• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

If the jet stream has changed so all summers are like this one, will you emigrate?

If the jet stream has changed so all summers are like this one, will you emigrate?

• I've already made plans to go/I'm going

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • If next summer is the same, I'm emigrating

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I'd go if the next few years are the same

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • I do or I would live abroad for part of the year

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I wouldn't like it, but I'd stay in Britain

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • I wouldn't mind if all summers were like this

Votes: 35 25.2%

• Total voters

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
So this summer has been so awful because the jet stream has moved south. Mainland Europe is having different weather to the norm because of it.
Our summers are usually pretty pathetic, but we can expect a couple of weeks of hot weather usually.
What if the jet stream doesn't come back?
If our summers are like this from now on, would you want to live in Britain?
Would you actually emigrate?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't leave the UK simply for the weather (while I still work), I am a creature of London and love this city however if an interesting job opportunity overseas were to arise, would I apply for it? I would indeed.

So no, I wouldn't emigrate if the jet stream were to change permanently but I would for career reasons

Dave

Distinguished Member
Meh, we're British. If the weather was decent or predictable we'd only be moaning about something else.

I wouldn't emigrate because if I did the jet stream would simply bugger off to Norway for 10 years.

IronGiant

What's the saying? One bad summer doesn't make a lot of bad summers? :)

I thought it was "If it rains anywhere on St. Swithun's Day it will rain for the next 40 summers" :)

Last edited:

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
You would have to move further south than me (Pays de La Loire) to avoid the rain. It is less wet and warmer than the UK though.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Meh, we're British. If the weather was decent or predictable we'd only be moaning about something else.

I wouldn't emigrate because if I did the jet stream would simply bugger off to Norway for 10 years.

If only we could get moaning into the Olympics... :D

Foebane72

Wow, did I inspire Stuart to start this thread? I hope so, I was the first one to mention the jetstream in the other weather thread. :clap:

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
No, I'm happy to stay in the UK. There's more to life than just the weather and, for all its ills I like this country.

Then again I'm not a sun worshipper and quite enjoy the autumn/winter, so this weather doesn't bother me a great deal. Having said that, I would like a few weeks of summer. Trying to lay a patio at the moment and my garden looks like the Somme.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
If i could, i would. Not always that easy to escape though (have to take responsibility for that myself thought) and having one of the weakest currencies in the developed world won't make matters any easier either.

If the opportunity presents though, would in a heartbeat. The weather is bad enough, not to mention everything else that is falling apart with GB.

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Business is here, Family is here, Friends are here. I'd have to hope that one day I could afford a holiday home somewhere hot but I could never leave England completely.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
What I wanna know is if the jetstream stays where it is what's winter gonna be like :eek:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
When it comes to winter 'boxing' is the worst thing - the jet stream splits and boxes us in.

Dunwa

I left about this time last year. My first winter in Sydney has been warmer, sunnier and dryer than summer in the UK. I was at Dee Why beach surfing with the kids last Sunday.

Is been difficult being alway from friends and family but Skype and Facebook has helped.

We came out on a 457 temporary visa for two years to give it a try. So far can't see us wanting to head back, although I do miss a decent pub.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Dunwa said:
I left about this time last year. My first winter in Sydney has been warmer, sunnier and dryer than summer in the UK. I was at Dee Why beach surfing with the kids last Sunday.

Is been difficult being alway from friends and family but Skype and Facebook has helped.

We came out on a 457 temporary visa for two years to give it a try. So far can't see us wanting to head back, although I do miss a decent pub.

Congrats & open one ;)

Sonic67

Banned
Emigrate because of the rain? Skin's waterproof.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom