If supermarkets have no delivery slots for weeks, how are people supposed to self isolate?

Sat up til midnight last night, logged in and was able to snag a 2pm delivery slot for 3 weeks time.

As soon as I sltried to add anything to the basket it hung and booted me out.
Before I got my slot I had already done a shop in my basket so it was just a case of quickly checking out.

Not sure if that would work but worth a try next time if you ever manage to get another slot.

So i finally managed to get a tesco delivery slot of the 22nd April (3 weeks away :().

How do additional deliveries work now? Am i able to order again for say next week (if a slot pops up), or do i have to wait until the delivery on the 22nd has been delivered before other slots will open up?

You can book other slots if you can find them. I've noticed that Tesco seem to release a few more in the afternoon around 3/4pm. They're limited in numbers and only for the next day so I assume they're cancellations.

Before I got my slot I had already done a shop in my basket so it was just a case of quickly checking out.

Not sure if that would work but worth a try next time if you ever manage to get another slot.

I did the same on Tuesday night. I'd put my shop in the basket during the day so that I was as ready as possible. Went onto the website at 11:55pm to join the queue, got my turn just after 12:10am and was checked out by 12:15am.

Ah brilliant thanks for confirming.

I wanted to get a bit of a routine going so we could have one every week going forward, it's not for ourselves, it's for the wife's parents who have to isolate for 3 months. It gives them a little bit of independence of being able to order what they want, rather than us having to go to the supermarket and getting items for them (had a few issues buying for them as we were hitting the max allowed on some items).

has anyone ordered from ASDA recently, i put a click and collect a few days ago for the (14th april), the email said i could amend up to 2 days before the date, but when i go to the order I only have the option to 'cancel' no amend button?

Tesco have just emailed me saying they won't be charging me for the delivery saver until the virus is over and they can guarantee more slots and a better service.

I'd happily continue to pay my monthly fee if they'd increase slots so I could actually get one when I need to 😂

Another rant so sorry in advance. LOL

Just took an order from an elderly woman for 5 items, 2 of which I know I don't have and doubt will be getting any time soon. Frankly when are some of these people going to take into consideration the time and cost to deliver these home deliveries especially when we are providing this service for free in these difficult times and actually order enough for the entire week than just a day or two.

Seriously debating whether to ring back and say I can't deliver such a small amount.

Another rant so sorry in advance. LOL

Just took an order from an elderly woman for 5 items, 2 of which I know I don't have and doubt will be getting any time soon. Frankly when are some of these people going to take into consideration the time and cost to deliver these home deliveries especially when we are providing this service for free in these difficult times and actually order enough for the entire week than just a day or two.

Seriously debating whether to ring back and say I can't deliver such a small amount.
Hi, what do you mean don't have? What do you do? Thanks

Hi, what do you mean don't have? What do you do? Thanks

Hand soap and hand sanitizer, the latter I have been able to secure a shipment from a Scottish brewery (of all places).

@simonblue you comments are much appreciated, as a small supermarket we as a community are doing our very best and replies we are seeing on our facebook page is comments that we are actually beating the big boys for getting more items in stock.

Support your local shop keeper, they are bending over backwards to source the stock for you and welcome your custom in these difficult times more than ever. :smashin:

Hand soap and hand sanitizer, the latter I have been able to secure a shipment from a Scottish brewery (of all places).

@simonblue you comments are much appreciated, as a small supermarket we as a community are doing our very best and replies we are seeing on our facebook page is comments that we are actually beating the big boys for getting more items in stock.

Support your local shop keeper, they are bending over backwards to source the stock for you and welcome your custom in these difficult times more than ever. :smashin:

I have always tried to support my little shopkeepers,and they done the same for me,as i said much better than the big supermarkets.
Hope everything goes well for you,and thanks for keeping up the good work :smashin:

I've always tried to support my local shop and when I couldn't get a Tesco delivery I went onto their new app.

It was £5 delivery no matter what value the order came to - I don't mind a delivery cost but they're only a mile down the road, £2.10 for a standard white loaf, £1.95 for a 4 pint of milk and £4 for a small block of cheese, needless to say I didn't bother checking out my order.

I know their prices were always higher than the local supermarket and expect them to be but the new markups are a joke and after the lockdown I probably won't bother supporting my local shop anymore which is a shame :(

^This is unfortunate, some other local shops in our area who offer a delivery service usually request a minimum purchase in value before delivering but in these difficult times we personally have got together with our local council to offer a free delivery service. Maybe others on here should be contacting your local council to see if they too would consider such a thing.

I regularly use my local farm shop and greengrocer anyway so I'm just carrying on as normal with them. They are more expensive, but they're also better quality in my opinion. I also like supporting the little guys. They both charge £5 for delivery, but they haven't put their prices up and goods can still be collected for free.

^This is unfortunate, some other local shops in our area who offer a delivery service usually request a minimum purchase in value before delivering but in these difficult times we personally have got together with our local council to offer a free delivery service. Maybe others on here should be contacting your local council to see if they too would consider such a thing.
I don't mind the delivery fee so much as they are doing me the favour and delivering, it was more the markup on prices since the virus, bread used to be £1.40 at most from there so it's a big markup on top of a delivery fee.

Full credit to yourself and your shop for offering the free delivery service, if you wanna deliver to me down the bottom of the country let me know :D

I regularly use my local farm shop and greengrocer anyway so I'm just carrying on as normal with them. They are more expensive, but they're also better quality in my opinion. I also like supporting the little guys. They both charge £5 for delivery, but they haven't put their prices up and goods can still be collected for free.

I think with a minimum order of say £40 no one needs to charge for a delivery if under 2 miles radius.

Believe it or not we are continuously offered the stuff the country are in short supply but at prices which are simply ridiculous and plain highway robbery so needless to say we tell them no thankyou. How anyone can chose to try and make a killing when the country is in the state it is baggers belief.:mad:

order enough for the entire week than just a day or two.
Lol, that rings a bell. Some old folk are just phenomenally stubborn.

My wife's great uncle, the one 75 miles away who we order Tesco delivery for is fine. He is remarkably sensible and well balanced for an 88 year old.

My wife's aunt though, only 69 but as "thran" (as they say around here) as they come.

Won't keep a loaf of bread more than 2 days because she insists it is stale. But also won't buy a small loaf rather than the full size.

The result is that she chucks a load of bread out every other day for the birds and then insists that someone goes to get more for her.

We've been doing her shopping for her rather than her having to go out, so we've been trying to get her to stock up - no chance. Still will only get a litre of milk at a time, and one doomed-to-the-birds loaf of bread.

Her idea of stocking up was to get 3 tins of soup.

If the Covid doesn't kill her, her family might...

has anyone ordered from ASDA recently, i put a click and collect a few days ago for the (14th april), the email said i could amend up to 2 days before the date, but when i go to the order I only have the option to 'cancel' no amend button?
Asda rules have changed sometime in the last 48 hours or so to help them manage demand....somehow??
You can now only amend in the 2 days before delivery and they ask you only amend once.
So you can amend your order from the 12th up to 10pm on the 13th if I’m reading it right.
I‘ve got a delivery due on the 6th, and wasn’t expecting this, so I’ll be testing the rules on Saturday. Hopefully the amend button will appear then or I will be getting 8 pints of milk I no longer need.

Asda rules have changed sometime in the last 48 hours or so to help them manage demand....somehow??
You can now only amend in the 2 days before delivery and they ask you only amend once.
So you can amend your order from the 12th up to 10pm on the 13th if I’m reading it right.
I‘ve got a delivery due on the 6th, and wasn’t expecting this, so I’ll be testing the rules on Saturday. Hopefully the amend button will appear then or I will be getting 8 pints of milk I no longer need.

This is all due the increased sales causing more demand on how they manage their warehouses. We are in the same boat, our orders were order day 1 for delivery day 3 but since the crisis this has steadily been push back to now day 5.

You might have already noticed less range from brands especially bread and meats, well this is continuing into frozen too. People continue to stock pile with no end of this behaviour in sight. I’m not saying there isn’t some shortages on certain items but now the majority of issue are caused by increased sales above everything else.

This is all due the increased sales causing more demand on how they manage their warehouses. We are in the same boat, our orders were order day 1 for delivery day 3 but since the crisis this has steadily been push back to now day 5.

You might have already noticed less range from brands especially bread and meats, well this is continuing into frozen too. People continue to stock pile with no end of this behaviour in sight. I’m not saying there isn’t some shortages on certain items but now the majority of issue are caused by increased sales above everything else.
Understood. Thanks.
I’ve no problem with it as such apart from the almost inevitable “I know what we forgot” moments, but if it genuinely helps them to maintain or improves things long term it’s all good. We just have to try harder to get it right first time or get used to waiting for the next delivery when our own incompetence lets us down.
All that matters at the moment is that we have enough to eat. What we eat is unimportant really.

I haven’t read through this whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned but there is an app called beelivery that deliver within 45 mins to 1 hour 30 mins. They are more expensive than supermarkets (always have been) but will basically get your list, a driver accepts and then s/he will go around local shops and get what is on your list.

It’s not ideal but it is ok for essentials like fresh fruits, veg and the basics for at risk groups. They do have a social distancing policy where the driver will drop the bags at your door, knock/ ring door bell, step back and wait for you to open the door (they require the pin you were sent to complete the transaction).

Ah thank you, that helps! Now i just have to remember to amend in 10 days!

Have a delivery coming tomorrow but nothing booked after that.
Every service I've tried now has no slots for weeks.

I don't fancy going out as I have an 86 year old at home, but don't see any other option.

It is still hard for people to get deliveries sorted.
My dad has had Ocado deliveries booked weeks in advance, he always has a Sunday morning slot and has done for years. Yesterday though Ocado cancelled all his future slots because he isn't vulnerable enough. He's got diabetes and isn't mobile enough to walk around a supermarket, but those aren't on the government's list of vulnerable people. So now I've got to do some shopping for him because my GP has decided my asthma isn't severe enough for me to be on the government list either.
This whole system is a farce.

Asda have now decided to only offer slots 7 days in advance. I can’t imagine there is any chance of getting one.
With the restrictions on amending orders as well, it seems like they are struggling to cope.
Both of us are vulnerable because of age if nothing else and I’m concerned my safety blanket of recurring slots could be next to be hit, particularly as @Miss Mandy has already suffered.
I don’t mind admitting that doing a normal supermarket shop will scare me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom