• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

If setanta collapses...

deadhac

...do i have a right, or am i able to, cancel my virgin XL television package as setanta is the main reason that i got that package and they are no longer supplying the service laid out in our contract?

VinnyP!

...do i have a right, or am i able to, cancel my virgin XL television package as setanta is the main reason that i got that package and they are no longer supplying the service laid out in our contract?

The answer is possibly ;) It depends on whether the loss of them is deemed "significant".
Some services (for example, television channels that form part of our television services and Virgin Media Entertainment's premium television services) are supplied by other organisations. As a result, due to matters outside our and/or Virgin Media Entertainment's reasonable control or for commercial or contractual reasons, either Virgin Media Ltd or Virgin Media Entertainment may change all or any programming, programming services, channel allocations and channels, or cancel, postpone or alter the details of any advertised Pay-Per-View or programmes on demand or interactive services without notice, but giving you reasonable notice of any withdrawals and changes where it is possible to do so. You will be entitled to end these agreements if the changes are significant, as described in paragraph J5.

markymark34

i think i will probably go down the what can you offer me route. I dont have sky sports so possibly a better deal there would do.

looks like setanta are definatley going.

The more people that phone the better!

Vini

More importantly for me, if sultana goes under, will I still get ESPN America.

I guess, if ESPN buy it, there's a chance I may get more than just one ESPN channel. If only...

deadhac

I guess im just looking for a way out of my overpriced virgin contract, i will probably try to negotiate a new deal or package with them. I only have a cable line into my house through so i am quite limited in my choices of provider

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd rather they reduce the price I pay for the XL package. I don't watch Setanta and never have, but suspect I'm subsidising those who do???

BT Vision suspended any further sales of Setanta Sports today:

We are closely monitoring the situation with regard to the current position of Setanta Sports …

As a precaution we have currently suspended any further sales of Setanta Sports from this morning.

BSkyB refused a £50m lifeline to the Irish pay-TV operator yesterday.

Sky's chief executive Jeremy Darroch said:

Our job is not to fund other companies. We have been talking to Setanta, and trying to work with them and help them.

'At the end of the day we are not a bank, we are a broadcaster, not a supplier of working capital to a business and rights holder. This is a huge amount of money.

jonny72

i think i will probably go down the what can you offer me route. I dont have sky sports so possibly a better deal there would do.

I can't see you getting a better price for Sky Sports, the price is fixed and a large chunk of it goes directly to Sky.

Virgin will have to do something if they lose Setanta, at minimum it should be a discount equal to the money they pay Setanta for every XL customer.

But I don't reckon it will happen, if anything it will be good news. Most likely outcome appears to be ESPN buying Setanta, in which case there is a good chance all the ESPN channels will get bundled with XL.

jonny72

More importantly for me, if sultana goes under, will I still get ESPN America.

I guess, if ESPN buy it, there's a chance I may get more than just one ESPN channel. If only...

Are you on TV XL? How much extra do they charge for ESPN America?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I can't see you getting a better price for Sky Sports, the price is fixed and a large chunk of it goes directly to Sky.

Virgin will have to do something if they lose Setanta, at minimum it should be a discount equal to the money they pay Setanta for every XL customer.

But I don't reckon it will happen, if anything it will be good news. Most likely outcome appears to be ESPN buying Setanta, in which case there is a good chance all the ESPN channels will get bundled with XL.

Do you still think it such a good thing if those who don't want the additional sports content provided by the XL package still have to pay the say as those who do? Virgin promote the inclusion of Setanta as if it is free, but it obviously does reflect on the price any XL customer must pay for the XL package. Why doesn't VM reduce the price of the XL package and sell the sports package separately for the amount they reduce the XL package by?

XL customers are being forced to buy something even if they don't want it and it is being disguised as being for free and used as a gimmick to gain customers.

jonny72

XL customers are being forced to buy something even if they don't want it and it is being disguised as being for free and used as a gimmick to gain customers.

I doubt that the Setanta part of XL costs that much, I'd be surprised if Virgin were paying more than say £5 a customer - possibly even less than that.

But you can say the same thing about other channels in the XL package, I don't watch any of the MTV channels or a lot of the others but I still have to pay for them.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I doubt that the Setanta part of XL costs that much, I'd be surprised if Virgin were paying more than say £5 a customer - possibly even less than that.

But you can say the same thing about other channels in the XL package, I don't watch any of the MTV channels or a lot of the others but I still have to pay for them.

I don't care how much it adds, just don't think a customer who doesn't want it should have to subsidise those who do and pay for a VM marketing gimmick ;)

and yes I would say the same about some of the additional channels included with the XL package and they should also be made optional add-ons.

mouseymousey

I don't care how much it adds, just don't think a customer who doesn't want it should have to subsidise those who do and pay for a VM marketing gimmick ;)

and yes I would say the same about some of the additional channels included with the XL package and they should also be made optional add-ons.

So you just want a package that only only includes channels that you watch, with everything else being chargeable? That's not the way it works is it?

Also, Setanta is free with XL because I used to be on the XL package and paid £14.99 per month to get the Setanta pack as it included Racing UK. When Setanta started to be included in the XL package I no longer had to pay the extra £14.99 for it.

Anyway, looks like Setanta has got a decent chance of surviving now.

lee667

Distinguished Member
I don't think you'd be able to cancel it without paying some kind of charge unless you've been with them for a long time

dante01

Distinguished Member
So you just want a package that only only includes channels that you watch, with everything else being chargeable?

THe revenue that allows VM to supposedly offer it for free must come from somewhere. Setanta don't give it to VM for nothing. I was quite happy wil the L TV package, but the XL package is needed in order to access the additional VoD services and this is my only interest in relation to the XL package.

That's not the way it works is it?

No, but it should and there's no reason why it shouldn't. It is the same argument that has been put to SKY for as long as SKY has been in existence.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom