1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Jim could fix it for you....?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Dec 29, 2000.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi There,

If Jimmmy Saville, or whoever else, could fix it for you to own one film on DVD, in any format you like, with as many or few extras as you wanted, and as many versions of the same film, then what single title would you choose.

The following rules would need to apply:
    1) No series or trilogy's or anything like that, so Star Wars Trilogy is a no go, as is a complete set of Babylon 5, for example.
    2) The original cut, a director's cut and/or extended versions of the same title ARE allowed! e.g. Blade Runner (1982) with voiceover, and the 1991 Director's Cut.
    3) The film, itself, must run no longer than 4 hours maximum, so something like the German epic "Heimat" would not be allowed, but the original and Director's Cut's of Dances With Wolves, would, because they are still the same title.
    4) The film does not need to have ever been released on VHS or DVD, but must be a legitimate title!
    5) A maximum "set" of 3 single-sided DVD's will be allowed.

That's the rules, now let's play the game.

My choice, would be a Special Edition of: "Betty Blue" with both the original 2 hour cut, and the longer 3 hour director's cut (Version Longue), plus behind-the-scenes documentaries, trailers for each version of the film, and interviews with the two lead stars - Jean Hughes Anglade and Beatrice Dalle, as well as the director Jean-Jacques Beineix. A nice booklet showing the various artwork, and still photos, plus a brief history about its notoriety and popularity would also need to be included.

The movies would be in non-anamorphic widescreen, with a French-language Dolby Digital DTS soundtrack, and optional English subtitles, that only appear in the bottom black widescreen bar, and not on the bottom of the movie! It would also be THX approved, and be signed by Beatrice Dalle herself!

Okay, so that's what I'm looking for, and now it's your turn...!

Pooch

2. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto! But maybe in addition they could slip in an audio cd with the soundtrack. Excellent music on BB. [​IMG]

3. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm..
    I suppose I would be happy with "Once Upon A Time In America", full version with the tv version included?
    Like the Criterion "Brazil" box set?

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    GOODFELLAS, just having it with a good quality picture and on one side would be great but surely more is deserved for this classic, was it not its 10th anniversary last year ?

There has been so much written on this classic film that im sure no end of extras could be found for it.

Something in a similar vain to the RAGING BULL set that was released !!!

or BACK TO THE FUTURE which would again just be nice to have for the film alone but if they could include the HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS "FORE" Album on the disc as well I would be happy [​IMG]

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Desade,

I presume when you refer to the TV version of "Once Upon A Time In America", you mean the long-heard-of, but rarely-seen 6 hour cut?

To be honest, I don't know if this version ever actually existed. Plus, we need to bear in mind the following facts:
    1) The 6 hours, would've included room for TV adverts. Therefore, I'm guessing that the actual running time is more likely to be around 4hrs and 45m and 5hrs 15m (approx). As the regular version runs at approximately 219m, then there's really only around 30-50 minutes of new, restored and/or missing footage.

However, regardless, I agree with you, and it would be nice to see any version of this film on one DVD, with all the extras, etc, on a second DVD as well!

Pooch

6. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No.
    Seriously, I have not heard of any 6-hour version? The longest version I have heard of runs for 245 minutes, I suppose, as you say, this could well be the "6 hour" version.

I want to see the 98 minute version!