If it worth paying extra for decent DVI - HDMI cables?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Scottyyy, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Scottyyy

Scottyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    edit: doh, I spelt the thread title wrong. I always seem to do that when making threads. Meant to say "Is" of course.

I've just bought a Oppo 971H, and I stupidly did not research this model (it was also an impulse buy -- literally 23 seconds left on the auction when I looked at it so I bidded straight away after reading description) and did not know it didn't have a HDMI output and the chap I bought from is including a DVI - DVI cable.

My TV is a Panasonic TX-32LMD70 and does not have a DVI input, therefore I'm in need of a DVI to HDMI cable so I can connect this Oppo to my TV when it arrives. My question is, how much would the cheapy £5 cables from eBay degrade the quality compared to say:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/1M-DVI-HDMI-PRO.html

If there is a big difference I'll buy the better cable, otherwise I'll just go for the cheapy eBay ones.

Thanks

2. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You will get a different answer from everyone on this subject ! All I would say is to avoid the cheapest ones, The one which you have selected in the link is prob a mid priced one, so if you can afford it I would go for that one.

3. Scottyyy

Scottyyy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks.

I already bought one from the classifieds here. Apparantly it's a decent one so we'll see.

4. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    At that length it is pretty much irrelevent how much cable the cable costs. There may well be a difference in the quality of construction but the picture will be the same for all.

So personally I would have gone for the cheaper option, but still you're unlikely to be dissapointed either way.

John.