Quantcast

If supermarkets have no delivery slots for weeks, how are people supposed to self isolate?

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
get essentials from local shops, plus it helps them.
i went for a walk yesterday and pop'd into local store, the stores are observing social distancing.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Well I gotta brave the supermarket today because my mum needs some staple stuff. Plus it will help with her mental health as she is getting anxious about not having any food, and still upset about not being able to visit my old man.

WeeScottishLass

do you have the virus, not sure if you have commented on this before

hopefully someone can assist with safely getting groceries to you
No but I've been told by my Dr that I'm in the vulnerable group so must isolate for the 12 weeks to protect myself and others.

I do have enough groceries to last for a while but just feel alarmed at what will happen when I start to run out and at the moment can't get a slot!!

But thank you- my mental health worker sent me a link yesterday and my CPN have now, just sent me some links for deliveries from grocery type places so I'll try them.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Morrisons have sussed it. At the moment beware of allegens for each item you recieve athough I can see them adapting and improving choice as time goes on.

£35 delivered next day to your door if you order before 3pm

That’s fantastic if all big supermarkets started doing this it would ease the burden and also make sure those in need got essentials. Well done Morrisons!

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
High risk / 12 weeks here as well. No delivery or click & collect slots at Asda or Sainsbury's so my wife has to go and shop instore. If she ends up with it we'll be buggered :(

Luminated67

As an Independent supermarket owner I genuinely don't think anyone outside of the business can fully comprehend the pressure the staff and ourselves and the industry as a whole are currently under. Just using ourselves as an example and I am sure the same is true for all the rest, we are currently down between 10-15% of staff either through choosing to self-isolation because they don’t feel comfortable of the risks or due to underlining conditions have had to self isolation yet are doing more than 150% normal trade and now all the major fast food chains have chosen to shut up shop too which is putting even more pressure on to the last defence that is the supermarkets. No business can cope in such situations, certainly not for sustained periods as is the case at the moment.

I have been in this industry for more than 35 years and I have never experienced the kind of stress and fear for not only myself but every one of my brave staff who continue to come in to work and stock and service the public. And I might add we are the sole industry that the government has told we are not allowed to close our doors.

The demand for home deliveries has increase in some cases fifty fold because even normal people who are social distancing and self isolating are choosing to use this service that in these times should be solely be used by the elderly and those that are high risk and our NHS staff.

I urge all ordinary people stop using these services, the government allows you to go out to buy food but before you go to do your weekly shop think of your elderly neighbour and give them a call to see if they need some groceries too, we are all in this together and only as a community can we get through this.

richp007

Distinguished Member
High risk / 12 weeks here as well. No delivery or click & collect slots at Asda or Sainsbury's so my wife has to go and shop instore. If she ends up with it we'll be buggered :(
Have you seen this? Worth registering if it might help you.

Luminated67

I can only speak for ourselves but the only phone calls we have been taking this last week has been for home deliveries so we approached our local counsel if they had anything put in place for the elderly and high risk, 24 hrs later our prayers have been answered as their staff are going to collect groceries from ourselves and other independents and do the delivery service for us all.

Maybe everyone should ring the local counsel in their area and see if they are doing such a thing and if not why not.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
My wife has an uncle aged 88, lives alone. Deaf as a post. 75 miles away from the nearest family (us).

We have been organising a Tesco home delivery for him since the death of his friend and carer a few months back.

Now we can't do that because every day we check for delivery slots, they are gone.

I went online at 6am today to try and catch the date being opened up and still nothing possible for 3 weeks.

He has a delivery booked for the 30th March and 6th of April. Beyond that, who knows.

Tried to register for Sainsburys to see if they were any better, they're not accepting new accounts!

Ste7en

Distinguished Member

Yeah, I filled that out. None of it seemed relevant. My wife can go out and pick stuff up for us.

My concern is if she ends up getting it there seems little point in me not going out for 12 weeks.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Asda have adopted a 'one in one out' policy. Everyone two metres apart.

Seems good but they tried to separate my wife and daughter, who went together because they were buying for a couple of neighbours.

Luminated67

Asda have adopted a 'one in one out' policy. Everyone two metres apart.

Seems good but they tried to separate my wife and daughter, who went together because they were buying for a couple of neighbours.
If you think about it, a large store by one of the big boys using these guide lines would mean a limit of 250-300 people and if everyone came in as a couple this would drop by half, the whole object here is to get everyone food, we have all adopted this policy but to be honest with you the message isn't really getting through. No one wants to tell anyone to do this but we are all living in difficult times and everything being suggested and policed is for everyone's safety including staff.

I know its frustrating but the staff are being told to follow the letter of the law here and reacting to fear.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I know, it makes perfect sense and it does seem to work well. If slowly, but that is a minor sacrifice.

The two metre rule is applied on the way in and at the tills, but my wife said that there were still people dithering in the middle of an aisle looking at stuff, rather than stand to one side. I've never understood why people stand in the centre of aisles.

The last time I was in a supermarket I used my trolley as a spacer behind me at the tills. The people behind me weren't impressed, tough.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
I know, it makes perfect sense and it does seem to work well. If slowly, but that is a minor sacrifice.

The two metre rule is applied on the way in and at the tills, but my wife said that there were still people dithering in the middle of an aisle looking at stuff, rather than stand to one side. I've never understood why people stand in the centre of aisles.

The last time I was in a supermarket I used my trolley as a spacer behind me at the tills. The people behind me weren't impressed, tough.
I’ve never understood that either.
In happier days I always seemed to come across those who bumped into friends and stopped for a chat right in front the shelves I wanted to pick things up from. Would they move, no, not a chance, their chat was far more important than being considerate.
Good use of a trolley by the way. Well done.

Luminated67

I’ve never understood that either.
In happier days I always seemed to come across those who bumped into friends and stopped for a chat right in front the shelves I wanted to pick things up from. Would they move, no, not a chance, their chat was far more important than being considerate.
Good use of a trolley by the way. Well done.
This chatting in the isles is something we are all experiencing at the moment, the older generations because old habits are hard to break. I must admit we are saying to them in the politest of ways to move along and generally we don’t get any dirty looks but everyone is uptight at the moment and for good reason.

It will start at some point soon but community spirit will kick in, at our darkest hour the human spirit is at its strongest.

Stay safe everyone.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
This chatting in the isles is something we are all experiencing at the moment, the older generations because old habits are hard to break. I must admit we are saying to them in the politest of ways to move along and generally we don’t get any dirty looks but everyone is uptight at the moment and for good reason.

It will start at some point soon but community spirit will kick in, at our darkest hour the human spirit is at its strongest.

Stay safe everyone.
Community spirit is in full swing here I’m delighted to say.
We have more offers of help than we know what to do with. We are sharing our supermarket delivery slots with neighbours as and when needed. Between us we are determined get through this.
In our little part of the world life is different, but in some ways better than before. Social distancing is strictly observed by everyone with no prompting ever necessary.
A previously friendly community has turned into a self help group pulling together in tough times and it has all happened since the lockdown started.
It really is wonderful to be part of it and gives me a real sense of optimism.

edz

Afternoon all, I hope we're all staying safe.

I had to venture out for the first time in a week for essentials (we're not in any kind of at risk group). Mrs E stayed at home. I went to Aldi nearby with my own bag that had been disinfected beforehand.

Respectful behaviour everyone keeping distances, Shopping went into my bag then well distanced at the tills back onto the conveyor back contact less payment then shopping back into the bag.

Customers being respectful of the employees and others, could have done without someone walking along shouting into their mobile on speakerphone but otherwise calm. Only thing I couldn't get was hand soap, went to the nearby Tesco express and got some (1 bottle) there they had more on the shelves. No evidence of anyone stocking up just normal shops to try to get through as many days as they could. Stock seemed ok, as I say no soap in Aldi, no flour but lots of fresh veg, fruit, meat etc.

According to the woman on the tills most people seem to be calming down, only issue is a great many pensioners are still coming in daily or multiple times per day for one or two things and then stopping and talking to each other or, in a couple of cases, getting very abusive when staff tell them something isn't in stock or when they are politely asked not to stop in the isles to talk, imagine its difficult as its probably the point of their day when they get to see other people though.

Very quiet, some traffic on the main arterial roads (I walked as it's less than a mile) very few people on the pavements maybe 3 adults one guy with a pram, everyone respectful of distance and quite subdued.

No evidence of any panic or hoarding unless it was much earlier in the day.

As I say an odd experience I'll remember for a while.

pantages

I had a home delivery from Tesco last Monday and another booked for next Friday. You have to persevere and keep checking their website for vacant slots, especially in the early morning.

Latest News

TV shipment forecasts slashed for Q2 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Display to quit LCD production
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony XH81, XH80 and X70 TVs now available in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TV sales rise as UK stays home
  • By Andy Bassett