If only BK which one?

I've got an xls200 DF and it does NOT have auto on/off.
Thanks for that, not a deal breaker but would have been nice to have.

Don't want to hijack the OP but the dilemma I still have is that this BK sub is a non ported design and if it will kick out enough deep bass and pair with my Elac DBR62 ref speakers, I couldn't get my Cambridge Minx to blend well at all with my speakers (on previous Yamaha amp) and it is also non ported but does have 2 passive radiators.

I also have an 8 inch Dual ported sub (from Creative megaworks 5.1) with my PC and it goes very deep and sounds pretty impressive, better than the Cambridge actually.

You could ask bk if they can fit the amp with auto on/off as used in the Double Gem and Platinum range.

I run dual Rel T/7i with my Aethos and love it. I tried both line and speaker level inputs for these subs (with a few other amps), but the speaker level just integrate and sounds better. As good as the Aethos is, I would get a sub with a high level input (just get Rels 😃 ) and inject some of that Aethos goodness into the subs.

I run dual Rel T/7i with my Aethos and love it. I tried both line and speaker level inputs for these subs (with a few other amps), but the speaker level just integrate and sounds better. As good as the Aethos is, I would get a sub with a high level input (just get Rels 😃 ) and inject some of that Aethos goodness into the subs.
what are your main speakers?

Do Rel do a down firing sub?

@Flobs I'd also have a look at a BK Double Gem. - It has 2x 10" drivers stacked in 1 slim cabinet, That can be positioned both horizontally and vertically.

Very keenly priced too!
Are you saying that you can lie them down on their sides?

The reason I started this thread was to find out if there were other down firing subs out there. You know subs I won't have to bother DIYing so they fullfill my requirements. Other than BK.
If there are no other manufacturers who do then which sub do forumites think would be best for my situation. The BK XXLS400 or Platinum P12 300SB (in DF configuration).
I have a little sub connected to my TV (and can not connect it to my stereo with out X-overs etc) which is DF and it is so easy to find the 'good spot', I have experimented with it put it on stools, on it's side, hung it from the ceiling ... and DF on the floor in specific spots is ideal (even if I raise it a few inches I loose that spot. So a stupid hunking sub with it's woofer at 50cm from the floor just will not work!

Simply: are there other DF subs?

I have no problem with BK in fact quite the opposite, I like them a lot, the problem I see is they are shipped from the UK (I live in France) so getting a sub that is retailed over here I see as an advantage if things go wrong.

Anyway it seems BK is the only option until I get round to making my own but having one, a sub that is, in the mean time that I don't have to butcher would be fantastic.

Thanks! :)

Hi mate I was also thinking of upgrading my Cambridge minx to a BK xls200 down fire for my 2 ch audio as it has the high level inputs, do you know if this sub turns on and off when it detects a signal like my cambridge, I couldn't see any info on this on their website.
Received my xls200 about ten days ago….so without going into gobbledygook speak, there is an on/off switch on the back plate, if in the on position and the movie/music has stopped then a few minutes later the sub goes into rest, indicated by a red light, however once you start spinning discs the green light comes on and ay presto, you have base!
Hope this helps
(I just turn mine off and on as required)

And I’m only using the LFE cable at the moment for both film and music and love it, tho I will be connecting the high input cable once Tom gets back to me with the answer to a question I posed!

Received my xls200 about ten days ago….so without going into gobbledygook speak, there is an on/off switch on the back plate, if in the on position and the movie/music has stopped then a few minutes later the sub goes into rest, indicated by a red light, however once you start spinning discs the green light comes on and ay presto, you have base!
Hope this helps
(I just turn mine off and on as required)

And I’m only using the LFE cable at the moment for both film and music and love it, tho I will be connecting the high input cable once Tom gets back to me with the answer to a question I posed!
How you getting on with your BK sub mate? I am still undecided if a sub will work with music and blend properly with my Elac speakers, I like the BK xls200mk2, it seems to have all the features I want (now has auto on/off feature) I don't have a lot of room so I need a small sub that is deep and punchy. I don't need stupid levels of power as I am in a building with other residents above, below and to the side.
I love the sound I get at the moment from my 2 ch stereo, but feel I just need that extra bit of low frequency.
I have tried a Cambridge Minx but it didn't blend very well and I just found the sound annoying so removed the Minx and used for TV.

How you getting on with your BK sub mate? I am still undecided if a sub will work with music and blend properly with my Elac speakers, I like the BK xls200mk2, it seems to have all the features I want (now has auto on/off feature) I don't have a lot of room so I need a small sub that is deep and punchy. I don't need stupid levels of power as I am in a building with other residents above, below and to the side.
I love the sound I get at the moment from my 2 ch stereo, but feel I just need that extra bit of low frequency.
I have tried a Cambridge Minx but it didn't blend very well and I just found the sound annoying so removed the Minx and used for TV.
I have always relied upon the 2 speaker set up, however I’ve always felt there was something missing so opted for the xls200, I must say I wish I had made the decision a lot earlier, the 200DF is so easy to integrate and making the base level adjustment is easy just turn the dial until the base sound feels balanced and natural….I have to give mine a little caress underneath just to make sure it is rumbling along nicely……even the wife can hear the difference when playing live concerts or films on the projector, I’m not a fan of bass led music, but this unit has opened up my ears to more detail in the music I listen to, I guess that’s because the sub is taking the weight of the base notes and allowing my speakers to concentrate on the detailing ….all in all, the sub has become the most important part of my system now and though there are many subs out their with bells and whistles, I’m just very happy to have this little unobtrusive yet highly capable beauty delivering the sound I am thoroughly enjoying…😁😁

I have always relied upon the 2 speaker set up, however I’ve always felt there was something missing so opted for the xls200, I must say I wish I had made the decision a lot earlier, the 200DF is so easy to integrate and making the base level adjustment is easy just turn the dial until the base sound feels balanced and natural….I have to give mine a little caress underneath just to make sure it is rumbling along nicely……even the wife can hear the difference when playing live concerts or films on the projector, I’m not a fan of bass led music, but this unit has opened up my ears to more detail in the music I listen to, I guess that’s because the sub is taking the weight of the base notes and allowing my speakers to concentrate on the detailing ….all in all, the sub has become the most important part of my system now and though there are many subs out their with bells and whistles, I’m just very happy to have this little unobtrusive yet highly capable beauty delivering the sound I am thoroughly enjoying…😁😁

Are you high passing the stereo speakers?

Are you high passing the stereo speakers?
I run a single LFE cable from the sub to my Cyrus, then changed the settings on my Cyrus to 2.1 and set the crossover at 80hz then let whatever processor is n he Cyrus to do the clever stuff, all I did was adjust the low freq gain on the sub!

I run a single LFE cable from the sub to my Cyrus, then changed the settings on my Cyrus to 2.1 and set the crossover at 80hz then let whatever processor is n he Cyrus to do the clever stuff, all I did was adjust the low freq gain on the sub!

Unless the Cyrus has bass managment the speakrs receive the same signal so the amp and speakers are working as hard as they used to be.

Unless the Cyrus has bass managment the speakrs receive the same signal so the amp and speakers are working as hard as they used to be.

The Lyric enables crossovers for the subwoofer and the speakers, these can be individually set. So, assume that both are set to 80Hz and he is reducing the work on the main speakers.

The Lyric enables crossovers for the subwoofer and the speakers, these can be individually set. So, assume that both are set to 80Hz and he is reducing the work on the main speakers.
That’s how I read it too…..I even contacted Cyrus and BK to confirm that the Cyrus would manage the bass frequency and let the Dynaudio pick up the mids and highs……

That’s how I read it too…..I even contacted Cyrus and BK to confirm that the Cyrus would manage the bass frequency and let the Dynaudio pick up the mids and highs……

It would be noticeable straight away. Enable bass management on the Cyrus, but switch the sub off.

Then play a bassy track. Then disable bass managment in the Cyrus play the same track again. One should be far less bassy from the speakers.

Ideally adjustable high pass would be desirable, say if you had much bigger speakers or small bookshelf.

You'll want to bypass the bk own crossover

I have this sub and I think it's perfect for what you have described. My bookshelf speakers aren't as good as yours but the sub makes a huge difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom