If this is not a pirate then call me Captain Hook!

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Just borrowed this from a mate at work, and then realised it was not what it seems. It even has a hologram with the words "THX DTS Superbit DVD9 Original", Yeah right!! what do you think?

I just bought that DVD and it does not look like that, it comes in a pink box with the DVD case inside, the DVD case has text written all over it and does not look like that, I can take some pics if you wanna see it, let me know.

Edit - Mine is the Criterion Collection version so ignore my rant :D

What region is it supposed to be?

Some pirates are hard to tell unless you see them "in the flesh". Holograms are easily bought for a few pence so they're no guarantee anyway.

Looks genuine on the first glance, pretty good fake if it is one.
Here in Asia they don't make so much effort ... ;)

Originally posted by Apocalypse
I just bought that DVD and it does not look like that, it comes in a pink box with the DVD case inside, the DVD case has text written all over it and does not look like that, I can take some pics if you wanna see it, let me know.

Edit - Mine is the Criterion Collection version so ignore my rant :D

Actually look closer at it and just under widescrren edition it says The Criterion Collection, This is one of the best pirate covers I have seen, but my advice would be to stear clear of them. Wait till I tell my mate it aint the real ting, although I suspect he already knows.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Squirrel God
What region is it supposed to be?

Says R1 on the box, but I just put it in my DVD rom drive which is locked to R2 so suspect it is R0

Originally posted by THX 1138
Says R1 on the box, but I just put it in my DVD rom drive which is locked to R2 so suspect it is R0
Just had a look at "The Criterion Collection" on the cover after you posted. Definitely not what my Criterion edition looks like! What's the print quality of the cover and the disk labels like? That's often (but not always) a dead giveaway for the attentive eye!

Actually the paper it is printed on is very high quality, someone has gone to a lot of trouble. Idiots:rolleyes:

Actually the paper it is printed on is very high quality, someone has gone to a lot of trouble. Idiots:rolleyes:
Well maybe it's an original R0... sometimes they come with English covers and the "R1" labelling might just be a typo ... (it does happen sometimes)...

Wait till I tell my mate it aint the real ting, although I suspect he already knows.:rolleyes:

Nick him. Bloody police are all rogues :D

Didn't the Criterion disc of this one come with 2 different covers? Canada had a different one to the US or something?
Not that I'm saying it's kosher, but I think it'd be daft to commit myself unless I had a hands on experience with this disc.

Aren't just about all Criterion discs R0 anyway? (out of interest)

Lock 'em all up. Piracy is sin. So I hear.

Both US and Canadian covers are almost the same.

The 'Actors' picture is on a carboards sleeve covering a double-amray pack with the 'cartoon' drawing on the cover.

As far as I know the R1 Criterion is the only version available on DVD at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom