in the number. The 5300 has a 3 because of the model number of the media box - not because it is better than the 5200.

Finally, for those contemplating this a few further bits of info....

1. Both screens have a great picture - I use Sky+ and a v.cheap dvd player from a supermarket and the picture is great.
    2. The 5300 and 5200 have completely different interfaces. The 5300 has far less choices, but gives a much better picture out of the box. You have to play around with the 5200 quite a lot to get the same picture quality. The volume on the 5300 is clunky with a small display at the top which seems to move up and down in v.large increments. The 5200 is a standard green bar accross the bottom of the screen.
    3. The 5300 actually has 2 leads connected to it. A power lead and the lead to the media box. With sky+ and DVD, I only have 2 leads going to the 5200 anyway, power and scart, so there isn't any cable reducing benefit for me anyway.
    4. The 5300 buzzed quite loudly whereas the 5200 does not.
    5. The 5300 did not have a proper manual, it had a generic pd5000 manual and a 3000 manual for the media box.

Personally, I can't really see why anyone would benefit from the 5300 over the 5200. The only reason might be because it has 3 scart ports and the 5200 only has one, however if it was me, I would use a switching scart splitter, or if you have sky+ you can chain a dvd into the scart on the sky+ box.

Hope my experience with this will save other people the hassle I went through!
    I would definately recommend the Hitachi plasmas, If I was to start again, I'd go straight for the 5200.

Thanks
    Simon

2. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,838
    That's an interesting post Simon.
    I am sure anyone considering a new plasma, as I was before Christmas, would find this info useful. I was looking at the Hitachi brochures (pdfs) with a magnifying glass and certainly did not see the differences you have discovered.
    The numbers and pricing are misleading.

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    I think the screens are all the same . Its just the connectivity options that differ .Wouldn't be cost effective to do it another way .

As for hi def capabillity.They are capable ,yes , but not at the proposed SKY resolutions .So you would be all right for Blu ray or HDDVD .But not for SKY on the current info , atleast on the current info anyhow :)
    atb
    John

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Guess a lot depends on your setup as, depending on your kit, the 5300 is a little easier to setup if you don't know what you are doing.

I've got a 5300 and went for it for a couple of reasons one of which was the single cable to the screen for the video connection. Currently I've got Sky+ via scart, DVD via component, XBOX via Scart, PC via VGA and media adapter plugged into the front socket. At the time I bought it, the amp I had didn't do video switching so I would have had a lot of cables to go to the screen. Even now, with the Arcam AVR300 which does do switching, I'd have to invest in more cables and various converters to get just one video connection to the screen.

As regards HiDef, johnscarlet is correct in that the 5200 is no more capable of displaying Sky's announced hidef format of 720p/50Hz than the 5300. The 5300 can display a hidef picture from a PC. I can set my PC to output 1920*1080i (30hz) which gives stunning pictures from hidef WMV files.

John

5. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is NOT confirmed at all. Once again this is scaremongering. Nothing concrete has came from SKY regarding this, and I wish people would stop putting this on the forums. The 5200 could well be compatible, and if for some reason it isn't there is hardware you could use to make it so.

6. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    I'm going to quote myself now

Thanks for that
    atb
    JS

7. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    simon,

does the 5200 have an hdmi input? ive been reading alot about a pure digital connection from sky / dvd gives superior pictures, does the 5200 support this?

8. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ok, point taken :nono:

9. Timmah

Timmah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've seen in a recent mag and on the Sky website, Sky have launched a new plasma which is a rebadged Hitachi 5*00 screen...this should mean compatibility is more likely in the future! :)

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    I wouldn't pin my hopes on that .Its "possibly" not compatable with any of the plasmas they have previoulsly sold , do any of them have component in?
    Personaly , I don't think that it will be worth having for at least 2-3 years after lauch , based on content & Subs (thats my excuse , I have not buried a DVI-D cable :suicide: )

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The 5200 doesn't have an HDMI input bit I do believe that you can get HDMI -> DVI and DVI -> HDMI cables.

John

12. simon391088

simon391088
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Timmah's post, as Sky are offering a rebadged 5200. Apparently this is the first Sky plasma to be HD compatible. I find it incredibly hard to believe that Sky's HD broadcasts in 2006 would not be compatible with this screen.

Simon

13. redsi72

redsi72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Has anyone got an opinion on the pd5000?
    I ask because Richer Sounds in Liverpool pointed me to this screen saying that it was the "most future proof" plasma. ie hd ready for any of the proposed broadcasts by sky but i cant find much info abt it.
    Should i buy this or stick to the 5200?
    Thanx
    Si

14. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's what I tend to believe too. The PD5200's support 1080i50 va DVI-HDCP but not 720p50. Now, Sky has publicly announced that most of their HDTV broadcast -but not all- will be 720p50.

Methinks they don't really know at that early stage, in fact I would bet 1080i50 will be frequently used, esp. for movies. 720p50 is best for sports though (well, 1080p would be even better, but that's for later... :) ).

Then, I believe the future SkyHD STB (being designed at present I suppose?) will allow switching to 1080i50 regardless of the incoming broadcast, be it 1080i50 or 720p50. In which case the PD5200 can take anythin' HD from SkyHD. :thumbsup:

Lastly, I find it rather hard to believe that they'd take the risk of advertising and selling a plasma display (which they label "Sky Plasma") today, i.e. AFTER they have announced they'll start HDTV service next year, with the knowledge that it is NOT compatible with their own future HDTV broadcasts. :rolleyes:

Oh but hang on - of course, that's it, in fact they probably have not even realized what they're doing... :eek: :D

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Just to let you guys know the only fully compatible Plasma are the Pioneer 435 and 505 XDE/FDE screens and the LG PX12 IIRC (perhaps the PY10) but a very limited choice...ALIS screens will have a difficulty in processing 720p so i am not sure what they will look like with 720p (1080i should be fine)

16. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Ah yes but, as a company out to make money, why sell you a screen now that works with their planned HiDef service when they can sell you another one in a couple of years time.

Or am I just being cynical... :rolleyes:

John