If Only I Could Decide

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tony6403, Nov 2, 2003.

1. tony6403

tony6403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be buying a DVD recorder before Christmas. I don't want to pay a vast amount and have tried to establish which machine would be ok. It seems to come down to the Panasonic DMR E30 or , having seen an advert in the Radio Times, the "new" JVC DR M1 .
    The Panasonic can be bought for approx. £245 using "Dealtime" the JVC is around £315.
    Any views would be greatly appreciated.
    ( or any other suggestions for another model )
    thanks in anticipation

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    The Panasonic DMR-E50 is the curent model and available for around £230. It's the bargain of the moment.

I've had both the Panasonic and the JVC and found the Panasonic to be much the better unit.
    Its easier to use and has much better socketry, and accepts an RGB input.

The only thing that may swing it the other way is if you need -RW which only the JVC is capable of.
    For me it wasn't important as I import the recordings from a RAM disc to my PC and create nicer menus on the PC. Then I simply re-burn the disc contents to -R.

The Panasonic would get my vote. The fact that it's over £100 cheaper is irrelavant. I'd buy it even if they were the same price.

3. tony6403

tony6403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your helpful comments Jules.
    Could you also please advise on which DVD writer I should buy to increase my options for record /playback on my PC . I have been told that the Pioneer 106 ( if I've got that right ) is a good buy.

kind regards

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I believe the LG burners do everything.

However, I've got an LG read only drive that reads the RAM discs, and a Pioneer 106 burner which is one of the best drives around.
    The Pioneer is available from SVP for £99, and you can pickup and LG DVD/CD-R drive for about half that.

All in, it would cost you about £150 which is less than many inferior drives on their own.

However the Pioneer 106 on its own does NOT read DVD RAM discs. So if you just want a single drive I'd look into an LG burner.

5. tony6403

tony6403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jules, thank you for the info. I'll go ahead and make the purchases. Might need some further guidance !

6. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a few differences to consider between the two.

The first is that the Panny has RGB in whereas the JVC doesn't and instead uses S-Video.

RGB is better quality than s-video and most sky boxes do not output in S-Video and therefore require a convertor which will add expense and not add to the quality of signal.

The second is that the JVC has progressive scan which means it deinterlaces dvd's and also any input signal. I'm not sure how good the deinterlacer is but it could give good pictures on a projector or plasma which would otherwise cost you at least a few hundred pounds for an off board one like a briteview or iScan.

An hcpc with capture card will also do the trick.

The third is that the jvc has -RW which can be recorded onto in video mode and then played on most other machines which is important if you like to lend people discs or have a second machine. They will both do this on write once -R discs.

Another good thing about the JVC is that when recording in a mode which gives more than 2hrs recording and less than 4hrs, it will digitize more lines of the signal ie about 400 lines compared to 288 on the panny. It also has a lot of fancy filters which are supposed to improve mpeg artifacts.

Other gimmicky features are animated thumbnails which show you a part of the recording when you select them. But on the down side the user interface has been labelled as garish.

Basically the JVC sjould easily have been the much better choice BUT the lack of RGB in cripples it in the UK market, expecially for Sky viewers.

Cheers,
    Cal.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    A word of warning about this. Whilst this process does indeed improve picture quality for the time bracket taken it also makes the files non-standard VR Mode. This could effect playback in VR capable players as well as VR programmes such as TMPG Enc Author. I haven't tried a JVC recording in such machines yet but, in theory, there should be problems.