if we lose physical media, we'll lose ownership of movies!!!

I also use netflix, prime and disney+, i also rent the occassional film but now when it comes to ownership I’m sticking to physical.

Me?. I have a wall of DVDs a cabinet of Blu rays and trunkfulls of CDs . The Videos is never looked at,.. who watches films more than a few times anyway?. ..or at least within a 2 year window. The CDs get listened to daily and multiple times ..so are also stored on Hard Drives and portable music players. . And I am not the only one, CDs are more expensive in the charity shops than DVDs ..which is the only measure of how people value things.

I have a google play library of approx 800 films, they have removed their app from all my TV’s and streaming boxes and basically told me tough luck. After losing 100 movies during the flixster shut down i will never buy digital again until we atleast have a movies Anywhere type service in the UK. Its ridiculous the US has had it for almost 3 years and still nothing in the UK

Stick to iTunes. 99.9% of the films purchased stays in the library and HD purchases gets automatically upgraded to 4K. We have folks who are using iTunes for more than 5 years and no movies lost from their library. Not saying these will remain forever but I expect the films to remain for many decades.

I wouldn't trust Prime, Google Play and Rakuten to buy movies.

Me?. I have a wall of DVDs a cabinet of Blu rays and trunkfulls of CDs . The Videos is never looked at,.. who watches films more than a few times anyway?. ..or at least within a 2 year window. The CDs get listened to daily and multiple times ..so are also stored on Hard Drives and portable music players. . And I am not the only one, CDs are more expensive in the charity shops than DVDs ..which is the only measure of how people value things.
My CD’s are all on My laptop, iphone and a hard drive but they are also boxes under the stairs.

its a bit different with music cause you can download it and put it on most devices. Can download from amazon and put it in itunes etc

with movie downloads they are still all linked to an app to played through and if that app gets discontinued the films gone.

But why would the app get discontinued? Apple aren’t going to suddenly close up shop I don’t think. I haven’t had a single film go missing in years with Apple, and I’ve got hundreds now. Even though I still buy quite a lot of physical media, I’ve saved literally thousands by buying on iTunes instead of disc. This ‘you don’t own it’ stuff is bizarre to me, I look at hundreds and hundreds of discs that cost me a small fortune and don’t get played any more and all they do is take up space in my place, and in that time I’ve lost literally nothing on iTunes, but I’ve saved a fortune and digital quality is only getting better. People who say it doesn’t even compare to Blu-ray are so off the mark.

But why would the app get discontinued? Apple aren’t going to suddenly close up shop I don’t think. I haven’t had a single film go missing in years with Apple, and I’ve got hundreds now. Even though I still buy quite a lot of physical media, I’ve saved literally thousands by buying on iTunes instead of disc. This ‘you don’t own it’ stuff is bizarre to me, I look at hundreds and hundreds of discs that cost me a small fortune and don’t get played any more and all they do is take up space in my place, and in that time I’ve lost literally nothing on iTunes, but I’ve saved a fortune and digital quality is only getting better. People who say it doesn’t even compare to Blu-ray are so off the mark.
I thought the same about Google, they still withdrew their app form Samsung & LG TV’s aswell as all Roku streaming devices. Yeah I can get the app back all I gotta do is buy a google TV dongle. LG has an AppleTV app they could withdraw it anytime forcing me to buy an Apple TV box.

It's a good idea just to buy an Apple Tv box anyway.

Tremendous piece of kit, and worth it for the movie extras.

And that is the opinion of someone who hates Apple.

It's a good idea just to buy an Apple Tv box anyway.

Tremendous piece of kit, and worth it for the movie extras.

And that is the opinion of someone who hates Apple.
Bitrates are also higher when you stream iTunes bought content via an AppleTV box vs using the AppleTV app on 3rd party kit.

BBC News.PNG

And Blu-rays?

Yeah, well like that's only your opinion man! :D!

Technically, they probably stopped selling proper Compact Discs™ a decade ago most of the 'CDs' I've seen in shops aren't proper CDs™.

I go to Sainsbury's for petrol because air is free for my tyres and when I no longer have a combustion engine car I'll still go if they do free tyre air (that's assumeing electric car tyres need air).

I think they did a few exclusive Blu-rays years ago but I don't recall getting too excited about it. Totally removing pressed discs is a bit silly and gives people even more reasons to go to Aldi and Lidl.

Our Tesco has no 4K and very little Bluray / DVD now so effectively has stopped also.
I cant see them selling many at all as most enthusiasts will buy online. Sign of the times

My tesco has about four 4Ks and maybe two shelfs of BDs but lots of the bargain basment dvds. Where the studios have re-released them with new artwork put dropped the extras.

DVD is by far, somehow, still the biggest physical media format and I would imagine a significant part of that is due to the impulse buy in stores like this. I also think the mental barrier of the £10 level contributes to this, so 4K at £25 must seem incredibly expensive for most people. £10 is much more palatable. So I’m surprised they’re even dropping DVDs.

I bet they’re still selling vinyl though, which will contradict their reasons for dropping CD and DVD…

DVD is by far, somehow, still the biggest physical media format and I would imagine a significant part of that is due to the impulse buy in stores like this. I also think the mental barrier of the £10 level contributes to this, so 4K at £25 must seem incredibly expensive for most people. £10 is much more palatable. So I’m surprised they’re even dropping DVDs.

Many Blu-ray and 4K enthusiasts think those that still buy DVDs are idiots, but I think Blu-ray and 4K enthusiasts are idiots, for not realising why this is and why many still buy DVDS over Blu-ray and 4K... To the majority, myself and other Blu-ray and 4K enthusiasts, are the ones who are idiots. The fact is, Blu-ray and 4K enthusiasts are in the minority, and are greatly outnumbered.

I know people who still buy DVDs, who haven't moved to Blu-ray or 4K, and price isn't the reason for this.

Many Blu-ray and 4K enthusiasts think those that still buy DVDs are idiots, but I think Blu-ray and 4K enthusiasts are idiots, for not realising why this is... To the majority, myself and other Blu-ray and 4K enthusiasts, are the ones who are idiots. The fact is, Blu-ray and 4K enthusiasts are in the minority, and are greatly outnumbered.
But there’s nothing idiotic about wanting the best possible version, once that’s as close to what was filmed in the first place - much like wanting the best version of an artist’s album. The two sides will always see the other side negatively - each side has a relevant viewpoint regarding their own choice, but not of the opposing viewpoint.

But there’s nothing idiotic about wanting the best possible version, once that’s as close to what was filmed in the first place - much like wanting the best version of an artist’s album. The two sides will always see the other side negatively - each side has a relevant viewpoint regarding their own choice, but not of the opposing viewpoint.

"There is nothing idiotic about wanting the best possible version, once that's as close to what was filmed in the first place..." - There is to people that couldn't careless about picture and audio quality... The same people likely buy others things in their lives that are of higher quality than what you've bought and own. They might still purchase and watch DVDs, but probably have other interests, which they invest much more money into than you do, and think you're an idiot for not having a greater understanding of it, and valuing it less than they do and owing inferior quality than them with whatever it is that they place a higher value in.

The majority don't view movies as art... I have two sides when it comes to this, the average Joe side of myself, and the enthusiast side of myself. The Average Joe side of myself makes up the higher percentage, most of the time I couldn't give two craps about the artistic aspect of movies and this hobby, and have little interest in wanting to know or learning about it, which is how most people view it... Like most, the entertainment factor is where it begins and where it ends for a great deal of content that I watch. The artist side of it all, is when it starts to go into snob territory.

Reason for editing: noticed a spelling error.

Last edited:
Eh? Movies being art and having the best quality visually are not related at all. Once you have a TV that is 4K 55" DVD just looks low resolution. There is nothing snobbery about it. If folks are watching DVD in smaller screens I am sure it looks fine.

Bit if a weird rant you have gone on there.

Eh? Movies being art and having the best quality visually are not related at all. Once you have a TV that is 4K 55" DVD just looks low resolution. There is nothing snobbery about it. If folks are watching DVD in smaller screens I am sure it looks fine.

100% 👍

I know people who still buy DVDs, who haven't moved to Blu-ray or 4K, and price isn't the reason for this.
So what’s the reason then? If price isn’t the reason then why not buy the 4K copy of say Tenet over the DVD version? If price isn’t the reason, then one could just as easily not buy the DVD version.

They believe 720 x 480 is the master race.

One example of many I could give, but it's a good example because it's someone extremely close too me as an enthusiast when they are not, is my old man, who is 66 years old in a few weeks, and his wife (my step mum), who is 63... They are wealthy people, but the biggest tv they own is 55 inches. They have seen plenty of Blu-ray's and 4K Blu-ray's at my place (I own over 3000 Blu-ray's and 500 4K Blu-ray's), they can see the difference, but it still doesn't matter to them. They are happy and content with size tv they have, and their 20 year old Sony DVD player, that still works fine (I doubt most Blu-ray players will last 20 plus years, because quality has dropped over the past 20 years). They consider it a waste of money to upgrade until what they have has broken.

They have other hobbies, they race kayaks in comps, weekly, they have spent over $100000 on this hobby and own more than 10 kayaks between them... They also like camping, and gold prospecting, and have also spent over $100000 on this hobby. Would it be fair to call you an idiot if you were to do either of these hobbies, and only spent a few hundred or few thousands dollars on low end quality stuff to participate in these activities?

Last edited:

I agree but I still watch quite a few DVD's on mine - all of which arent on Blu-ray or 4K disc. DVD's can look quite good upscaled but obviously don't compare to HD or 4K.

So...down to money after all.
No, they have the money, and could buy better equipment than what I, a probably what you own too, and a larger movie collection, but they choose not to, because their values are different. The majority of people don't value Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray, and certainly don't value the artistic aspect of movies... DVD still wouldn't be leading if that were the case. We are in the minority (we are the idiots to most), if you disagree, show me evidence, and prove that we are not?

No, they have the money, and could buy better equipment than what I, a probably what you own too, and a larger movie collection, but they choose not to, because their values are different. The majority of people don't value Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray, and certainly don't value the artistic aspect of movies... DVD still wouldn't be leading if that were the case. We are in the minority (we are the idiots to most), if you disagree, show me evidence, and prove that we are not?
That was exactly GrazzaB’s point re: mental barrier & why they buy DVD over the BD/4K.
It just boils down to they can’t get over the mental barrier of paying £25 when £10 will suffice. All the rest of the reasoning is just window dressing. It’s just a case of why pay £25, when £10 will do.

Artistic merit, as others have already said, has nothing to do with this particular discussion.
The main reason ‘we’ buy HD/4K over SD is because SD looks crap on modern TVs. Nobody is buying Transformers in 4K over DVD for its artistic merit. It’s all about the picture/audio quality.

‘We’ don’t like the poor PQ & are willing to pay the extra. Some people (like your parents) don’t mind/care/put up with the poor PQ.
If everything were equal & your parents already had a 4K/BD player & TV at home, & 4K/BD were exactly the same price as DVDs, would your parents still buy the DVD over the 4K/BD disc? Unlikely.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom