1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Sky card reverts to FTV when cancelled, why are Sky charging £20 for a FTV card???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MAD ANDY, Jul 31, 2005.

1. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I phoned Sky about cancelling and was told I could get Freesat by phoning another number, so phoned them and I specifically told the lady on the phone that I already had a subscription to Sky and that I was cancelling for Freesat, and she told me all about the £20 card and how I would have to remove my current card, insert the freesat card and then phone them to activate it...

but why? if the standard card automatically reverts to the Freesat FTV card when cancelled??? Even the www.freesatfromsky.com website states:

No mention of being able to use your existing card!

Is this just another blatant rip off, charging for a card you dont need because you already have one which will do the same job!!!

I have read several times on here that you dont need to change, I've also read you do. My issue is, I dont want to cancel then after 30 days have no TV at all because it didnt work then have to wait 7 days for a card to arrive in the post, equally I dont want to pay Sky £20 for a card I already have!

If someone could confirm with a concrete answer, from knowledge or experience that would be most appreciated!

cheers

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    My Sky viewing card didn't pick up free view channels after my subscription was cancelled - I tried it. I had to buy a free sat card.

Essentially if it did work then what would be the point of free sat cards ;) .

3. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Thats odd we cancelled our Sky subscription some time ago before Sky launched Freesat and our existing card is acting like a FTV card. With all the free channels excluding E4.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Mine is quite an old card - about 3-4 years old so not sure if that affects it? Can't see the point of freesat though if peoples existing cards still work.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on what you mean by "Free Sat", because there's two levels of Free Sat in the UK.....

You can receive BBC1, BBC2, News24, BBC Three, BBC Four and Sky News with no card at all. These channels are not encrypted, and you don't even need a Sky box to receive them - any digital receiver will pick them up. There are also a lot of other un-encrypted channels. However, ITV, ITV2, ITV3, C4 and Channel 5 (although free of subscription) are encrypted, and require a Free Sat card and a Sky box to watch them.

6. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've cancelled Sky twice in the last couple of years and continue to get all those programmes mentioned with my old blue card without any problems.

Martin

7. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you have a TV with built in free view does this mean that you wont be able to get the channels that are encrypted?? like ITV, ITV2, ITV3 etc, or is this only for people using there sky box??

8. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My freeview box gets all those channels (as does my Sky box) and also a friend who has just purchased a digital tv gets all those as well.

I think Nick was referring to receiving a signal via your Sky box.

Martin

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Not sure why it didn't work but perhaps was it one of the first generation cards, not sure when you cancelled:)

"Freesat" is just a marketing name for the FTA and FTV channels a SKY digibox can pickup when used with a "freesat" card or ex-subscription smartcard.

A non-subscription package (£150 all in) was more or less forced on SKY by the regualtor after broadcasters who covered the cost of issuing the first FTV cards objected to their payments subsidising SKY's commercial business.

There were around 600,000 FTV cards issued so certainly a major market for non subscribers and I believe there are now around 200,000 "freesat" households. Freesat being a viable alternative to subscripion telly in areas of the country that are not covered by cable or DTT and that is still quite a large segment.
    SKY cover the costs of issuing a non-subscription smartcard by charging £20 which also includes a free replacement IF the encryption changes within 3 years.

10. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh right, thanks Martin
    Gemma :)

11. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem Gemma, glad I can be of help with my limited knowledge.

Regards,

Martin

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    My sky box works perfectly as a freeview with my old subscription sky card in itt

13. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Starburst

cheers again for your reply on this topic, I think I'll cancel and see how we go then. I have had Sky Digital for over 5 years now, although I'm sure since moving in to my new home less than 2 years ago that we received a new card at some point in the post to update the old with, so will cancel and report back as to how we went on, although the missus desperately wants E4 and Living, and even with Freeview we still wouldnt get Living DOH!

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

You would have, SKY changed the encryption a couple of years(ish) ago and all existing subscribers got a new card.

Under the new pricing structure you could get E4 and Living for £15 a month with one additional mix package, cheaper than the current prices but price could be a reason you are cancelling:)

SKY are not adverse to offering cut price short term deals to retain your custom, might be worth taking advantage of one if offered if it keeps the missus happy for a few months and then buy her a kick ass christmas prezzy and then cancel:)