If supermarkets have no delivery slots for weeks, how are people supposed to self isolate?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Doesn't seem possible to self isolate if people can't get deliveries for so long.
Ridiculous situation.

I have no relatives or family near me :-( will have to rely on some villagers to help with my essentials
We provide that service for our village. A deal has been made with supermarkets we have been provided with ID cards so we are allowed to buy multiple items for our vulnerable neighbours.

We provide that service for our village. A deal has been made with supermarkets we have been provided with ID cards so we are allowed to buy multiple items for our vulnerable neighbours.
That’s good to hear.
Several restaurants, farm shops and village shops in our area are saying they will do the same sort of thing.
We don't need it as things stand, but it’s reassuring to know that help is a phone call away if we do run out of food.

How was that arranged as I'm shopping for a couple of elderly locals who have self-isolated. Nobody around here seems to be doing it on any scale and possibly I can rope in a few others.

How are you taking payment on a larger scale, especially safely, and how are they going to get cash longer term?
I like to be generous but I can't buy everyone's shopping.

I think it is the least anyone can do. To be fair we did that regardless Coronavirus anyway to help out some of our elderly neighbours. I've always been happy to provide free lifts to the hospital and the likes anyway (we live out of the way a little bit so if you can't drive it is very hard to get around), and my wife and youngest daughter regularly go-round for just a chat and some tea. That has now stopped but we do it via the phone. Even 'grumpy git yours truly' phones around pro-actively to make certain all are fine. We do that (and when I say we I mean the Village response group) as many don't want to be a bother to others and would rather not call upon help.

It is nice to see other areas doing the same. Whilst we hear a lot of 'nasty' stories, I'm confident there are lots more nice stories, you just don't hear about it on the news.

Unfortunately, I can't look after my parents; need to drive through four countries and the Belgium border to their house is guarded and locked. But I'm pleased that their village is looking after them as well.

How was that arranged as I'm shopping for a couple of elderly locals who have self-isolated.
A number of local services have come together. I was alerted to the coordinated effort of the Coronavirus Response Group through my membership with a Neighbourhood watch. But the parishes of three local villages got together with several of the active groups; they consolidated their registers of people we normally watch out for. Then together with the council and police and local supermarkets, they set up this scheme. Preference is given to volunteers who have some form of security clearance or at least a valid DBS check in place. This is also registered.

Our local lead coordinator is a lady who has an events business, but as she has no business anymore she took the bull by the horn and got a lot organised quickly, and used her staff to help as well. Absolutely fantastic to see how different teams come together.

For the non vulnerable without any local friends or family, who are supposed to not go out, and have no food and no supermarket delivery slots any time soon, what’s the answer?

For the non vulnerable without any local friends or family, who are supposed to not go out, and have no food and no supermarket delivery slots any time soon, what’s the answer?
Perhaps it is a language thing but, if you are 'supposed to not go out' then I'd class those into the vulnerable group as well. Surely the same thing applies. I wouldn't make any distinction there.

My family has been told to self isolate for upto 12 weeks due to my wife's health which is all fine and good if I could get an online slot for delivery with a local supermarket.

All of them are fully booked until 12th April and not showing any dates after that.. I also went through the list of my usual items and around 85% of them were not available anyway, the selfish buying is getting beyond a joke now.

Iceland have a question when you log in asking if you're a vulnerable customer and to click yes or no.... As if people are going to click no..

I'm not sure how they can make online ordering easier for the people that need it but if there's a lock down for everyone I can't see it getting any easier for people who need to order online.

all these places that are closing, greggs, kfc, Macdonald's, and many other food retailers, etc.. or anywhere that sells food, surely they have unsold stock left... Macdonald's have said theyll work with community groups to distribute.. what about the unsold food in all the other 'closed' businesses..

Subway, also closing today have said the same, distribute remaining food locally.

all these places that are closing, greggs, kfc, Macdonald's, and many other food retailers, etc.. or anywhere that sells food, surely they have unsold stock left... Macdonald's have said theyll work with community groups to distribute.. what about the unsold food in all the other 'closed' businesses..
KFC have said they'll work with the charities they already give food to.

My family has been told to self isolate for upto 12 weeks due to my wife's health which is all fine and good if I could get an online slot for delivery with a local supermarket.

All of them are fully booked until 12th April and not showing any dates after that.. I also went through the list of my usual items and around 85% of them were not available anyway, the selfish buying is getting beyond a joke now.

Iceland have a question when you log in asking if you're a vulnerable customer and to click yes or no.... As if people are going to click no..

I'm not sure how they can make online ordering easier for the people that need it but if there's a lock down for everyone I can't see it getting any easier for people who need to order online.

I'm in the same boat with my mum.

Sainsbury's are apparently prioritising vulnerable customers, but you have to register that with them and guess what? You can't get through. Been trying on and off all day.

Everywhere else booked up till April 12th. I can't even do a collection either.

I had a whole pile of Tesco delivery slots saved in advance from when I was self-isolated. I don't really want to catch it again by going to the supermarkets etc but I'm going to cancel them all as there are others in greater need.

Yeah I've got to chance it in order to get stuff for her. She can't go out now.

Waiting to see what this mystery letter brings in the next day or two, but I'm not holding out much hope on that to be honest.

I have also found that getting a delivery or even Click and Collect is impossible with Tesco , Asda , Morrisson , Sainsbury .. my one piece of luck has been to start using Ocado prior to the crisis and managed to book a delivery slot.. but with a greatly reduced choice.

No slots available on Tesco now, I've been using them for 15 years but I guess you snooze, you lose :(

My parents have access to a local food supplier, which used to supply schools, if I got them to order me some items would I be ok to travel to them to pick it up? Obviously not going in to see them...

Wouldn't worry mate, haven't been any slots for a long time, shortly after that announcements tonight some of the stores websites 404'ed. Stupid expecting people to be able to click and collect when the shear amount of people wanting to was always going to overwhelm availability.

Wouldn't worry mate, haven't been any slots for a long time, shortly after that announcements tonight some of the stores websites 404'ed. Stupid expecting people to be able to click and collect when the shear amount of people wanting to was always going to overwhelm availability.

Exactly, and it doesn't help when all you hear from radio and TV interviews people telling you to shop online.

Yes that's the problem I have found, even the pm tonight saying shop online "if you can", I thought chance would be a fine thing :)

All just demonstrates just how divorced from the real world our "leaders" are.

I won't be at all surprised if their next suggestion for solving the food shortage is "Let them eat cake." :(

I see Tesco proudly proclaiming their priority shopping times for the vulnerable, but still giving the plague of locusts a three hour head start...

Saw small food delivery trucks on the roads. It will probably take time to ramp up more drivers and vehicles.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom