If supermarkets have no delivery slots for weeks, how are people supposed to self isolate?

I needed to go Tesco today as today was food shop day anyway and roads seemed a little quieter but not by much, Tesco superstore had people in it but not that many but almost all items back in stock, limited milk, eggs and no flour but plenty of toilet roll lol

Exactly why I had to go there, tried everything last few days to find a click and collect slot or delivery but nothing, and after last night couldn't even get on any websites.

I live alone and am self isolating, my dad lives in a remote village and is self isolating and ironically neither of us can help the other and although Sainsburys now recognise him as being elederly and vulnerable I'm not in that position, tried doing an online order and first delivery date is 2nd April, I submitted my order on the 14th March, crazy days indeed.

Try Amazon Now. They don't have slots and were still saying they could get bottle of gin to me in 2 hours. Not actually tried it but the site is up.

Tried Amazon, been saying no slots available for me for the last week.

Sadly, even the Sainsburies 'we will support elderly and vulnerable' is a massive failure.

For example, its been on my delivery notes since I started shopping with them ten years ago that I have to have the delivery guy bring the shopping up the stairs being a disabled resident etc.

They 'identified' me as being not in a position to be added to the list for priority home delivery. It also says if we got it wrong 'call us'.

Currently, I have tried to call 214 times since Monday according to my iPhone, constant engaged tone, or at times when I do get through there is an automated message saying 'we cannot connect you to one of our agents right now'.

Yet again, the fridge is running empty and I have not been able to secure any delivery slots in the next three weeks.

All good fun.

Sadly, even the Sainsburies 'we will support elderly and vulnerable' is a massive failure.

For example, its been on my delivery notes since I started shopping with them ten years ago that I have to have the delivery guy bring the shopping up the stairs being a disabled resident etc.

They 'identified' me as being not in a position to be added to the list for priority home delivery. It also says if we got it wrong 'call us'.

Currently, I have tried to call 214 times since Monday according to my iPhone, constant engaged tone, or at times when I do get through there is an automated message saying 'we cannot connect you to one of our agents right now'.

Yet again, the fridge is running empty and I have not been able to secure any delivery slots in the next three weeks.

All good fun.

I've been trying to speak to someone since yesterday morning too for my mum. What I don't understand is if no-one can get through, why are the lines always busy? I never even get the option to hold.

Once this is over not going to bother with them online again. Will use the other stores for my mum. Will pop to the local store tomorrow and see what they've got, don't need much for her just the staple stuff.

Is there no-one who can pop to the local shops and help you in your case?

I've been trying to speak to someone since yesterday morning too for my mum. What I don't understand is if no-one can get through, why are the lines always busy? I never even get the option to hold.

Once this is over not going to bother with them online again. Will use the other stores for my mum. Will pop to the local store tomorrow and see what they've got, don't need much for her just the staple stuff.

Is there no-one who can pop to the local shops and help you in your case?

I think they have pretty much 'taken the phone' off the hook. Considering they 'ask you to call them', its pretty callous. I won't be shopping with them again, they've taken approx

£90 x 52 weeks x 10 years

around £46k off me (average) so they can go fudge themselves!

Thanks for your thoughts, I don't have any help, but I'll figure it out.

I think they have pretty much 'taken the phone' off the hook. Considering they 'ask you to call them', its pretty callous. I won't be shopping with them again, they've taken approx

£90 x 52 weeks x 10 years

around £46k off me (average) so they can go fudge themselves!

Thanks for your thoughts, I don't have any help, but I'll figure it out.

Well I'm hoping you have friends or neighbours who could get you some supplies, or maybe you could find a local charity/group from the net that is offering help for those on their own?

Well I'm hoping you have friends or neighbours who could get you some supplies, or maybe you could find a local charity/group from the net that is offering help for those on their own?

I try not to bother people, plenty people worse off than me who need the help.

I try not to bother people, plenty people worse off than me who need the help.

That's a nice sentiment, but it doesn't sound like you're in the most able of positions. No harm in asking for help in unprecedented times.

Your choice anyway of course.

All good fun.
That's not good at all ☹️

Indeed they did say that, but as I found out nothing is available to book however going to the shop today it was a lot quieter, how long it will stay like that is anyone's guess, when people start running out they will have no choice but to go out, slots that are becoming available are 3 weeks away, not sure about others but I definitely don't have 3 weeks of food in the house

Indeed they did say that, but as I found out nothing is available to book however going to the shop today it was a lot quieter, how long it will stay like that is anyone's guess, when people start running out they will have no choice but to go out, slots that are becoming available are 3 weeks away, not sure about others but I definitely don't have 3 weeks of food in the house

I am on the high risk list,not supposed to leave house,can't even get online with Tesco :(

That's the thing, Sainsburys saying they are doing more for elderly and at risk but then close new registrations!

Other places can't get a slot, bit of a mess to be honest

Morrisons have sussed it. At the moment beware of allegens for each item you recieve athough I can see them adapting and improving choice as time goes on.

£35 delivered next day to your door if you order before 3pm

Interesting...

Drastic as it sounds, shopping in the dead of night seems to work. My wife has secured delivery slots for Asda by logging on 4am. (Although the next delivery for us is now 14 days away....)

Also, Asda do a Delivery Pass where you are able to select a regular delivery slot. It cost £24 for 12 months. Not sure what we will get on the next delivery, couldn't order milk or eggs at the moment.

Drastic as it sounds, shopping in the dead of night seems to work. My wife has secured delivery slots for Asda by logging on 4am. (Although the next delivery for us is now 14 days away....)

Also, Asda do a Delivery Pass where you are able to select a regular delivery slot. It cost £24 for 12 months. Not sure what we will get on the next delivery, couldn't order milk or eggs at the moment.
4am, ouch. I’m not sleeping well anyway, waking at 4 sounds horrific.
I have delivery pass with a regular slots booked, but unless I can get on the site I can’t order anything so the slots are useless.
Hopefully it will calm down soon.
It was all fine until the lockdown was announced, now I’m constantly getting this
55F2F80C-8F0C-46EE-B1C2-41C34E26971C.png

Edit: the website just started working normally. Order placed.....phew! I can relax for now and see whether it keeps working.

Last edited:
Went on Ocado's website. Was in a queue of 20000 people but eventually got me into their website.
Amazed to see a single slot for delivery tomorrow at 9pm. So grabbed it.

They don't have much stock of course, but managed to get the essentials.

Went on Ocado's website. Was in a queue of 20000 people but eventually got me into their website.
Amazed to see a single slot for delivery tomorrow at 9pm. So grabbed it.

They don't have much stock of course, but managed to get the essentials.
Ooh, I'll try now then and hope I'm lucky like you!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom