If this is true, bluray wins

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ferry, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Ferry

Ferry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    From the link it's AACS that's been hacked (if you believe it) which is used by both HD DVD and Blu-ray so it makes no difference for either format. You could equally do the same thing with a blu-ray disk player in a lap top.

Not particularly supprised if it's true. While any format is available on both stand alones and PCs they will get hacked.

3. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Saw this earlier.

I don't see why hd dvd is finished, thought the new AACS were meant to be adaptable to cover problems like this.

I will believe it when I see it in the public domain, shaky camcorder footage proves nothing. I saw a magician make a car vanish once ;)

4. av-phile

av-phile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whether true or not, I have never had any doubt the AACS can be cracked sooner or later. Cracking AACS is not just bad news for HD DVD but also for Blurry. Though BLurry still has a security ace up its sleeve in the BD+.

I am just a bit concerned that if this is true, and the crack becomes available to pirates at this time, then this will surely be a disincentive for studios to bring out any more titles to high def. I had hope something like this would happen when both formats have already reached critical mass the studios can't ignore. The same way studios can't help but release new DVD titles even if they knew there'd be pirated versions in a matter of days.

5. zeroprobe

zeroprobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Seems to be legit, wish I had the equipment test it.

6. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
  7. toycollector

toycollector

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As long as big companys try to fleece the public.Their will be someone around trying to stop them.Prices for many electrical items are far higher in the UK than the US.Just do a price search for the Toshiba HDD player.When i first read about the price of the Samsung Blue Ray i honestly thought that it was a recordable machine.Their have been many reports of price fixing on the LCD tv front.So good luck to anyone who gets one over on the big guys.(if they can hack this then it doesn't look good for the Governments ID cards!!)

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The Guardian hacked the new 'secure' passports -- same tech as ID cards -- within hours.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,,1838754,00.html

Now criminals can sit outside airports with RFID readers and steal your entire 'secure' identity ... nice move Tony Blair.

Of cource USA has abandoned RDID tags in their passports / ID cards as they are too insecure, but they demand that countries like UK issues them to their citizens for 'easy of use' at US border controls. Poodle-Blair stands up for British again.

StooMonster

9. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110

Only thing with this is what's the point of copying the chip? You put it in a fake passport, but unless they have your key (fingerprint, or iris) it's useless and can't be used. That's the whole point it ties the passport to the individual. Before we get into fake fingerprints and iris contact lenses this is the real world not MI3 :)

Don't however get me started about traveling into the US, 1 hour que's every time you travel are nothing short of a disgrace. I often wonder how americans would react if we had a que specifically for them when they come and visit europe, with one instpector on for 500 people, while we waltz through a section with 10 inspectors for 50 people....

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    So maybe one criminal step, cloning passports may be slightly harder because they haven't managed to re-encrypt (yet) ... although they can read your biometric keys (finger-prints and iris scans), surely useful to criminals for 'identity theft'? A perfect digital clone of all your ID details and proof of ID all in one place will prove much more lucrative than fake passports.

Or how about criminals sitting at airport / border control and scanning a family leaving for holiday to acquire their name and address details, so they can use their name and property for whatever they want whilst they are away?

The Dutch have been lumbered with the same tech, and had their biometric passports cracked and biometric data read nearly a year ago. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/30/dutch_biometric_passport_crack/

StooMonster

11. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I totally accept the points you're making, however i do thing people tend to get a bit carried away with this sort of thing.

What can any criminal do with your fingerprint data or iris, without your fingers and eyes. I've now had my fingerprints taken in the US a half a dozen times. It's never worried me what they might do with that biometric data. The point of that data on passports is you need to present both your passport and your fingers on entry, if they don't match then you get a free trip to a deportation center. Criminals won't be able to use the data to steal your identity.

As for scanning for families going on holiday. Less scrupulous taxi drivers have been doing this for years. Where's the greater risk here?

I do find it interesting to debate these things :) If it was me i'd have everyone DNA on record too though, i'm not big on civil liberties, when it comes to preventing crime :)

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    :nono: Preventing crime? :rotfl: Like all the camera watching our every move make UK have the lowest crime rates in Europe?

Bunch of bureaucratic box-ticking control-freaks spending billions of pounds of tax payers money, with the goal that National Identity Register can track your every transcation to ensure you are not avoiding tax ... which pays to keep them in jobs. :)

StooMonster

13. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    can we keep this on topic please :)

14. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Cameras are a very lazy public stunt to make some individuals feel better, and keep jerramy beedle in a job.

A national DNA database however would catch an untold number of criminals. However we'd have to begin kulling prisoners on a large scale to keep them at managable numbers. That or we need to find another australia to send them all too, er what about the moon.......

15. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    :(

16. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    A national DNA database would be a very lazy public stunt to make some individuals feel better, and keep DNA testing scientists in a job.

Any serious player in law enforcement / intelligence will tell you criminals are wise to leaving DNA traces, similar to fingerprints in the past, and simply go better prepared to 'jobs' and try hard not to leave traces while executing it. Therefore the only criminals caught would be 'cold cases' and anyone stupid enough to leave DNA at a crime scene, which is probably only your ASBO fodder anyways. So all a big (expensive) waste of time and tax-payers money.

:(

Well, if it's hacked it allows piracy for HD DVD, which is already region free.

If it allowed piracy for Blu-ray it still wouldn't help us as region encoding would still stand for legitimate purchased titles. If Blu-ray was region free, I would consider it but at this point in time ... nah!

StooMonster

17. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    could just be managed copy as some one suggested on another forum, simply using the freely available decryption algorithm for managed copy

18. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I think you may feel more at home in the usa mate, theres no chance in hell that i would give up my dna freely or would i ever be pressured into id cards i hope im long dead before any of these make it into our lives.

19. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I just think as someone who works with DNA everyday i don't "fear" it :)

Anyway it's is getting way off topic now :)

20. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  21. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Waay of topic but.....

I recall when the council first introduced street cameras on the high st near where a lived some 12 years back, on a grand "fighting crime together" banner. The only thing they've been fighting ever since is motorists. Park on a single yellow line to pick-up / drop-off during restricted hours and you get a pleasant £50 fine (discounted rate) come through the post for being 'illegally' parked, no warning and no signs. That's ALL the cameras are used for these days raising revenue for petty parking contraventions and that's exactly what'll happen with ID cards, it's a grand 'scam' the government will use against us.

....sorry.

22. SAH

SAH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I don't pretend to understand half of this but it appears only certain HD-DVD's were hacked, and 'fixes' can be implemented to stop such a hack happening again, at least in the short term.

Blu-Ray also has a second level of protection with BD+.

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    It is a pity BD+ does not curently work :rolleyes: , like BD J, BD live (feel free to substitute any letter after BD here ;)). Like much of the BD specs currently, they are currently just not working, tested or even agreed!!. BD+ also relies on AACS, so an addition program is likely to be a hackers dream.... AACS is the core protection here and unlike previous systems (DVD) which were hacked or not, this one can patch the gaps pretty effectively and cause problems for systems that have have been hacked! This is all assuming it has been hacked ;)

24. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    If you add too much protection you will have the problem where 30% of people will gaurentee to have problems watching stuff and 50% will have intermitting problems.

These protection`s are made by smart people and will be broken by smart people... It like saying my house is bigger than your house ... so you go out and build a bigger house or if you are nasty go and burn there bigger house down ;)

25. Ferry

Ferry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder when we will see the first .img that can be mounted by Daemon tools

26. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Hmmm.... call me cynical but this all seems very convenient for the upcoming Vista release.

Part of what Vista provides is a secure path through your PC with trusted hardware and software. If un-approved software enters into the chain then it's no-longer considered DRM safe and therefore software players can refuse to play. What's this supposed to counter? PC cards that can sniff PCI bus data or programs that can sniff keys in memory...

You can see it coming. AACS will only provide keys for PC software using the AACS protection on Vista where content safety is much harder to compromise.

Got Windows XP? Want to use Vista 32bit? Want to play HD content? Sorry, you need approved hardware/software on Vista 64bit for that.

Make up your own minds.

27. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Someone else at AVS blamed the timing on CES. Personally I blame Santa :D as it's christmas time :rolleyes: .

28. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    By the look of it, all of this because hollywood insisted on HDCP on digital screens/monitors, and sombody wanted to be able to use his digital monitor without HDCP. Do'h! http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Hacker-succeeds-in-decrypting-HD-DVD-titles.html

My analysis of the situation. it seems a certain peice of HD dvd playing software is has been compimised and is giving up ligtamate ACCS keys. Note the ripping software requires working keys and is not a fully automated software( as in finding keys from the disk) like the CCS hacks.
    That version of the software will have it's licence revoked and future disc's will not work with it. A upgraded or patched version will have to replace it to continues to watch new HD-DVD to stop it from making ACCS keys available to the public. And so the game of cat and mouse begins( untill ACCS is completely hacked of course)!

This problem could just as easily have affected Blu-Ray too using the same system meaning the tools are there should keys be available. Assuming someone hasn't found a hole to get blu-ray ACCS keys in blu-ray playback software already.

yep the agreed, the whoile windows vista 64bit trusted hardware thing does seem rather convinient. Lets hope people arn't stupid enough to buy it in there droves.

29. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Wrong!

If this is true then HD-DVD definately wins.

Lets see the options to joe public.

1. HD-DVD - can get movies from bloke in pub at 3 for a tenner.
    2. BD - can only buy movies from hmv for £25 each.

They think 'I'll buy HD-DVD then!' Thus more user base = more movies = more users etc etc.

The first format to be fully hacked, dvd style, will win.

30. Spoonhead

Spoonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Except that all the Movie Studios who see their revenue decline will just switch to BD to maintain their income.