if using SKY+ on a LCD or RPTV try this.....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lhough20, Sep 9, 2004.

1. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone who's interested and using sky+ which is set to output RGB via the scart lead I challenge you to turn it output "PAL" in the picture settings and then adjust your TV's colour,contrast and brightness etc to get a good picture. Watch the tv for about half and hour trying a few different channels and you may be shocked at how much different the picture is. On my TV the picture appears to have less blurring and less shadowing around the text (try QVC channel to check the text)

I'm not sure if its my TV or maybe my imagination but I think I prefer it when The SKY+ is set to output PAL!! :eek:

Is it such a shock horror situation to prefer it to be set to PAL? has anyone else experienced this? Do enthusiasts get hung up on using the settings that are "supposed" to be the best and not what actually look the best on the TV?

Any comments or suggestions are gratefully recieved.
    (also i'm pretty new to the AV game so any explanations or corrections of the above are welcome)
    Thanks
    Lee

Sony rear projection LCD TV (KF42SX300U)
    Denon DHT500SD (home cinema)
    SKY+ (pace)

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Definitely prefer my V1 Skyplus+ set to RGB.
    Maybe your settings are reversed someway ? :cool:

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,058
    Funny you should say that but messed about with this the other day on my Plasma and could have sworn it worked

However swaitched back to RGB as that has to be better - does'nt it ?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've got a Philips 15" LCD and Sky does look better via PAL on that - much to my surprise when I set it up.

John

5. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that i had to adjust the settings on the TV (brightness,contrast,colour) after putting the SKY+ on PAL output. e.g. the colour may need to be turned down a bit and the sharpness turned up (on mine anyway). Then after watching a few different channels for a while i found the known picture quality problems with the V2 SKY+ pace boxes had (almost) gone away (theres quite a lot of posts about the V2 sky+ problem).

So until sky and pace come up with a software update to solve the problem, just try watching sky+ with it set to output PAL for a few days (not a few minutes!!) and see what you think.

come on guys! fight the power, break the mould, be a rebel.... :devil:

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It doesn't seem better for me, as now all the sky boxes are a bit fuzzy.

What is the Sky+ V2 problem? I know I'm not impressed on my LCD with it. Might try the old Sky digibox and see if that is better.

Cheers
    Marc

7. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of those threads are nearly a year old mate...can anybody confirm wether or not the software update has been done? I have problems on some channels (noticeably FX289 where the picture is very soft and very dark) but not all...Live channels (Sky News etc) seem fine. I do however get some green tint on American programmes - Tru Calling is the worst - which I don't get on DVD.
    I'm using a Toshiba 40" RPTV via RGB.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The "soft focus" issues were fixed on the v2 quite a while ago during a routine OS update, any problems people are seeing now are probably channel related not platform related.

PAL looked better to my eyes on my RPTV I belive simply because the softer image masked the vast majority of the digital artifacts that are a part of many low bitrate channel. No doubt the SKY menus looked far sharper in RGB but it's the picture I watch most of the time so the choice was PAL and if you take the time to set it up right PAL is a viable option but not for everyone and every source.

10. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just been experimenting (with the TV i mean :laugh: ) and when connecting the SKY+ to a RPTV via the svideo connection and turning down the colour and increasing the focus, the picture is quite amazing and appears to hide all the "interference" when viewing certain channels.
    Just a thought :zonked:
    Lee